Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Hi Everyone!

Good luck to the recent banders from Monday, today and tomorrow.

I went through my pre-op testing this morning. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I had already done most of the work. I only had to give a little blood, go through volumes of paperwork and talk to the anestesiaologist. (Yes, I know I spelled that wrong!)

OK, now I am trying to avoid "last supper syndrome". I am on no real diet (other than 1600 calories a day) until Saturday night. Sunday and Monday I have to do Clear Liquids only. I am trying to avoid anything that will persuade me to "cheat". YIKES!

It is also becoming more real for me. Gosh I have less than a week and I will be banded. I am really having a hard time sleeping! I am looking forward to the time off. (I am taking a little over a week).

Ok, that is enough for now.

Hey Stellabella - I'm going in on the 26th also. I've been put under several times, and it is no big deal. They usually have you count and then you are gone. The next thing you know someone is waking you up. How is your pre-op diet going? Tomorrow I go in for the blood work and x-rays. I'm a little nervous about what my regular doctor is going to say about the lapband.

One week from today...most of us will be in the hospital already banded or ready to be banded. How is everyone feeling? nervous, excited, scared...you name it...a variety of emotions!!!

I have "hosptial school" on Thursday and then show up for surgery on the 25th at 6:45 am!!! Anyone else searching out what to bring to the hospital or what to have ready at home...I am compling my lists!!!

Hey Stellabella - I'm going in on the 26th also. I've been put under several times, and it is no big deal. They usually have you count and then you are gone. The next thing you know someone is waking you up. How is your pre-op diet going? Tomorrow I go in for the blood work and x-rays. I'm a little nervous about what my regular doctor is going to say about the lapband.

Thanks, Carol- it helps to hear people talk about it like it's no big deal. Realistically, I know it's not; people are put under general anesthesia every day, but not ever having done it myself, it's still a little scary to give up control like that.

My pre-op diet is actually going great- I'm drinking Protein shakes to replace two meals a day and then having a lean/green meal for dinner. Today, however, is my birthday, and I can't say I won't miss the big dinner we would normally eat out tonight and the nice red wine I would normally drink, not to mention the birthday cake that I'll be skipping this year! We are still going out to eat, but I'll just have a chicken breast and steamed vegetables, I suppose. But it's okay, because I know it's going to be worth it. Have you started a pre-op diet?

One thing I dread is the magnesium citrate I have to drink the day before surgery. Does anyone know how long that stuff takes to do its thing? Like, after how many hours can I expect the 'effects' to be over? They told me to drink it between 1-2 pm the day before, but I pick up my son from school at 2, so I think I'll wait until after then to drink it so I can be home for the duration. Then we are leaving that night for Memphis (about an hour drive) since I have to be at the hospital at 5:00am the next day. So the whole mag citrate business needs to be over with before I get in the car, if you know what I mean!

Good luck on your pre-op tests tomorrow Carol!

well im home have a little pain in my upper chest i think from gas, and a little light headed but other than that i feel great. surgery only took 50 mins and he said everything went great. im glad im home.

I am getting my band on Wednesday. I am so nervous and excited about it. I thought the day would never come and now it is almost here. I haven't gone shopping yet. I guess I should do that tonight. Today I am on a cleaning binge.

Weird, I've been doing that all today. I dont have much of an appetite either.

Wow Scrappy. You had your surgery today and you are home already? You are the bomb!! Keep us up to date on how you do okay? Hope it goes well for you. I go for pre-op on Thursday and my surgery is next Wednesday.............Kathy

Well Harley is home!

Got to the hospital at 0545.....was in the pre op area by 0600....EKG and then started the IV. Anesthesiologist came in a chatted for a bit, delightful guy....surgeon came in and did tell me that they WEREN'T going to use the Realize band after all....she started to tell me why, but the sleepy juice started working......GONZO....

Next thing I remember I'm in recovery with a nurse whispering in my ear to breathe....guess I sorta forgot for a bit....but slowly came around.

They said it was a 'textbook' procedure and commented on how 'beautiful' my incisions looked......guess that's a relative term, huh?

Brought my family in after a few minutes and isn't it funny what a relief it is to see them....suddenly all is right with the world when someone you love holds your hand.

Was up walking to the bathroom shortly after that and that caused a little nausea, so crashed for another hour.....the second stroll went much better, so got dressed and came home~

Right now, tummy is sore......feels like I got hit by a 2x4, but no nausea and really feeling pretty good. Have been drinking some Water, but no desire to tackle anything else yet.

Overall, I'm very pleased..............

Hey that is awesome. I am glad to see some of us coming home the same day. Maybe there is hope for me to do the same next week. Harley and Scrappy you take care and get lots of rest. Hope all is well with you both...........Kathy

well im home have a little pain in my upper chest i think from gas, and a little light headed but other than that i feel great. surgery only took 50 mins and he said everything went great. im glad im home.

YEAH for you!!

It's sort of like our second birthdays, isn't it!

Glad that your procedure was an uneventul as mine!

XOXO

Wow! It's a shamrock EXPLOSION out there! Yay you upcoming bandsters!

And welcome back Rhonda and Harley! You guys are much more switched on than I was on the Op Day - I think I missed a couple of days before posting, feeling a bit groggy and non-contributory. How fantastic that, in the immortal words of the late, great Mr. James Brown, you hit it and quit!

Good to have you back among us...

actually i was banded on monday and came home tuesday. im on my way to being half the woman i am now.

Glad to see you guys made it through just fine, it's my turn tomorrow morning. Surgeon's office called me again this morning to change the time from 11:00 to 9:00 in the morning. I have to be there @ 7:00am. I'm not sure whether I'll stay the nite or not, I found out they have me down for 23 hour observation, but said if I felt well enough I could go home before. Day 2 of liquids going well, I haven't been as hungry as I thought I would be, but I'm glad I only had to do 2 days of this. However, the first 3 days after surgery are the same things so I'm really not over it yet, I'm looking forward to creamy Soups come Saturday, am I bad, lol.

Well i made it . And I am home with THE BAND

I was in the operating room at 9:30 am and Home by 2:30 getting comfy on the couch

the port incision and the left shoulder Have a bit of pain but nothing major. well i think I will go have a nap and get some fluids,,,maybe post up later with my detailed

experience , Glad to be home and happy for all the other bansters today. Now let's get some rest.

Woohoo!

You newbie bandsters: get walking! You'll see how much better it makes you feel...

Congrats!