Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel something strange!

I got my Lap Band a little less than three weeks ago. Today-I feel like I pulled something or other-and I can feel something under my skin where my port incision is.:ermm Is it normal to have this feeling? Is it normal to have occasional pain? What sorts of things aren't normal in port healing-and things I should be looking out for?

I am kind of scared because I saw DeLarla's pics----and I don't want a tube popping out of me or anything.

Any information would be helpful and useful.

Joanie, I felt all kinds of little aches and pains while healing. It seemed like one would stop and a different one would pop up somewhere else. But they do go away.

My surgeon, and several others, stitch the port in place to a muscle. That can be uncomfortable until it heals.

Some signs of trouble would be redness around the incision area, fever, pain that intensifies, feeling of heat around the area. I'm sure others will have more specific answers.

Are you incisions healing well? Any sign of infection, pus, inflammation, foul smelling drainage, etc.?

Have you done anything that could have aggravated your port? Heavy lifting, etc.?

Hope you're soon feeling better.

Joanie... My port site bothered me for months... my surgeon told me it is stiched to the muscle which is bound to cause discomfort especially when that muscle is used. It used to burn like the dickens and spasm everytime I would sit up. It actually still bothers me on occaision but it's just a mild irritation. My port is very palpable... I can feel it very easily especially now that I have lost weight. You should be able to feel your port. :cool:

Joanie I had the exact same pains you are having..mine felt like a pinching from time to time, like I pulled something, when I called Dr. Ortiz and asked him aboutthis he told me it is all the healing phase from surgery. I even had aside ache like I ran too fast on my port side and he too said that was normal and will eventually go away and it has. Everynow and then I get pain in my port area but now it is from me being able to feel it so much more since I have lost 80 lbs. Dont worry you are not normal, if there is no redness or ooozing or swelling on the outside of your incision I'm sure you are just fine :cool:

I also had pain for a few months here and there. If it is constant and comes along with a fever in the area or redness I would call my doc. But if it is just some pain then Just take it easy and maybe use a heating pad when it gets bad.

Same pains here. Called my Dr. in a panic over the Thanksgiving Holiday. He called back and told me it was probably the stiches holding the port in place. I still get them on occaision. He said some people can get a hernia there but not to worry.

I think my port has a mind of its own. Out of the blue my port will pull or feel like it's falling out when I go to sit up after I've been lying down. Then the next day no problems at all.... go figure!

someone said:

It used to burn like the dickens and spasm everytime I would sit up.

me:

Thats exactly what mine is doing. I was quite worried until I read everyones advice and experiences.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nykee... mine bothered me so much that my surgeon prescribed Flexeril. I took that at night so that the muscle wouldn't spaz and wake me up all night long. It will go away... hang in there!

Hi..

Thats a muscle relaxer ..... I have valium, I am prescribed one a night, but I dont really take it unless I am extra stressed or worried and cant relax to fall aslleep. Maybe I should start taking one nightly just for this pain?

The thing is I take 30 mg of Morphine a day (time released) and Viccodan (about 4 a day) and you would THINK these pain meds would take care of the pain. (they are for my back pain, I cannot walk with out the pain meds)

They take care of my back and make it manageable.. but this pain in my gut seems to be unaffected by the meds...

BUT! I am not gonna worry, many have said they had pain..Its only day 14.

I weigh 374 now.. and well thats pretty heavy and my stomach is really weird shaped and bumpy in that area where the port is....and my tummy has all kinds of strain to it, especially with three herniated discs in my back... the way I have to rise and turn and sleep and drive and such, probably irritates it daily.

Some people say they can even feel the port and some pain months later.

I can handle that... I know what 100X worse pain is..

Its more of a worry than anything

LOVES