Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning as a low BMI bandster

I am banded! Had surgery yestersay @ 10am.

The worry was the worst part! So far, no site pain but HORRIBLE gas in shoulders. Jeez.

I know it is a small price to pay but lordy it hurts!

Congratulations BANDER!!!:) Keep walking and a heating pad will help the gas too! Feel better soon! -BG

Congrats and yes the HEATING PAD helped the most!

HI Everyone, I was banded on Tuesday, November 23,2010. I am in no pain except for getting in/out of the bed. My lower part of my stomach is sore. I have 2 incisions and 2 by my breast. I asked the dr. could he go in the belly button and he said sure. I had a good dr., dr. morales in st.louis. I prayed that I wouldn't have any pain. I don't have much of an appetitie either. I have been walking 10 minutes throughout the day. I have been taking my medicine and sleeping a lot. I'm glad that I made this decision. I want to lose weight slow so that it will stay off. Thanks Leigha and Band Groupie for all your support.

My parent's suggested it- my dad had it done in November.

I'm completely healthy, other than my weight and I have been overweight ever since I was young.

The reason I'm doing it is because I want to be happy and healthy for the rest of my life- I'm sure many people on this forum would have done it at my age if they could go back :biggrin:

I say why not go for it. My BMI was about the same as yours. I am much older but don't agree with the earlier poster that said no DR will do it at your age. Why wait until you are older and your body has deteriorated from carrying excess weight?

Good luck!

Hello all! I'm back 3 years later. To answer a few questions- it was probably all for vanity when I got it and why not? At 150lbs my confidence soared and I had a fantastic time at uni/college buoyed by my self confidence. Yes I was self pay. Yes it was totally worth it. Even having suffered a severe slip and subsequent illness I'm going back and getting another band in 3 weeks!

I was banded 2 weeks ago and I have to admit that while I want to be healthy and energetic for my children, it is mostly vanity that has driven me to this point. I have been on so many diets and failed everytime! I spent my teenage years being the heavy friend, and my weight just began to climb in my 20's. I am 37 now and don't want to spend the rest of my life looking at the scale and trying another diet, just to fail. It is hard on my self-esteem. I want to feel pretty and shop in normal stores and just feel proud of the way I look. Can't wait for all of that to become my reality!!!

Hiya! I just got banded on Aug. 2nd & so far so good. I'm a fairly low BMI person & I'm 30 years old. I had been thinking of some sort of surgery for about a year and finally just decided that I could afford to do it and it would be a decision to better my life. When I walked in the Doctor's office I was at 255 pounds. The day of surgery I was at 235 and I'm 6 feet tall (gives me a BMI of 33.6). I would like to weight 160 pounds within about a year. I don't have the hard core co-morbidities that others tend to get as they get bigger and I'm REALLY glad that I didn't wait until I did get them before I got my band. My body aches from carrying around 90 extra pounds and I want to feel awesome!

If you're low BMI & thinking of the band, I say go for it. The cost is fairly high, but you're investing in a future of health & well-being :)

karyn

Wish I could say I weight 142lbs. That would be great!

HI I am 43 years old and weigh 142 lbs. I have gained almost 20 lbs over the last 5 years. I used to weigh 151 when I was 32, but lost 26 lbs just exercising and eating normal. Nothing crazy but not over indulging. After I had my son, I have found it extremely difficult to get back to 120s. I am a runnner, vegetarian and indulge only sometimes. I am fed up with struggling to get my weight down. I just started weightwatchers and realize that I am eating beyond my allowance, but I seem to so tired all the time. As for working out for some reason the pounds dont seem to be coming off like it did 11 years ago:-(. I guess after 40 the efforts need to be doubled. I try hard but sometimes I feel that this cycle will never end !. Sorry for such a long post, but I was looking for some guidance regarding the lap band.