Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Aaron Hoffman - Lap Band done in Buffalo, NY (Dr. Hoffman)

I know what you mean..... I had my troubles too..... Were you offered the Sleeve? If so jump at this chance to to revised...... Insurance paid for my revistion I have Independent Health and only amount out of pocket was $250.00 for hospital stay...... I'm telling you this is the most troubless way to go and the weight is just melting off..... Even tho we had the band and we had our so called honey moon phase this jump starts the loss and all you need to do is measure your portions out and eat....... No more first bit stuck, fill, unfill... and you know the drill of what can happen with the band.... I loved my band for the first 18 months with over 100 lost but once I had my first probelm it was hell ever since.........

quote name='RAINWI' timestamp='1299787552' post='1584536']

Cynthia,

Glad to hear you doing great. Im jealous :wink3:. This band is so fickle and hard to manage. I cant seem to drop any weight!

Hi guys!

I had my 3 hr appt on March 1st. I've been on South Beach and exercising A LOT and I have dropped 8lbs in 9 days. Only 152 to go til I am at my goal lol. I go back on April 11th to meet with Dr. Posner and hopefully schedule surgery.

I am reading on here that a lot of you have switched from the band to the sleeve. The thought of having part of my stomach removed really frightens me but I really want to do what will help me reach my goal weight and stay there. Do you think that with a very active life style and strict diet I can loose that weight on the band? Or do you think that the best way to go is the sleeve? Can you tell me the kind of problems that are most common with the band? When I was one on one with the nurse and at the seminar, they made it seem as if the band had least complications. But is it effective? I just want the honest, unsugar coated answer!

Thanks ladies :)

I'll be honest with you, I won't sugar coat a thing..... Your what I call a big loser.... What I mean by that is you have over 150 lbs to lose. I'm a super loser with over 230 lbs to lose........ Now I loved my band at first but once I had good a fill with restriction I lost weight nice but not fast..... Then pop, wham had my first set of problems with the first bite attach is what I called it..... When I ate the first small bite of anything even chewed up and was a very small bite it would get stuck at the very top of my band...... The meal was over for me until it passed after hours.... I was hungry and could not eat a thing.... Went in for an unfill and that's when it all started... fill, unfill and so on until the weight started to come back on lsow but sure. We never could correct the problem........ I never got back to that perfect fill after 8 months of trying....

The sleeve does remove 85% of your stomach but I'm eating. I can eat just like a normal person with out over doing it anymore.... This was everything the band was suppose to do with out all the drama.... If I had the option back when the Band was placed I would have gone with the Sleeve the first time around...... Without blinking an eye...... I say that with all my heart.... I do not for a second regret doing the sleeve...I'm free of the food over load I lived with my whole life.......

Take a look on ObesityHelp.com and go into the vertical sleeve section and read some of the results and the revision stories..... You have the power to choose....... Don't be afraid to remove your large unneeded extra stomach........ We big losers have created such large tummies we need to eat so much to fill them to be happy......Now I'm happy eating my small portions and don't feel I'm missing out on anything. The sleeve gives you room to eat yet not to over eat like we did to stay obese...........

You ever want to talk I'll be more than happy to help in any way I can...... Cynthia

Support meeting this month Thurs. 3/17/11 in the doctors cafe. @ 6:30 I'll be there and so will others who can help......

Hi guys!

I had my 3 hr appt on March 1st. I've been on South Beach and exercising A LOT and I have dropped 8lbs in 9 days. Only 152 to go til I am at my goal lol. I go back on April 11th to meet with Dr. Posner and hopefully schedule surgery.

I am reading on here that a lot of you have switched from the band to the sleeve. The thought of having part of my stomach removed really frightens me but I really want to do what will help me reach my goal weight and stay there. Do you think that with a very active life style and strict diet I can loose that weight on the band? Or do you think that the best way to go is the sleeve? Can you tell me the kind of problems that are most common with the band? When I was one on one with the nurse and at the seminar, they made it seem as if the band had least complications. But is it effective? I just want the honest, unsugar coated answer!

Hi guys!

For some reason I started receiving posts yesterday after almost a year and half. I guess it was so I could reply. I have the band. I am a little jealous of seeing people who have the sleeve and the weight they lost and the stories of no problems. I think my band is a little too tight but I am keeping it that way so I dont over eat on the Snacks I still have a problem wanting. I always know the band is there. I don't like that. I spit up salivia if I eat too much. I hate it. Barb says its normal. I have spit cups all over the house. But I will not have the sleeve. Twenty years ago I had surgery and the staples became infected. I don't want to take that chance. Plus I am scared I will overeat and stretch the stomach that is there. Everything is a choice. And everyone is different. You have to make your own decision.

Someone mention insurance not covering the sleeve if you have a band unless its medically necessary. It is my understanding that the weight loss center will do their best to prove it is "medically necessary" in the majority of requests.

I havent gotten anything until today from the website, well i guess i needed it, I had the lapband last april so i am coming up on 1 year. I have lost

50 + lbs. I am fustrated, i know i dont get enough excersize. and i feel like i am defeated. I really dont get alot of support from my husband, and i really dont have anyone to talk to on a regular basis.

to be honest, i lost about 80 lbs with the band. i did develop a slip and did end up with the sleeve. i am happy with my sleeve but would have been happy getting another band. the sleeve is diff than the band. the band is by far the safest procedure.

How are you girls doing with the sleeve??? IS it worth it, any great success?

I could not be happier Rain, i love the sleeve, i feel normal again, and honestly, the feeling of being stuck was becoming the norm for me until i got the sleeve. I am full again *normal* full feeling, down in my stomach where it is suppose to be. If this procedure would have been avaiable then and i knew the difference, there is no doubt in my mind i would get the sleeve...

I have never heard of the staples gettting infected and i have read hundreds of blogs, so i have no idea where that came from.

Val, i think maybe the initial surgery of the band may be safer, but long term, i would say the sleeve is safer, because you can develope a leak with the band as long as it is in you, the sleeve is initial and once your healed your healed and dont have to worry anymore ever....

I anyone asked me today what they should do, i can without a doubt, say go for the sleeve if your ins. covers it.

down 25 lbs since november.

For some reason I started receiving posts yesterday after almost a year and half. I guess it was so I could reply. I have the band. I am a little jealous of seeing people who have the sleeve and the weight they lost and the stories of no problems. I think my band is a little too tight but I am keeping it that way so I dont over eat on the Snacks I still have a problem wanting. I always know the band is there. I don't like that. I spit up salivia if I eat too much. I hate it. Barb says its normal. I have spit cups all over the house. But I will not have the sleeve. Twenty years ago I had surgery and the staples became infected. I don't want to take that chance. Plus I am scared I will overeat and stretch the stomach that is there. Everything is a choice. And everyone is different. You have to make your own decision.

Someone mention insurance not covering the sleeve if you have a band unless its medically necessary. It is my understanding that the weight loss center will do their best to prove it is "medically necessary" in the majority of requests.

Hey Linda, long time since i seen you on here, just wanted to say that if you research the sleeve and the procedure itself, it is relatively safe, also they remove most of the stretchy part of your stomach and the fundus which is where grelin is secreted from, grehlin is a hormone that makes you hungry, so not only is your stomach smaller, the stretchiness is gone and the grehlin is gone, they are also finding out now that it is a metabolic procedure which help with wt loss and co morbitities like diabetes....Glad to see you back. :D

I could not be happier Rain, i love the sleeve, i feel normal again, and honestly, the feeling of being stuck was becoming the norm for me until i got the sleeve. I am full again *normal* full feeling, down in my stomach where it is suppose to be. If this procedure would have been avaiable then and i knew the difference, there is no doubt in my mind i would get the sleeve...

I have never heard of the staples gettting infected and i have read hundreds of blogs, so i have no idea where that came from.

Val, i think maybe the initial surgery of the band may be safer, but long term, i would say the sleeve is safer, because you can develope a leak with the band as long as it is in you, the sleeve is initial and once your healed your healed and dont have to worry anymore ever....

I anyone asked me today what they should do, i can without a doubt, say go for the sleeve if your ins. covers it.

down 25 lbs since november.

while i agree with what you said vicki the big complication of the sleeve developing a leak is a very big risk to take, while the chances of it developing is small it is still a risk none the less which was why when i was considering the sleeve i thought long and hard whether i would do it and i know i would prob of still opted for the band if i was initially considering surgery as i prob wouldnt of considered taking the risk at that time. now that all being said i am glad i did opt for the sleeve

while i agree with what you said vicki the big complication of the sleeve developing a leak is a very big risk to take, while the chances of it developing is small it is still a risk none the less which was why when i was considering the sleeve i thought long and hard whether i would do it and i know i would prob of still opted for the band if i was initially considering surgery as i prob wouldnt of considered taking the risk at that time. now that all being said i am glad i did opt for the sleeve

without a doubt, i agree with you, but what i am saying is initially post op you have to worry about a leak, but i don't think most people know that you can also develop a leak from the band, via a prolapse or erosion, so as long as you have the band the possibility exists, also, when my band prolapsed, it was no picnic, i was throwing up blood and was dehydrated when i could not even swallow my own saliva. so what im saying is after the initial few weeks post op from the sleeve there really isnt anymore worries, but with the band, there is always the possibility...My biggest fear too was the leak, which from what i understand is very low, about 2%, but i wouldn't want to be that 2%.

without a doubt, i agree with you, but what i am saying is initially post op you have to worry about a leak, but i don't think most people know that you can also develop a leak from the band, via a prolapse or erosion, so as long as you have the band the possibility exists, also, when my band prolapsed, it was no picnic, i was throwing up blood and was dehydrated when i could not even swallow my own saliva. so what im saying is after the initial few weeks post op from the sleeve there really isnt anymore worries, but with the band, there is always the possibility...My biggest fear too was the leak, which from what i understand is very low, about 2%, but i wouldn't want to be that 2%.

i think everyone has to make the decision as to what risks they are willing to take. unfortunately with surgery there are always risks. while i did develop a complication with the band i am not against the band. i lost a lot of weight with it and i know a few friends who have done very well with the band. and unfortunately right now the only way you can get the sleeve is if you have failed with the band.

BigGurlX it was nice meeting you at the Dr Hoffman's office I hope your sleeve recovery is going well. May be I will meet other forum members.

I havent gotten anything until today from the website, well i guess i needed it, I had the lapband last april so i am coming up on 1 year. I have lost

50 + lbs. I am fustrated, i know i dont get enough excersize. and i feel like i am defeated. I really dont get alot of support from my husband, and i really dont have anyone to talk to on a regular basis.

Hi, I had my lap band on 10/18/10 and I've only lost about 20 lbs since surgery. 50 lbs total. I feel I may have gotten my band to the right spot. I went this past Tuesday and had another 1cc put in so now i am 5cc in a 10cc band. They said I won't be getting any bigger fills after this. SInce the surgery I have not felt full or had any problems at all. I am getting very discourage because its not coming off. I really don't exercise because I have mobility problems and I know this is a big problem with me not loosing more. I have a pool and looking forward to summer workouts in the pool. Maybe we can email and give each other support. My e-mail is oecjcs@roadrunner.com if you want to connect. My name is Cel (short for Celestine) I will be 49 this year and need to lose alot of weight. Looking forward to hear from you.

BigGurlX it was nice meeting you at the Dr Hoffman's office I hope your sleeve recovery is going well. May be I will meet other forum members.

Hi Bugs, it was great meeting you too. This is my 2nd week post-op (sleeve) and i'm doing pretty good. Still suffering from heartburn which seems to be common complaint the first month out. It is getting better though. How is everything going with you? You should come to the Support Group meetings on the 3rd of everymonth. I'm usually there as I find I get a lot of support there. :-)