Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

I've been thinking more about food, and about how I'm going to work it into my life now that I'm banded. I've worked in the restaurant industry for the last decade or so, and am passionate about the stuff. I don't think that was what made me fat: I got fat because I'm a binge eater - if I had a rough day, I'd load up with Twixes, and then go get ice cream later, and maybe some Twinkies, easily taking in 2,000 or 3,000 extra calories in sweet junk. I still don't understand how I am not diabetic.

At the moment, I can't eat much; I assume that will change. But I also don't WANT to eat much. I went out with my girlfriend tonight, and had a hot chocolate - a real one, with chocolate melted into milk, none of this powdered cocoa mix crap. I was fine with the calories - I'm a bit worried that I haven't hit 1,000 calories of daily intake since banding (at my size, just to maintain my weight, I should be taking in over 4,000 a day). But I found that after 1/3 of a cup, I was fine. I took the rest in a paper cup to go, and will have it for Breakfast tomorrow morning, after I've choked down 20 ounces of Isopure for my 40 g Protein.

And I think that's how this process will work for me. I'll order many things I used to love, but I'll only eat a little of them. At restaurants, I'll only have an appetizer, and even that will probably be too much for me. For the first time, I think I'll be able to leave food I love on my plate.

There will obviously be serious limitations - about once a month, I enjoy a great steak - but I think it'll be fun. I actually like this kind of challenge. And luckily, at this point in restaurant history, there's a big vogue towards small plate dining. So at this point, I believe I can have my cake, and eat it too. I can still enjoy foods I love, just not in the volumes I used to, nor even in the volumes normal people do.

And I'm OK with that.

But next week I start on pureed foods, and I know two dishes I'm going to have during that time, and I"m looking forward to them tremendously.

Sounds like you've thought it all through, Fenton!

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.....so good for you!

It would really hard to be in the food biz.......but you certainly have the resolve to deal with it!

My banding date is Monday -- tomorrow! I'm so excited but nervous at the same time. I have a feeling I'll need to take something to help go to sleep tonight but maybe not. I have all my grocery shopping done and I think I'm ready. Just need to do laundry today so I don't have to think about that after getting home.

One question I haven't seen is --- did you take your own pajamas and robe to the hospital or just wear the ugly hospital gown! I think I'd be more comfortable in my own but would like to hear what others did.

Yay Special K!

If you run around a lot buying stuff and washing stuff and tidying in preparation, by the time your head hits the pillow, you'll pass right out. I had no problems sleeping the night before my banding.

I brought pyjamas and a robe, but never used them. Bariatric facilities have extra large gowns that will fit you fine. I had one on the normal way, another on backwards, so at no point were my privates infringed....

In fact, I regret bringing just about everything except my mobile phone and a laptop loaded with videos; of course, if you're not staying over night, the laptop is unnecessary.

Holy cow....I dreamed last night that I ate some chicken enchiladas and rice....only a few bites, but I woke up in a PANIC thinking they wouldn't do my surgery now.....then I couldn't go back to sleep........UGH.

Today is the day to tidy the house, get the laundry done, go shopping for the things I'll need post-op.....

Monday I have to work and then have a MASSAGE scheduled for after work....thought it would be a good way to relax the night before surgery....

....then Tuesday.....off we go!

Can't believe this is really happening!

I'm down seven pounds since Tuesday!

Great weight loss, Harley! It'll be good to have you in the post-band camp...!!!

A massage sounds like a GREAT idea, too.

Special K and HarleyGirl, good luck on Monday and Tuesday, I am behind you on Thursday. I did grocery shopping today but did not feel I bought any food for myself after banding except SF Jello and SF popsicles. What foods do you have ready at home?

right there with you surgery is on Wednesday.

As far as taking a robe and PJ.. not going to bother, I am taking my slippers though.

not sure if i can get a wireless access in the hospital so will probably leave my laptop at home, just gonna be there over night..THink I can live without it that long!!!!

Shopping is all set, SF Jello and popsicles, plenty of Protein Drink mixes and shakes/puddings

Work will be crazy the next 2 days. they want me to get everything done for the next 3-4 weeks before I am out, yeah that will happen!

Gonna do a bit of housecleaning today and rest.

Good luck to all

Lynn

I have chicken broth, Unjury chicken Soup Protein mix, vanilla and Choc protein mix, skim milk, SF pudding, 80-100 cal FF lite flavored yogurt, frozen fruit like strawberries, cherries, and I'm freezing some bananas after peeling them to be able to put into the blender with the Vanilla Protein Shake mix. I have low sodium Soups that I was going to puree in blender/food processor. SF hot chocolate, SF cough drops - I was told your throat might be a little sore after due to tube down it, Chloraseptic for your throat for same reason. Be careful and don't use SF cough drops if you have any tendency at all to chew it or swallow it. Need to just let it melt in your mouth.

Thanks for the info about leaving the PJs and robe at home. I guess I'll endure the ugly gowns for a day. They gave us socks with those treads on it so I probably won't bring slippers now that I think of it. Less to take in, less to bring home. I'm going to bring a book and maybe a little game - solitaire, soduku, or mini-Scrabble electronic hand games. Don't have a laptop except for work so that's staying home.

I go in tomorrow at 11 and surgery at 1. I also have been cleaning like a nut even did the kids rooms really good. Then I have threatened them that it better stay clean. I want to come home tuesday to all the dishes washed and the house clean as I plan on leaving it Monday morning. I'm afraid they will just lick the plates clean and put them back into the cuboards so they dont have to wash them.

Pray for me that i really can walk into that hospital tomorrow and let them operate on me. I feel so scared of all that before stuff. I dont even worry about the pain or after problems.

Rhonda from pennsylvania

Now we just need someone on friday.

Monday-Rhonda & Special K

Tuesday-Harley

Wednesday- Lynn

Thursday- Busy

Friday??

I took PJ's (a top and bottom), robe, slippers and flannel pillow case. Because of the IV I couldn't get the top on. I didn't have the cath so I could wear the bottom. I wore the robe to walk around in, cause the IV was long enough to make it down the sleeve. In bed I put the robe on top of the sheets like a blanket and that with the flannel pillow case made it more comfy.

They didn't let me suck on throat drops(said it would mess with the stomach) so I used the spray stuff(under cloak of cover) and didn't swallow.

Don't forget to bring your list of meds for the Anesthesiologist.

Every morning Im going to send 5 minutes of warm blessings to each of you.

:rolleyes:

Now we just need someone on friday.

Tuesday-Harley

Wednesday- Lynn

Thursday- Busy

Friday??

Every morning Im going to send 5 minutes of warm blessings to each of you.

:rolleyes:

That's very sweet! I appreciate it!

I'm same day in and out, so the only thing I'm really taking is a pillow for my tummy on the ride home and my iPod.....I do much better if I can listen to music, so I'll be popping it on as soon as possible!

bring your Ipod in with you (and have your someone special hold it during surgery). Having it in pre-op and post-op would be comforting.

Tuesday-Harley

Wednesday- Lynn

Thursday- Busy

Best of luck to you guys!

I am scheduled for Monday, but I think I may not be a Shrinking Shamrock once I talk to the cardiologist on Monday. I am so scared that they will change my date because of these new findings with my heart. I am really worried! Trust me, I would rather know now than find out during surgery, but last week they made it sound like it will take time to get my heart under control before going under a general anesthesia.

Either way, I am going to GNC or Vitamin Store tomorrow to get some Protein drinks and powder. Can I get unjury and Isopure drinks there too? All I have at home now are Medifast and Slimfast Optima. I really want to be sure I get my full Protein amounts in after surgery.

Christine