Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Oh, GREAT, Amanda! NOW you tell us about liquid bandage!!!

I did post it on another thread I guess I forgot it here.

to be totally honest,, my strips had a little helpful hand to come off. they kept getting caught on the underside of my shirt and pulled, so i stood in the shower under warm Water and nudged them along. all was healed though so no concerns, you can also use nail polish remover, as long as you have no open areas on your incisions.

Today I am hungry, feel like i have not eaten in 24 hours. have had all my liquid and Protein i am supposed to.. maybe I'll get a fill at post op, 4/4, if this feeling continues?

but the gas is crazy. and trying to be lady like to relieve it is tough. so glad i am home by myself and no one to turn their nose up at me for getting comfortable!!!!!

I'd have to say that the times I HAVE felt hungry are the days (or hours, sometimes) after I've strayed a little - had too much food, had something a bit carbier than usual. All of a sudden, I feel that vague, gnawing voice of hunger that has been weirdly quiet for a while now...

I GOT THE ITCH! what can i do to get rid of it???????

fenton at least i dont have to worry about belly hairs growing back that had to be horrible

Are you keeping your band a secret? How many people have you told? If you haven't told a lot of folks, do you think this will diminish your support?

I have been really thinking about this lately. I have not told most of my friends/family. The ones I have told have been very supportive. I wonder if Im holding myself back from further support by not sharing this news. But then again I don't want to deal with the possible one that will be a downer. (I don't have one in mind, but there is always "the one")

Just wondering.:confused2:

Hi all got my band Friday.Port site is the worst pain and of course the left shoulder pain. Other than that just drained from the surgery. oh and i gained 4 lbs but hopefully thats just Water only time will tell.

Are you keeping your band a secret? How many people have you told? If you haven't told a lot of folks, do you think this will diminish your support?

I have been really thinking about this lately. I have not told most of my friends/family. The ones I have told have been very supportive. I wonder if Im holding myself back from further support by not sharing this news. But then again I don't want to deal with the possible one that will be a downer. (I don't have one in mind, but there is always "the one")

Just wondering.:confused2:

I've told everyone that is remotely interested.

My co-workers know, my friends know, my family (except my MIL and that is another story) know.....and yes, it has created a GREAT circle of support for me.

I'm sure somewhere along the line there will be someone that is not supportive....oh well. My life, my choice.... I've always been pretty self-confident and I'm certainly not going to let a few naysayers rain on my beautiful band parade!

I have been amazed at the support from my co-workers....I work at a motorcycle shop, so we're talking biker guys, too....they've been wonderful.

At first I sort of kept it 'a secret' and then I decided that for me that was stupid. Keeping it a secret implies, again TO ME, that I've done something wrong or something to ashamed of. I'm NOT ashamed of taking control of my life, my eating, my weight.

Well yesterday was very bad for me. First day I've actually eaten food. I started with scrambled eggs with cheese. Only had about half of the egg until I was full. My girlfreind is in town, so we all went to the mall and walked about pushing our strollers. Walked around for about 2-3 hours and wasnt tired. While they were sitting, I was standing. They kept asking me if I was tired, but I wasnt. Finally decided I need to eat something else. I ordered a cup of chiken Soup from the Quiznos. I had the broth and a few noodles. Still hungary, so I ate half of a chicken nugget, I had bought my son. I drank a box apple juice, and some Water. Later that day we had to go to a family banquet and a party later that night. At the banquet, I had half of a piece of catfish, some greenbeans, and some banana pudding. It was all so good. I didnt feel like I had any restriction and it scared the hell out of me. About 5 hours later, I was at a club for my freinds bday party and had some more greenbeans, a few tables spoons of lasagna and some cranberry juice. I danced all night and felt fine. Woke up this morning and weighed myself and have gained 3 pounds. I'm scared to eat anything today, but most of all, I feel like I will never be able to go out and control my urge.

I have only told my family and 5 of my best friends . The one I thought was one of my closest friends is the one that didn't want me to have the surgery . She said I could do it on my own and that I was taking "the easy way out ". I'm 49 years old and still fat . This is not the first time I tried to lose weight . I've called her to go over and visit a few times and she made excuses not to have me over . The one time I saw her she didn't even mention anything about the surgery or the fact that I lost weight . The way I see it is thats her problem not mine .

Hi Lynn!

I guess I thought I would be one of the people who could go back to work in one week. I do work at home sometimes. I actually just emailed my boss and told him that I could work only if I worked Thursday and Friday at home. I have more sick time, so that is not really the problem. If I do work at home those 2 days, it will be a good way to ease my way back into the office. I can get up and down when I please and dress as I like. We are pretty casual at work, but I think *******Warning Fenton TMI****** the no bra thing at work could be a problem. :scared2:

Otherwise, I am slowly improving. I managed to gag down that gall bladder pill. YUCK! I am stopping by the Stanton pharmacy and getting the liquid version as soon as possible! It is hard enough to get all the Protein and liquid in even when it tastes good! That pill was nasty!

Otherwise, I am feeling better! I wasn't sure if I ever was going to feel better, but I have more times now that I feel good than not. I actually have a ton of restriction. I went to the Olive Garden with family yesterday and had their Soup. I managed to take some sips of the broth. It was amazing! I am happy with the thought that I can taste and not gourge my way through life now!

As far as telling. Well, I am keeping that to a minimum. I think it varies for everyone, but me personally nope, no way am I telling anyone else. The people in my life won't be surprised that I loose weight. I was on a diet by the dietician since January and have lost some weight anyway. If I really thought it would help someone, I would tell. I'm just not ready to have a nice conversation about how I took the easy way out. Nothing feels "easy" right now.

I have only told my DH, daughter, and one close friend. My co-workers are very opionated and would support me to my face but talk about my lack of control behind my back. I don't need that! My parents are no long alive which leaves my sister and brother. My sister, older by 2 years, downgraded a member of her church for having GS. I love my sister but she is one of those that sits on the front pew; therefore, her shi- don't stink!!! My brother (8 yrs younger) would support me if I chose to rob a bank (he'd be behind the steering wheel of the car yelling "come on sis") but if I tell him and not my sister she will make his life he--. My husband, daughter, and friend love me fat, skinny, or whatever so I know I have their support, no matter what, and then I have you guys who support me sight unseen. (sniffle sniffle).

JDUB, not fair, I was banded on the 20th but do not get to move to mushies much less food until 04/04. I am either blending my fruit yogart so there is no chunks or spitting out the fruit. Would kill for lasagna!!!!

I also have a question for all, how many calories do we need to eat to continue weight loss? I have added unflavored Protein to alot of things and drink the Protein Shots, so I am getting my Proteins but very few calories. I know this is needed. I have not lost an ounce in several days and I am getting discouraged. Input please!!!

Busy, I have the same concern as you about the amount of calories that I'm taking in and my weight not budging in the last few days. I know right now it's all about the healing process and I'm only Day 12 post-op, but my calorie content is only between 400-600 calories a day and I just don't think that is enough to keep my body out of the starvation mode. I'm in the mushy stage now for another couple of weeks but the types of food that I get to eat are very limited and low in calories so not sure that I'll get too many more calories in either. I asked this same question on the fifties thread that I post in and one of the veterans told me she keeps her calorie intake at least 1000 a day up to 1200 and has some weight loss every week. But I think, in my case, at least, I am going to have to be eating a more variety of foods that even my mushy stage allows in order to get that many calories in my meal plan, so I'm just sitting back and enjoying the little bit of restriction that I currently have and eating what I can when I want and if it means no weight loss for now, I'm ok with that. After 6 weeks, I can have pretty much whatever I want, within reason, trying to avoid high fat foods since this is a weight loss tool, of course.

I told just about everyone. I was amazed that every negative reaction I got came from other people that were fat too.

The info the nutritionist gave me said:

1st mo. 500-800

2-6 mo. 800-1000(rapid weight loss)

6-12 mo. 1000-1200(progressive weight loss)

beyond 12mo. 1200-1400

What rapid and progressive weight loss are I don't know. Is it 5 lbs a week 1lb a week. Healthy weight loss is said to be between 1 and 2 lbs a week, more then that and you start getting problems with malnutrition, gall bladder problems, hair loss and your skin hanging too much (not shrinking back).

Im not sure why the 2-6 mo is considered rapid unless it is because it is reduced cals. On the boards folks talk about not losing steadily/getting upset about not losing at all until some restriction/the sweet spot is found and that can take quite a few fills.

Seems everyone is different.