Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band in Mexico

450 ...are you telling me he does 9 to 10 lapbands in a day???

how does he doit? he must be exhausted by the end of the day

I believe that total is for his surgery center, which consist of three surgeons.

My daughter and brother both had lapband surgery in Monterrey with the Dr. you mentioned there. They both had a wonderful experience. Neither are spanish speaking. They said the hospital and facility they stayed at for a few days after were nicer then most US hospitals they have seen. Most Drs in Mexico have been doing the lapband much longer than the US docs.

Go to the first sticky in this forum-------it is WAB's thread on choosing a Mexican surgeon, the info in it is invaluable!

Click on the heading Doctors and Hospitals

Under it there will show all the different threads.

Those with recurring pertinant information have been made into "sticky's"---it is the first one. IT will explain to you how the Dr.'s both there and in the US manipulate the percentages they advertise, and will tell you how to ask the questions you need to. It is a great help!!

Kat

Dr Ortiz and Dr Martinez do the surgeries together. They usually do 3 to 5 a day, from what I have seen. The surgery takes 35-55 minutes. When I say "from what I have seen" that is from accompanying my daughter, getting banded myself, and going into the office for 3 fills.

Hi Snowbird,

We're about the same age and I'm scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on April 18. Did you notice any significant difference between your recovery time and your daughter's? I'm excited, but also quite nervous! Did you have a lot of people who thought you were crazy to have surgery in Tijuana?

Thanks for your help!

Well, like I said, I wasn't sure about the exact percentages but the national average for band complications is 3 to 5%. I looked all over for the email the coordinator sent me with their stats on it, and must have deleted it, but it was 2-4%. These of course are the patients that he's aware of. I don't think that any doctor (U.S or international) can be expected to know and/or apply other complication numbers to their stats if they're not aware of the problem. You can email the center directly if you want more information, lori@obesitycontrolcenter.com, which I would recommend to anyone looking for a surgeon simply for their own peace of mind.

Hi,

I was just checking in to see how you are doing after lap band...? I ended up having gastric bypass here in Chicago, just last month. Doing fine; working on my stamina. But you really helped me in the initial stages, so thank you. Hope you are doing well!

Alyssa

Hi,

I had my surgery done in Monterrey, Mexico by Dr. Rumbaut. I got along great. Everything and everyone were first rate. I had my surgery done on 1/3/08 and am now down 66 lbs. I have been back to see them once since the surgery to get my first, and only thus far, fill. Dr. Rumbaut referred me to a NC doctor for my fills, but I just love them. I've seen the NC doctor, and will probably start getting fills there, but wish I could afford to continue going to Monterrey. I don't know if this helps, but I would give Dr. Rumbaut and his team a 100% rating!

I totally agree. I had my surgery done by Dr. Rumbaut on 1/3/08 and thought everything & everyone were first rate! I highly recommend this doctor and his team. Dr. Rumbaut has done over 5000 lapbands. He does anywhere from 6-8 lapbands twice a week (Tues/Thurs.) and he does his gastric by-pass surgeries on Wed. The hospital I stayed at was better than the one in my hometown in NC. Don't worry about not speaking spanish. The doctor's office gives you a sheet of anything you could ever want/need written in english on one side and translated into spanish for the nurses on the other side of the sheet. Plus, there is always several english speaking nurses/staff around.

The hotel, which is the Hampton Inn, speaks english too. You won't have any problems at all.

I have heard Wonderfull things about Dr. Rumbaut.. Though..

I have never even heard of Dr.Ortiz ??

I ....Am a very satisfied post Patient of of Dr. Aceves.. I had the "Gastric sleeve" done Dec. 4th 2007, Here I am..... 6 months later, and I have Very sucsessfuly lost over 115 lbs !!

Keep you options open !! Check with Rumbaut, Rodriguez, and "My surgeon" Dr. Alberto Aceves ! He is A true Bariatric Genius !!

((He is in my prayers at night, and thanks through the day !))

:thumbup: Life is Good !!!:thumbup:

Check out my personal website tracking my Journey @

MySpace.com - Randall - 45 - Male - DELTONA, Florida - www.myspace.com/fatboynomore

If It Helps Any .. There Is Also Dr Huacuz In Tijuana .. I Had My Surgery Done March 12th .. I Have Lost 40lb So Far ..a Little Slow At The Weight Loss Thing But Verything Has Been Working Out Just Fine .. You Can Also Meet With Him And Ask Questions ..

Check out Dr. Valencia too. He helped me when I went to a small clinic with prices that were too good to be true ( and boy I found that out) and then ran into problems two years later and they wouldn't help me out. He does surgery in TJ at the Hospital Angeles which is very modern and way better then most hospitals in America or in Ensenada at Hospital Velmar. I liked the city Ensenada way better then TJ it was beautiful and very tourist friendly, but the hospital is better in TJ. Dr. Valencia does bands, bypass, and sleeves and help teachs these at UCLA. He will also give you his status and tell you about any mistakes. He will also tell you flat out whether or not he will even consider you for surgery not send me your money or a deposit and then you go down and all the sudden you can't get it done. I have heard good things about alot of doctors in Mexico and even had Dr. Ortiz's mom email me to help me out but no one called me when I was having problems but Dr. Valencia. I wish I had done research before heading over and had picked a good surgeon my first time.

Good luck with whoever you choose just remember a few hundred (or thousand) dollors cheaper is not worth your life.