Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What ? To Ask The Doctor Help!!!!

Hello all ,

congratulations to you all for either making a decision or just even trying to do something about it! As for me i have made 3 appointments and cancelled them because im scared of the unknown!

You will be happy to know i have finally woke up to myself and have got an appointment on feb 18th which i have every intention of attending! For all you who are banded what should i ask the Doctor that you feel you should of asked but never did! and now know from getting the band?

Iam scared because I dont want to fail like all the other diets ive tried and and I know "its a tool", I know I have to work with it and i know its a life style change and I know i need to make the effort! but lets face it im not this big because I want to be!!! What has made this different from everything else you guys have tried?

My main motivation is Im 28 and will soon be 29 and then 30! and thats where I draw the line !!! Ive gone through childhood, my teens and my 20s and no no no !!! Its not gonna happen Well If I Can help it ...not my 30s!!

So thank you for your support over the last 6 months its been a decision in progress which i believe i have finally made!

So any suggestions on qusetions to ask the Doctor and the comparison to other things tried feel free!!!

CHEERS

Beena:rolleyes2:;):rolleyes2::eek::rolleyes2:

Beena, ok, take a deep breath, and relax. I know that this tops the list on major things in life to do. It is normal to be hesitant! Just take it one day at a time. My dr requires his patients to attend a informational seminar before they will even take a referral from my primary care Dr. You should see if your dr has a seminar you can attend. These are very informative, and you can ask alot of questions too! They go over the entire proceedure, and ususally have a couple of patients who have had it done there to speak as well. You will then go for your initial consult. Make a list of your questions. You should ask what is involved in the pre-op diet, and what tests you will need to have done, as well as the post op diet. These can be the most challenging part of the whole thing! Remember. This is a tool they are giving you. If you don't make a culinary lifestyle change, you might not be as sucessfull as you want to be.

A very important aspect of this is support! It's important to have a good support system in place at home, and at work, if you plan on sharing your journey with them too!

You have also come to the right place, here! There is an abundance of information from real-life banders! What better advice to get then from people that have been through it!

Browse through this site, and read some posts. I think you will feel better just knowing that you are not alone!

The best of luck to you and your journey! You are among friends here!

congrats on your decision to have the sugery..that is your first step...sounds like you have been back and forth on this, but looks like you are ready to move forward..you will be fine...you will be so glad when you make it to bandland...it is wonderful over here...please, come join in and get ready for a wonderful journey...

Beena, just remember, going to that appointment isn't agreeing to have the op. Going to the appointment is simply going to find out information. You can go to 100 appointments and never have the op. You can even be in the hospital about to go for the op and still back out!

No-one is going to force you to do something you don't want to. At this stage you are simply gathering information. You may get there and find this procedure isn't right for you anyway, but you won't know until you get there.

So what makes this work? Well I have yet to get it done, but from everything I've read, you simply can't eat the same way anymore. At least you can't eat as much. Going from being able to eat a burger, fries and icecream to being only able to eat 3 tablespoons of food is a huge difference.

The band won't lose the weight for you. As I say, it won't take your body out to exercise while you sleep. It will support your own efforts and stop the sliding back down the slippery dip after you've lost a certain amount. You still have to put in the effort but that effort is now supported by the band.

Will it work for you? Look at it this way. Your body is not unique. It works the same way every other human body works. As for storing fat, it works the same way everyone else's body with this problem works. You are not unique in this regard. The simple fact is, if you stick with the diet & exercise requirements you can't not lose weight. Simple.

It is a big step to take and you are very brave for even considering it. Well done you! At the end of the day only you can say if this is right for you, but the first step in finding out is just going to that appointment. Remember if you go, you will walk in and maybe 1 hour later walk out again. You won't have the operation! You won't have any holes in you and you won't have any tags saying you've been to see a weightloss surgeon! No-one will know. If you are serious about doing this, then go to that appointment, then rethink the process.