Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Oh, blah blah blah!

But, yeah, it's a painful and a sensitive issue, and ultimately a matter of life or death. We can't let ourselves get worked up over How Society Sees Fat People - our anger or pain will change nothing. Instead, we have to concentrate on how good it feels to go kayaking, or to buckle a normal seatbelt on a plane, or donate huge bags of clothes (as I did this weekend!). On how good it feels to be finally going in the right direction...

I have only lost 35 pounds since being banded March 20th.
not a bad number
For some reason I cannot lose weight anymore!
it's called a plateau and they will happen and they do end
I am always hungry and I just got a fill last month!
fenton said a really good thing a while back something like "when I feel hunger it reminds me that I am losing weight and that is good"
I did a 5k the other day
good for you
and I didnt lose anything then either
I too am working hard with a trainer and not seeing fast results.
I am eating what I am supposed to
are you?
but then I get so hungry afterwards that I just give up and eat something else that I am craving
trading what you want most-weight loss-for what you what at the moment-a treat-.
I am surprised that everything I have eaten goes down just fine
don't be suprised if you are taking small bites & chewing well it should go down,
but in a way I wish it wouldnt!
don't put it in your mouth it won't go down
I have never PB'd or really thrown up from eating.
thank god me either
I feel like I have stretched the band or something
maybe you should try the 5 day pouch test-http://5daypouchtest.com/.
My husband isnt a big help either!
guys are dense
He is always asking, want to go have chinese
I love Chinese food, steamed chicken and broccoli w/garlic sauce
or do you want a glass of wine?
a small glass every so often isn't going to hurt,
Seriously STOP ASKING! Then he gets upset with me and says he doesnt know.
talk with him about how he can support you and research what you can have at restaurants before you go so you will be ready to go anywhere
BS. Sorry, if anyone has any suggestions on what I might be able to do....I would love to hear them!
here you go
I guess I should get another fill
talk with your Dr about your concerns.
Oh yea I am trying to order the bodybugg system but being that we are overseas we might not be able to. I hope I can get it!!!!
good luck with that, probably like getting a Wii fit here

Ok that is my take on this. Relax you're doing great. It took a while to gain the weight it will take a while to drop it. Hugs to your husband for his service to the USA!!

ok i though i was being nifty with the quotes but it just can out really long. sorry.

I've only lost about 35 lbs too and my surgery was on March 7. I exercise every day and eat what I should. I know it's just going to be slow. Losing weight has always been a struggle for me. This is just going to be a long one!

A few people have suggested using "daily plate" for food journaling and exercise tracking and its free. Since I started tracking I can see why some weeks went by without a loss on the scale. It really helps me be focused!

Yesterday was a very self indulgent kind of day, and I didn't lie I put every ugly thing down I ate and WOW :tongue: what an eye opener! I knew it was bad but geez!!! But today I've been a perfect angel:lol:!

Tess

I've been using the daily plate too. It helps with food but when you track your exercise, I think it way over estimates how much you burn. I bought a heart monitor thing to wear when I exercise for a better estimate. It's still in the box though.

PEOPLE, PEOPLE!

I have lost a mere 12 pounds since my 3//25/08 surgery. The numbers that you all are seeing are FABULOUS! You body will always, at some point, plateau. Part of it is survival mechanism. If you chart weight loss, you will see it is a jumpy thing. It is also the reason that I don't get on the @#(& scale every day.

Now, having that, I think the other suggestions made are very sensible. Tracking what you eat is a pain, but it is very revealing. Also, give yourself a break!

Fenton - you don't duplicate your stories much. We have quite a few new folks showing up and they might not know about the snowboarding. I think it is wonderful that you are getting a custom board.

Kerri- who knows maybe the skinny chick was a chubby chick once and was thinking "you go"! Or, quite possibly she was thinking, "holy crap my thighs are rubbing". I have noticed that body image seems to have little to do with the actual reality. I think you are wonderful for getting out to the gym. Besides, that is how many chubby people get skinny....

Amanda - I liked you post, even though it was long. It looked really cool. Bummer about the trial. I suspect it is a criminal trial because civil trials rarely last that long. I'm sure your trainer will work with you.

Trisha - you have done wonderful! I have only one question to ask - Are you eating enough Protein? Protein is a wonderful thing. It helps you feel full.

OK, I saw that doctor about a different medical issue that has cropped up for me. The good news is that it is most likely not much. The bad news is I still have to get a biopsy. YUCK! More good news is that it absolutely won't affect my band in any way! The doctor is in the same group as the doctor who did my lapband. She asked about my progress and I fessed up that I had lost only 12 pounds and she said don't give up. I kind of thought that was funny because how the heck can I give up? Unless they take it back out, it is there to stay......so I have to continue down the path!

I have to tell you that if someone wants my band, they will have to restrain me. While I am large, I can be very mean. I guess having lots of male cousins and a brother can do that to you! :tongue:

I think 35 pounds in 10 weeks is a huge weight loss - that's 3.5 pounds per week, more than the goal of 1 - 2 pounds per week. I have lost 60 pounds in that time period, but thats because I'm carrying a huge amount of excess weight, and I'm carrying it aggressively and pretty fast for long distances every day.

I think it's unreasonable to see a 3.5 pound weight loss as "slow"! That's really, really FAST!

I know my WL rate is going to drop soon (since I'm now down a total of 86 pounds since I started, that 86 pounds less for me to carry ergo less calories burned), so I'm planning on joining a gym and really pounding away at the machines.

And Tess is absolutely right - journaling your intake is an excellent way to make sure you ARE taking in what you think you're taking in. It's a simple equation: if you're burning more calories than you take in, you're losing weight. And if you're losing weight slowly, either you're taking in too many calories, or you're not burning enough. There are rare instances where you're not taking in enough calories/protein, and the body starts to drop the metabolic rate and break down the Protein, but I'd wager that for the vast majority of solidly stalled bandsters, the problem is that they're not realizing just how all the food they're taking in adds up...

hope, we'll all hold your hand psychically when you go for your biopsy.

And brothers are HELL!

The Daily Plate is my saviour!!!! If I did not log everything I ate I know I would be overearing and probably not getting in my Protein.< /span>

The exercise log does seem to be a bit high for some things. but by going to the "Y" the machines also log calories burned and they are low. so I try to registera happy medium between the 2 values..

I do kn ow that since I began going to the "Y" on a regular basis I see more weight coming off.

I am just a few pounds shy of onederland :) luckily I have had a steady loss, but know it will hit soon where I slow down..

One pound to Onederland!!!

How do you chant in cyberspace?

Lynn! LYNN! LYNN! LYNN!!! LYNN!!!

Thanks Fenton. I accept all psychic hand holding. :lol:

Way to go Lynn!!!! I'll join Fenton and all others in the chant! Lynn, Lynn, Lynn.......woohoo!!!!!:)

Lynn - I am cheering you on too!:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2: And you're right about the exercise tracker, I think its way too generous! But I just feel proud to be able to put something down that I did that day!

Hope - I hope you have a quick recovery from your medical issue and I hope everything goes smoothly for you!:lol:

Fenton - You won't regret doing the gym thing. I have been going since last August faithfully and soon it will be a year. I am afraid to admit it but... I think I actually like to exercise and SWEAT!!:) Actually, I do a lot of thinking and wondering as I walk, its kind of cathartic and relaxing!

Tess

:biggrin2:thanks for the encouragement.

Can't wait to go back to my PCP in a few weeks and be below 20. and to go with this t bp has lowered and meds are at 50%, maybe no more after my appt. and I have another annual appt to make, the one most girls love so much. That DR will fall on the floor when he sees this weight. he has been on my case for at least 10 years to lose the weight.

So as for all of us,,we know we are doing this for us, a healthier lifestyle and a happier one!!

I only hope with being out of town for 4 days I can keep myself in line. I am seeing several people I have not seen since January..boy will they be surprised :)

That's FANTASTIC that your BP and meds have dropped/been cut so much! Do you feel better at your lower doses?

I think that's probably the best NSV of all - a genuine improvement in health, even if you don't feel particularly different...