Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.....please...someone bitch slap me...poke me....make fun of me....whatever....but the last two days have been horrible.

Not like "old times" horrible......but several pieces of salt Water taffy, three or four bites of cake, no food logging.....ARGH.....

Why do I do this to myself?

I'm leaving on vacation Friday....I've GOT to get myself back in the saddle if I'm going to survive a weeks vacation.....

so let the bitch slapping begin......

Harley, why ARE you doing this to yourself? I wondered where you'd got to for the last couple of days...

I think one of the problems of this Way of Eating is the sense that we're really restricted in what we are allowed to eat. While that is, in some ways, true, the fact is, at the end of the day, with a little effort we CAN eat what we want.

The thing is, if we eat too much, we'll put ON weight. You keep on what you're doing, and it'll all be pointless - all the time and effort it took to learn about banding, to get insurance approval, the pre-op diet, the surgery, the recovery, the liquid diet, the mushy diet, all your first posts in this conference, all would be destroyed if the weight goes back on without thought.

I think the thing is that you CAN incorporate things like the occasional piece of taffy or the occasional piece of cake into your dietary "budget" - you just have to make allowances for them. If you have a piece of taffy, try and make up for it by having less calories elsewhere, or (better) by doing more exercise.

I think the Forbidden Foods mindset is a dangerous one for dieters - it makes life feel like suffering, when what it really should be all about is the pleasure we take in losing weight, becoming healthier, approaching goal, becoming more attractive, more energetic, etc. Focus on your goals, limit your intake of junk, and if you do eat junk, try to make up for it by increasing your exercise.

We all know you can do it, Harley. So... JUST DO IT!

Edited by Fenton

Hope, good luck with your medical stuff. I'll be thinking of you.

Kerri, it was so cool to see you kayaking...that is one of my goals...to be able to get in one without the fear of getting stuck!

Fenton....it would be so cool to ride on a board built for you and with graphics designed by a friend. I can't wait to see pics of you on your board.

Lynn....I join the other in the chant for you to cross over to onederland....I am so close to 250 I can almost feel it...can't wait to be there.

Christine

I too am of the philosophy that Forbidden Foods is a recipe for disaster. I have to allow myself a sweet indulgence here and there and compensate with extra excersize or lower calorie options throughout the day. When I am totally restricted it backfires and results in a binge....no good.

Harley, you can get back on track. You want this so badly, you paid so much for it. Work with your band...don't fight against it or sabbotage yourself.

I am leaving for Dubai today. I am going to visit friends I have not seen in almost 11 years. I am soooo excited to be going. It's only for a few days, but it's going to be wonderful. I'll be back on Monday. Hopefully by then I'll be below 250...dang scale won't budge....but at least it's not going up!

Christine

Looks like vacation timne is hitting us all.

I am away for 5 days and know there will be challenges. We all just need to remember to make wise hoices. And yes, an occassional treat is ok. I was at the beach Saturday and had a favorite of mine, beach fries... mmmmm good, but had about 10 pieces and stopped. Sure I would have eaten more, but the band told me to stop.. so I threw out what I didn't eat.. At least the sea gulls enjoyed them :biggrin2:

When on vacation we don't always have the freedom to eat where and what we should.. so for all of us heading on the road. think positive, we will all survive and come back happier, rested and relaxed....:drool:

I seriously laid awake last night trying to put this together and figure out why....and as much as I'd like to report that I had a Dr. Phil moment of clarity.....I didn't......BUT I did end it....right now, right here...back on track.

I can't , won't, will not go back to THAT place of self-hatred and embarassment.....I will only go forward to THIS place of good health, lower BMI and a tighter ass!

Vacation will be a challenge. I'm planning for it....buying a lot of my own food, bringing a journal, packing my hiking shoes....we're going to West Yellowstone/Island Park....so no more beautiful place for exercise.

I don't have the restriction I wish I did, but I DO have the restriction that I have and I will work with that. I stepped on the scale this morning and was up a pound.....so that's it...I'm done.

Anyway....I'm leaving Friday for a week, but will be around until then!

Harley- Yellowstone is beautiful!! Taking food with you is great. Planning your meals is is wonderful way to stay on track.

Good luck!!

Harley- Yellowstone is beautiful!! Taking food with you is great. Planning your meals is is wonderful way to stay on track.

Good luck!!

I love it there. I don't know how much time we'll actually spend in the park, but there's so much to do in the area.

We rent a lodge up there every year......same group of friends, it's just a great trip!

Here's where we are staying:

Huckleberry Lodge Island Park Idaho Yellowstone National Park

We do all of the cooking in, but of course, planning meals for a large group...it's not always...okay RARELY....lowfat/band-friendly.....but I can work around it. My biggest concern is drinking.....we're a pretty party hardy bunch.....daytime is no big deal, but evenings will be tough, I think!

A one pound spike is GREAT! I went up a pound last week, which was horrible, because it drove me out of Morbidly Obese and back into Super Obese. Which was great, because it made me say Lifestyle vacation OVER. I got back on the horse, and, when I weighed in yesterday was down 3 lbs.

Yellowstone will be a great place to burn up calories, too - walking, hiking, climbing. If you're worried about the drinking, you could set yourself a limit, and try to stick to that. Or maybe just plan ahead and bring, whatever, a case of Diet Snapple Iced Tea, and allow yourself one night of excess drinking. I'm sure that you can figure out a way to manage the situation...

Wow, though! A WEEK in Yellowstone! That'll be fantastic!

I have a problem with social situations and eating/drinking. I seem to get talking and before I know it my hand is in the chips or my drink is empty. My Dr gave me a good trick. He said to bring something to do with my hands. A charm in my pocket or hold my sunglasses. Just something to keep them out of the bowls. As to drinks set a pattern of 3:1. Three Water to one booze. Either you will get alot of water or make your booze last longer.

Wow Harley that lodge looks awesome. You can do it, just plan for an occasional treat or some drinks. Try to drink something that has less calories in it. Get in lots of exercise and you may be pleasantly surprised when you get home and see a weight loss. Have a great time.

. As to drinks set a pattern of 3:1. Three Water to one booze. Either you will get alot of Water or make your booze last longer.

I like this A LOT, I think I just found my plan!!!

That's what I love about this group....support and brainstorming!

PERFECT!

I have the best horoscope today.

"The hardest part of making changes in your life isn't thinking up ways to change -

- it's putting that change into action! You need a lot of self-discipline to get started

- especially today, when your energy is going to be challenged by the demands people are putting on you. They are draining you and it might be time to get some alone time to recharge. A helpful friend is ready to step in to lend a hand or just be your cheerleader, so don't be too proud to accept their aid."

I got excused from jury duty. WooHoo. Something about my son being a Corrections Officer where the defendant is being held and my daughter in law being an Assistant District Attorney in the office that is prosecuting. I said it wouldn't effect my decision but...

Im back at work. Putting out fires again. I wish I had been chosen for a nice simple civil trial of about 2-3 days. A little variation from normal.

On the plus side a friend has a beach house and asked me out this weekend. WooHoo 2X

Whoa - a whole lot of WooHoo there, Amanda! That's a great suggestion re: the drinking. I'm not a drinking man, but I do try to have at least one glass of red wine a week - good for the heart. I'd like to have two a week, but I don't buy wine for myself, and only have it when I'm at a restaurant, and, since I'm trying to limit my going out...

I think the idea of having something to fiddle with is an excellent one, too; they give the same advice to smokers trying to quit.