Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going to my 1st appointment 2/25/08 and I am worried that I do not have enough information about past diets that I have tried. I have seen many doctors for weight lost but not since my insurance stop covering weight loss progams only surgery. I don't have any doctor information just self diet plans like slim fast and over the counter drugs, any suggestions on what to do?:confused2:

Most of the surgeons have sample letters that show what the insurance companies are looking for. Call and ask the office people if they have one to share with you. I got mine when I went for the required meeting with the dietician.

Hi. I begun my journey with my first visit to the surgeon on Jan 22. Like you, I had questions regarding the insurance company & their coverage. I called BC/BS of NJ before going and they were really informative. I was told, like you, that I needed 6 months of medically supervised weight loss plans. I was a little bummed since the last medically supervised program I was on was back in the early 1990's! While I was surfing on this site, and waiting to see if the hospital had those almost 20 year records (which they didn't), I had seen someone else was going through the same thing. One of the suggestions on this board was to just go to your PC doctor once a month, get weighed and talk about different weight loss plans. Make sure you tell your Dr that he/she need to write those notes in your chart specifically about weight loss plans. Good thing I read that little blog because I am soon going to be on month 3 of weigh in's. It was a good thing that I did that because those hospital records were never found. My surgeon's office was really helpful with this and told me that they would write down my visit with them as just an office visit so that the ins would cover the visit. I was told that even if the doctors were in my plan, they would not cover ANY appts until I was approved. I explained all this to the Psyc, Pulm, and Cardio docors. I took a chance and went to see 2 out of the 3 so far and everything has been approved. I really did take a chance and I wouldn't recommend that chance to anyone. I was just really up front and honest with the office managers in the doctors offices telling them that there could be a chance I wouldn't be covered since I wasn't approved yet and they worked the magic that they do with those codes! At least make your appts so that you have them cause it could take a while to be seen. Start by going to see your PCP and charting those weights once a month. Don't ever see anything as a set back, just keep pushing through & getting all your information. Get a notebook, keep notes and especially get names and dates of people that you speak with at the insurance company. This is a great place to come for advice because people have either gone through it or are just like you and I beginning our journey's! I hope this helps. Hang in there!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches