Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning as a low BMI bandster

Soulsista and Boston,

Let me know how yall are doing. I am curious because there isn't a lot of lower BMI people on here from what I can tell. My weight loss is REALLY slow and my Dr told me it would be that way. I guess I'm just a lil impatient.:thumbup:

WELCOME to the club!

Whats your calorie intake and amount of weekly exercise Onthego? I wasn't losing much on my preopdiet and now since surgery I'm losing a lb a day. However, we know as low BMIers etc.. we have to be patient and work at it as hard as someone who has more weight to lose. I'm 5'3 and I'm 199 today with a goal of 130. I've watched a lot of videos on youtube w/ other women who were in the same scenario as me and they did it in 7 months.. we'll see what happens =)!

Honestly I havent been keeping my food journal like I should but I am almost positive that I'm getting between 1200-1300 calories daily.

I walk at least 30 minutes a day. I REALLY want to be able to do aerobic activities but every time I do something that involves running, jumping, bouncing or dancing, my port is sore for a few days afterwards and it scares me. I sent my Dr's nurse an email about this earlier today and she hasn't responded yet. My port is not stitched on, it has these little metal teeth that clamp onto the muscle and I'm scared that I'm pulling it with the exercise.

I went for my first fill on Sept 27. My Dr made it a point to tell me that the average bandster loses 1-2 lbs a week and that my weight loss would be a slower due to my lower weight already. I'm anxiously awaiting my next fill in 6 weeks and hopefully then I will have restriction.

I started at 195 and ended at 132-135. It took me 10 months. I started out losing 1-2 pounds a week and then it slowed down when I had 15 left to go and I was only losing .5 pound a week, I had to burn off the last 15. I was eating 800 calories a day, running a 5K three times a week and I had to quit drinking wine completely.

I love seeing what everyone has to say on this low bmi board. I am getting my band 10/21 (was resched twice) and cant wait! I would love to follow you all and keep up with how you are doing. My bmi is 31..has been 32 before.

I love seeing what everyone has to say on this low bmi board. I am getting my band 10/21 (was resched twice) and cant wait! I would love to follow you all and keep up with how you are doing. My bmi is 31..has been 32 before.

Congratulations and welcome! I know how excited you are! Let us know how it goes for you.

So I went for my 2 week post op today and nutrition class.. Hoping tom I can start mushy foods! Well.. I have to do one more week of liquids because I was losing a lb a day after surgery and the last week I've lost 1 lb. And I've been active and walking but not getting my heart rate up bc when I tried that I was getting a lil light headed.. but the doc said still do it.. So tom I'll start really exercising and 1 more weeks of liquids and hopefully that will get me somewhere =)

hi everyone, i'm getting banded on nov. 23rd. my bmi is 35 and i'm 5'5'. i carry my weight well but i have a big stomach. i haven't had kids to cause this except for eating. i want the band for my health and vanity. i have hbp, high cholestral (sp), sleep apnea. I have gained so much weight over the years that people ask me if i'm still the same person. my dr. is very supportive of me getting the band but the nurses at the hospital tell me that i'm too small. i think they need to mind their own business and get the band too. i'm excited. i'm glad that i found this thread.

Diva- Sounds like you're the perfect candidate for the Band...I'm sure you'll do well with it (I had lots of nurses and several Drs. tell me that I didn't look heavy enough for a Band LOL...and these are HEALTH professionals who knew my comorbidities!)! Let me know if I can help with anything as you go along! -BG

Hi everyone--I am new to the forum and have some questions.

I am thinking about getting banded in the next few months, but am really just doing research for now. I am 22, 5'2 and approx. 206lbs, depending on the day. I have been dieting since I am 13, and my weight has been nothing but a yo yo. My mom and younger brother were both banded and have had great success.

What I really want to know - is for us with low(er) BMI, how is the post-surgery lapband diet any different then a regular, high-protein diet? In other words, can I achieve the same results without having surgery? :huh2:

Also, although my BMI is 38, I have no co-morbidity's. Other then being overweight, I am very healthy. No HPB, sleep apnea, etc... What are my chances of getting covered without having to gain an additional 15lbs (which I think is a ridiculous suggestion:thumbdown:!!)?

Any advice would be helpful! :cursing:

Hi everyone--I am new to the forum and have some questions.

I am thinking about getting banded in the next few months, but am really just doing research for now. I am 22, 5'2 and approx. 206lbs, depending on the day. I have been dieting since I am 13, and my weight has been nothing but a yo yo. My mom and younger brother were both banded and have had great success.

What I really want to know - is for us with low(er) BMI, how is the post-surgery LAP-BAND® diet any different then a regular, high-Protein diet? In other words, can I achieve the same results without having surgery? :mad:

Also, although my BMI is 38, I have no co-morbidity's. Other then being overweight, I am very healthy. No HPB, sleep apnea, etc... What are my chances of getting covered without having to gain an additional 15lbs (which I think is a ridiculous suggestion:thumbdown:!!)?

You might be able to do it without surgery but from what you've told us, you've been fighting this for almost 10 years! I could lose BUT it always came back. I also had no health problems other than a torn up knee from all the exercise I've done over the years. My BMI was 32 and my Dr's office flat out told me that there was no way my insurance would even think about paying for it.

I think I would have gained 15 lbs if that meant I wouldnt have had to pay $15,000! It's totally your decision. Since you have family that has been banded, you know the struggles you will have to go through. It is not a miracle nor a walk in the park. I do not have restriction yet and still feel like I'm dieting. I have my good days along with my bad days. I do not regret having surgery for one second! I'm down 22lbs and 3 sizes! :huh2: I do look forward to the day that i have restriction. In time, I'll get there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Only 2 more days till your journey begins! Good luck!!! Gonna keep you in my prayers! Let us know how it goes.

What I really want to know - is for us with low(er) BMI, how is the post-surgery LAP-BAND® diet any different then a regular, high-Protein diet? In other words, can I achieve the same results without having surgery? :huh2:

High Protein diet's worked well for me as well...I lost 50 and 40 lbs...gained it all back. The drinking rules and the amounts you can have are different than my high protein diet. Personally, I gave up dieting when I got the Band.

Call your insurance co. and ask for a copy of your Baritatric policy...most need at least one of the big comorbidities under 40 BMI, some need 2.

Diva- Sounds like you're the perfect candidate for the Band...I'm sure you'll do well with it (I had lots of nurses and several Drs. tell me that I didn't look heavy enough for a Band LOL...and these are HEALTH professionals who knew my comorbidities!)! Let me know if I can help with anything as you go along! -BG

thank you so much. i had to do a stress test today and the dr. and assistant asked me if I was sure I wanted to do this and I said yes. he was very funny. i told him that i would visit in 8 months to see my new look. as i was running on the treadmill he said this want you need instead of the stupid lapband. he was joking but he was serious.

Before lap band I had to eat at least 2000 calories a day to keep from being hungry all day. Now I am on maintenance and I eat 1200 calories a day to balance my weight between 132 and 135.

So, without lap band, I would need to exercise off an extra 800 calories a day (and that is 800 more than I do now). According to my Body Bugg, when I run for 3k (45 min) it burns about 300 calories so I would need to run an extra 2 hours every single day to maintain my current weight.

Doesn't sound very reasonable to me....