Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hoarding clothes

I felt panic giving away clothes during previous diet frenzies, and it turned out to be justified. But this time I'm even getting rid of some of my old favorites. I sent some stuff for a bandster clothing exchange in Vegas last fall, where lots of women donated clothes and everyone who attended could go on a free shopping spree. I think that was a great idea. Like Becky, I'm sending clothes to a couple of people from this site, and I'm saving a few things a shorter friend of mine from out of town admired a while back -- luckily she's handy with a needle so she won't have trouble hemming the giant sleeves.

Terri, I admit the BBQ sounds like fun, but you might find a fellow bandster moving through your previous size who could use some of your clothes. Someone about your height who's 20-40 lbs. heavier would probably be grateful -- and she can pass the stuff along to someone else as she shrinks. A big LBT hand-me-down chain! Also lots of homeless shelters and other charities are delighted to get stuff in larger sizes.

Vines, I think the hoarding impulse is a natural one. I bet everyone here can relate to your fear of gaining the weight back. But look at all the success stories. Look at your own incredible motivation. If you're really getting freaked out (and believe me, I am speaking from experience here), get a bunch of cheap airtight plastic bins -- Target or Walmart has 'em -- and store your "fat clothes" there. If you don't have room in your house or apt. building, maybe you can store them in a friend's basement. Then after you get your band and time passes, you can see how you feel.

Zoe, Of course I am going to give the good ones to a charity. The ones I am going to burn are the ones you can see through. I have lots of old old old clothes that I have been wearing for sooooooo long that no one could wear them after me. There are no fellow bandsters anywhere close to me. I live in a very small mountian town.

I am already in some pants that I could not wear 3 months ago!!!!!!!!!! yea for me!!!!

Hi! I am a newbie but I was wondering. Maybe this has been considered before, but could an area about clothes be added like the food category? Maybe a breakdown by size available for donation? That way anyone interested in donating clothes and those looking for smaller sizes can get together. Since I am new, I don't necessarily "know" many people and certainly don't know what size they are. I'm always so embarassed and self-conscious about my clothing size that I would never ask anyone their's! I'm just thinking that someone across the country could use what I don't need down the road.

I bring this up because I unfortunately might be a clothes horse. Or so my husband says about my 3 full walk-in closets! I love to mix and match things so I have a hard time parting with items. Also, I hate the idea of just donating items that still have tags! I do donate ALOT to the local shelters, etc but those are usually well worn items that still have wear left but not brand new. Oh well, just an idea. Any thoughts?

:) Laura, can I be your next new best friend? Just partly joking...

Thanks for the idea Zoe, I think I will get some bins and store them for a while. I don't really have a lot of clothes for my current size... I don't have any professional clothes the next size down, but I have plenty of jeans and casual things. *sigh* Pretty funny. I'm wondering if I'll have enuogh professional clothes to last my summer internship...

Okay, I never thought that would be an issue...

I've gotten rid of a LOT of clothes in the last 18 months, and after the first wave (which was nerve-wracking) l have fully enjoyed doing it. Just a couple of weeks ago I had to face up to the fact that I needed all new COATS. That's a big change, when a winter coat is so loose it stops being effective as warmth. :)

But I don't like just giving them to local generalized charities. (I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of that stuff is sold and someone is making a profit off of it.) Someone on another board told me about Freecycle, which is a localized network of e-mailing lists. People post what they've got to give away and people who need them respond. I gave three good winter coats and probably 30 sweaters away in the last round, to local people who needed and appreciated them.

Check it out on the Yahoo groups site if you're interested! There are Freecycle networks all over the country.

I am not banded yet, but my mom and sister had Gbypass and they have a great idea for their old clothes.... they go through once a year and collect all the large sizes. Then they advertise the "larger ladies garage sale". They come in drovessss! They take the money that they make from the clothing sale and donate it to a different children's charity. This year was the Missing and Exploited Childrens Foundation (my favorite charity). Last year they donated to the Humane Society. They don't raise A LOT of money but those that get it appreciate it, and those "larger ladies" appreciate all the brand name clothes like Lane Bryant that haven't been used very long and are a good sale deal!

Terrific question!

Well, I just had my girlfriend build me a new closet..She claims I have too many clothes.. the problem is, when she lost weight I started to use her old clothes, and as she bought new ones our wardrobe expanded quite a bit. You can NEVER have too many clothes.

If you really want incentive to give them away, send them to someone newly banded on the board when you grow out of em. Im sure that would brighten up someones day.

Hey what size clothes are you giving away. I am leaving 24's for 22's and currently have none, so if you any that you are gving away. I'll gladly pay for the postage to get them.

Hi Caramel -- I still have some 22s that are unaccounted for. I promised to give my remaining fancy-schmancy dresses and work suits to Dress for Success (an Oprah-recommended charity) next week, but that still leaves some casual clothes, including a pair of purple paisley pajamas! Send me a PM with your shipping address (I use UPS) and I'll send them to you. I've sent stuff to DeLarla and Kyleigh recently; my office hasn't asked me for reimbursement yet, so there may be no charge. And I'm only two inches taller than you, so most everything should be a decent length.

It's a new beginning! It's a new You. I have to tell you a funny story I' have kept a Leather jacket in my closet for ten year's and could not fit into it, but I

can fit in it now thank God.It's a Harely Davidson coat. all my fat cloth im going to give away with out as much as a thought or use them for rag's.

Off with the old on with the new!!

well take care most of all god bless! John