Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded 1/30 - why am I hungry?

I just posted in another thread but I'm looking for different reasons why I could still be so hungry?

I was banded 1/30 and still on clear/full liquids. I'm totally hungry! I do not understand how chicken broth is suppose to make me feel full.... or CIB LF Nosugaradded.... Doesn't that stuff just go right thru the band? Isn't only actual thick food that stays in the upper pouch giving me the feeling of fullness?

I was hoping the surgery was going to help me feel satisfied when I ate a small portion .... I feel the same as I did before.....:)

2oz of this or 4 oz of this is NOTHING... I need light a glass full of Water for it to make a difference.... I drink the 8oz of the CIB drink and still want more....

Thoughts?

I was banded on 1-29 !

whatnis cib?

I was banded on 1-31. I am still not hungry on 2-3. I was hungry before because of the steroid pills I was on. I stopped the prednisone so I could get the surgery. I will probably have to start back on the prednisone this week.

I was banded on 1/31 and I'm still not very hungry...but I think the pain is making me not hungry, not necessarily my stomach. I wondered the same thing about liquids passing through. Can we drink virtually as much as we like (water, juice, etc?) food smells good to me so I think that when the gas in my chest stops hurting, I will be hungry too.

I was banded on 1/24, and the first few days, my stomach growled and i felt hungry. I think my stomach shrunk, because after the first few days, this stopped... that or my shoulder hurt so bad, that was all i could focus on. Now my steri-strips itch so bad, that's all i can focus on! But enough about me! I did find that eating creamy liquid Soups helped. Central Market has some great, premade options like black bean (if the refrig section) or carrot ginger and butternut squash on the shelf. I am sure the extra Protein in these is what helps.

Good luck!!

I was banded 1/24 and was not hungry until day 5. I did have many times when I saw something on T.V. and thought, "That would be so good right now" but was not honestly hungry until day 5. It is still hard for me to be able to tell "head hunger" from true hunger. And honestly I haven't felt true hunger but a few times. Hang in there until you get to mushies.Try eating S.F. popsicles, they helped me because there was chewing involved. My dr. allowed me unlimited amounts of them, counting them as liquids. If you are really, honestly, stomach growling, hungry and you are doing well, call your dr or dietician and see if you can progress to mushies for maybe 1 meal and maybe that will help.Good luck, I understand your frustration and hope this passes soon.

i was banded on 1/23 and wasnt hungry for a few days but once i was out of the hospital and back at home i found myself very hungry...i was on broth also but also on Jello which is what the hospital was feeding me i found that jello helped ALOT the 3.5oz cup of jello really hit the spot...they say jello is considered to be a liquid even though its not actually in liquid form...however now that i am 11 days out i find myself being more hungry everyday i am able to eat pureed Soups and mashed potatoes so that helps alot but last night i felt that i was still very hungry after having my Soup so i decided to eat some pudding and boy i never should have because my stomach hurt pretty bad after that and i found everytime i tried to take a deep breath it also hurt! most people dont have restriction after being banded therefore you think your starving until you start getting fills....

I can't imagine 11 days out!!

ok well maybe i'm reading the signs of "fullness" wrong. When I'm just about done eating it's because I'm feeling chest/shoulder dulling pain ... Maybe thats the sign of fullness?

I just ate 4oz bended yogurt and 4oz Soup and I'm feeling a little pain in my upperback/shoulders/chest.....

Is that what others go thru?

Answer the question whats in CIB NSA (No sugar added):

Total Fat 5 g8%Saturated Fat 1.57%Trans Fat 0Cholesterol 10 mg2%Sodium 240 mg10%Potassium 540 mg15%Total Carbohydrate 16 g5%Dietary Fiber 2 g10%Sugars 12 gProtein 13 g26%

Taken from: powder Drink Mix and Ready-to-Drink Product Information at Carnation Instant Breakfast

ZetaJenn - I think the same as you ....

You haven't had a fill yet, right? Without a fill, once you've healed, the band isn't really "doing" anything in most cases. Once you get that first fill, you'll have some restriction.

The most important thing for not feeling hungry is PROTIEN. Make sure that your liquids include 60 grams a day. I used unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury mixed with the sugar free CIB (I used these for taste as I didn't like any of the protien supplements that I tried).

If you're just consuming Soups, broths, and CIB alone, I can see why you're starving.

I'm so glad y'all are talking about this! I hope to be banded soon and am worried about my body telling me when I'm full! One of my problems now is that my body doesn't tell me when I'm full. So I worry that after being banded that won't change. Was anyone else like this before being banded and if so what has been your experience after being banded?

I was banded on 1/31 and the first few days I wasnt hungry...but since yesterday I have been STARVING!!!!!! I drink....growling...drink some more and more growling...I was trying to go to sleep last night and couldnt bc my stomach was growling soo much...and it really hurts!!! I NEED something with more consistency....I can have full liquids...but I tell you this sux!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE newly banded people! Please read the thread about "how the band works" and How fills work" by Wendell! Do a search if you can;t find it.

The band MIGHT restrict you for a little bit after the surgery due to swelling. Once the swelling goes down the band might be giving you very little to no restriction, every one is different inside their stomach.

First, you heal, that's why the post op diet is liquids, mushies etc. Then you start getting fills. It could take several fills until you reach your first level of restriction. Once you reach your first level of restriction, you will lose more weight and need another fill. This process can continue for most people until you lose most of your weight and your band can remain stable.

Please read the post by Wendell. It is an excellent explanation and they one that helped me relax and understand the process I am going through.

P.S. After the first few weeks of healing, if you have not yet reached restriction, you most likely will be able to eat more than you want/should. Use your old dieting methods during this time or you could gain weight. I know we don't want to "diet" that's why we got the band. But until you get good band restriction this might be necessary. Also during this time practice the band rules of small bites, chewed well and no drinking for one hour after the meal. Getting these habits down now, could really help you later!

About 2 weeks after I was banded I started feeling really hungry. My dr. told me it was cause the band is lose due to me losing weight the fat around the stomach is going away. So.. I started my soft foods and mushies earlier than I should have. I continued to be hungry... However after my first fill.,.... hunger was not an issue!

I was also hungry a few days after surgery. Luckily, I was already on the mushy stage so that helped. As Shortgal said you will have little to no restriction until you begin getting fills. Some people are lucky and have more restriction after surgery but I was not one of them. I fought through and did lose weight during that time but it was not easy. After you get fills and restriction kicks in it will be very different. Just remember to follow doctor's orders or you could damage your band.