Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Turns out that I am crazy

I got called to my surgeons office this morning and as i watch him reading a document i see the words pysch eval and my stomach dropped! he the says the doctor who did my eval recommends six months of therapy before my surgery! why because i am delusional about my happiness because i am bi polar and i guess i have to be depressed or manic cant be even! I now have to get a note from my regular pysch doctor and start counseling with a women they referred which is fine and my surgeon said he wont deny my surgery but what about my insurance? The funny thing is the doctor who said i was delusional weighed about 375 and was eating mcdonalds while talking with me.........IRONIC?

I would ask for a copy of that document and then review it. Did the Dr. make a diagnosis? Are you bi-polar and are you delusional? Are you stable? Do you have a regular therapist that you see for these things? Maybe your regular therapist, if you have one, will followup with some responses to your surgeon.

I have seen many diagnositic reports that do not look similar in anyway. One person will diagnose one thing (or several) and another other things. Or nothing at all. I would want to see the basis of the diagnosis, what were the symptoms to base the diagnosis on and go from there. If there is a conflict in diagnosis, challenge it.

I am bi-polar I have I was diagnosed when I was five and have had my whole life to get it under control. I see a regular therapist and I have to go see him and get a letter saying I am fine. And I am happy life is great and having some doctor I have only met once say I am delusional was so upsetting! I paid him 200 even though I have insurance and as I was doing my written test he left for over an hour running errands???? I just really hope that my insurance doesn't deny me because of this idiot's diagnosis!! This six months has been so hard jumping through hoops and paying alot of money to do it! Send positive energy my way, I am ready to change my life, I hope insurance thinks so!

My psych eval said that I had a poor body image (um, yeah), and that I was domineering and prone to temper tantrums. I'm trying to be good, but I am tempted to throw myself down on the floor at the doctor's office, kick and scream that I want some pizza NOW. Just to make the psychologist feel good that she got it right...

At my psych eval, I did the MMPI and some other multi-question survey instrument. The psych had me come back for a second appt so we could go over the results.

I thought the results described me perfectly! The main thing it said is that I'm a caretaker, and put others needs before my own. (Well, yeah. I'm typing this while I'm sitting at my mother-in-law's house where I'm on Mamaw-sitting duty for the day. She has to have someone here 24, 7.)

I think this just goes to show that, yes, sometimes those assessment tools are great, and do the job that they were designed to do. Sometimes they don't assess perfectly. We just need to remember that they are tools, and there is a margin of error built into the instruments since there is no way they can be used for everyone.

In addition to the above, the results are skewed to a certain way of life that doesn't apply to everyone. It had several "do you believe in a higher power" type questions. Those questions showed an area of "concern" because I do not have a strong religious base. Well, yeah. I'm agnostic. Why that should be an area of concern is beyond me, since that really has nothing to do with anything.

Final thought: When I answered the questions, I just whizzed through and didn't take very long to think about every question, just answered based on my first instinct.

Great posts! LOL everyone... I'm Canadian and we're self-pay (meaning no psych eval required). They figure... "If you're crazy enough to pay $16,000, we're crazy enough to band you!"

Hey we're all a little crazy some days... do the eval on another day and you'd be sane...

I'm CRAZY today but yesterday I was CRAZY-CRAZY...

kids are good but my patience is NOT

Great posts! LOL everyone... I'm Canadian and we're self-pay (meaning no psych eval required). They figure... "If you're crazy enough to pay $16,000, we're crazy enough to band you!"

hahahaha:tt2:

Jeeze,

Well, I had to go back for a SECOND visit. How many had to do that???

lol.

How can they tell from one short interview anyway???

I'm afraid to see mine!

lol my psych eval went like this...

Paid 125

He asked me what type of diets I have tried

What diet meds I tried.

If I thiought the surgery was benifical to me.

And was I willing to be guided by my dr's.

Then he said I am approving you for surgery. lol

125 dollars and about 7 minutes...

lol my psych eval went like this...

Paid 125

He asked me what type of diets I have tried

What diet meds I tried.

If I thiought the surgery was benifical to me.

And was I willing to be guided by my dr's.

Then he said I am approving you for surgery. lol

125 dollars and about 7 minutes...

Mine was odd, she asked me the same above questions and then spent 1/2 hour talking about her weight issues. I was giving her advice by the end of the session! I think I even talked her into getting a lapband. :smile2:

I had mine in the UK, the shrink asked me if I hear voices????? Lol i was tempted to say yes its the donuts they speak to me............. I had my wisdoms out under gen ansthetic recently and the recommendation letter was in there of course I had to have a sneaky peek it said I have a personality disorder! Blooming Cheek!

KiKi XX

Mine was odd, she asked me the same above questions and then spent 1/2 hour talking about her weight issues. I was giving her advice by the end of the session! I think I even talked her into getting a Lap Band. :unsure:

lol

then she should pay you for your advise...

I am just glad I passed. lol:redface:

haha yup no psych eval here, just a $14,000 cash payment.

Mine was odd, she asked me the same above questions and then spent 1/2 hour talking about her weight issues. I was giving her advice by the end of the session! I think I even talked her into getting a Lap Band. :cool2:

Lol that is priceless. Wonder if she had to have a psych eval for hers. hehe

OH MAN I have loved reading these posts.. Just awesome ..I was laughing so hard .. My psch test was like 30 minutes long had a 20 page test and never heard if I am a certified loco or not.. OH and then said that will be 400.00 please.. but getting my band the end of the month and I paid it so I guess I am certifiably NUTS...

Say a big prayer for me I am so excited and scared to death too ..

You all are the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!