Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrink'n Violets TIP 'O THE DAY!!

Great thread. Lots of good tips. My goal is more sleep. I prowl at night and sometimes get 4-6 hours in. That is, if you don't count the nap I take in the recliner when I fall asleep in front of the TV:lol:.

I have a quote that hangs on the wall of my Curves, and if I remember it correctly it is "You cannot fail if you don't stop trying." My motto.

Shrinkin' Violets

Tuesday Tip O' The Day

"Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet

is fighting some kind of battle."

Short and simple---but something well worth keeping in mind.

Kat

Shrinkin' Violets

Wednesday Tip of the Day

Experience is not what happens to a man. It is what a man does with what happens to him.- Aldous Huxley, writer

Breaking the cycle of failure

One experience builds on another and that is how life evolves. We should not simply "live and learn" but rather "live, learn, and improve." We all make mistakes in life. Do you learn from yours or do you have a cycle of making the same ones over and over? Perhaps you want to lose weight but always seem to fail, never seem to finish your reports at work, or have a hard time following through on your obligations. Examine some past failures and review where you went off track with your goal. Don't mistake failing with "I am a failure," as no one is perfect all the time. Take what you have learned and apply it to the next situation.

HAPPY FRIDAY MY VIOLETS!!!! MAKE IT A GOOD ONE.

Now here's some fun thoughts for the day.

1. The best way to get even is to forget...

2. Feed your faith and your doubts will starve to death...

3. God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts...

4. Some folks wear their halos much too tight...

5. Some marriages are made in heaven, but they ALL have to be maintained on earth...

6. Unless you can create the WHOLE universe in 5 days, Then perhaps giving "advice" to God, isn't such a good idea!

7. Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, and faith looks up..

8. Standing in the middle of the road is dangerous; You will get knocked down by the traffic from both ways.

9. Words are windows to the heart.

10. A skeptic is a person who, when he sees the handwriting on the wall, claims it's a forgery.

11. It isn't difficult to make a mountain out of a molehill, just add a

little dirt.

12. A successful marriage isn't finding the right person - it's being the

right person.

13. The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground.

14. Too many people offer God prayers, with claw marks all over them.

15. The tongue must be heavy indeed, because so few people can hold it.

16. To forgive is to set the prisoner free, and then discover the prisoner

was you.

17. You have to wonder about humans, they think God is dead and Elvis is alive!

18. It's all right to sit on your pity pot every now and again. Just be sure to flush when you are done.

19. You'll notice that a turtle only makes progress when it sticks out its

neck...

20. If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, you can bet the Water bill is higher.

Disclaimer: Some of it is funny and some is religious. I know we're not all religious, so just take it for what you want.. there's 20 things there, pick the ones you like :tt2:

Thought I would give a recipe, looks good. I have made the recipe for Kashi Cereal muffins on the back of the box and those are very good.

Use applesauce for baking. You can still enjoy homemade baked goods even though you're watching your weight. Much of the fat in muffins, cakes and brownies comes from the vegetable oil. But there are clever ways to eliminate much of the fat. Cut the amount of oil called for in half and replace the other half with applesauce. By using applesauce, you'll add Fiber and ½ cup of applesauce accounts for 1 serving of fruit. Plus,

you'll save half the calories.

Applesauce oatmeal Muffins

spacer.gif

Ingredients

spacer.gif

1 cup old fashion rolled oats (not instant)

1 cup non-fat milk

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

2 egg whites

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. sugar

raisins or nuts (optional)

Nutritional Info

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

ubullet.gifFat: 0.5gubullet.gifCarbohydrates: 20.5gubullet.gifCalories:93.5ubullet.gifProtein: 2.9g

spacer.gif

Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.

Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.

In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.

Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired.

Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.

Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.

Remove from pan, cool and enjoy.

These can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick Breakfast.

Number of Servings: 12

Tip O' The WONDERFUL FRIDAY!!!!

Lives, like money, are spent. What are you buying with yours

To Feel Fuller, Fill Up on Protein

Nutrition News Flash

-- By Becky Hand, Licensed & Registered Dietitian

A new study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition tested 19 subjects on 3 different diets. Researchers measured appetite, caloric intake, body weight, and fat mass, as well as blood measurements for insulin, leptin (the hormone responsible for satiety) and ghrelin (the hunger hormone) during each of the phases.

• <LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">First, subjects followed a weight maintenance diet of 15% Protein, 35% fat, and 50% carbohydrate for 2 weeks.

• Next, the subjects ate the same number of calories (isocaloric), but with a different nutrient breakdown (30% protein, 20% fat, and 50% carbohydrate) for 2 weeks.

This diet resulted in markedly increased satiety, although leptin levels did not change.

• Finally, subjects followed an “ad libitum” diet (no caloric requirement or restriction), but were required to meet a specific nutrient breakdown of 30% protein, 20% fat, and 50% carbohydrate for 12 weeks.

In this phase, participants spontaneously ate 376-504 less calories per day, and decreased both body weight and body fat. However, leptin levels decreased and ghrelin levels increased.

The researchers conclude that increasing protein intake from 15% to 30% of calories, with a constant carbohydrate intake, may be beneficial to weight loss.

Action Sparked

This 30% protein, 50% carbohydrate diet fits into the healthy distribution range set by the food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine, and National Academy of Sciences. It appears to benefit those trying to lose weight and body fat. The trouble is that many sources of protein are also high in fat. For healthy protein sources, select low fat milk, cheese, yogurt, and dairy products. To enjoy lean meats, trim off excess fat and remove skin. Select cooking methods that limit fat such as grilling, baking or broiling.

"To me, there are three things we should all do every day. Number 1 is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number 2 is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number 3 is you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day."

---Jim Valvano, as his body was being ravaged by cancer

Sow a thought and reap a deed

Sow a deed and reap a habit

Sow a habit and reap a character

Sow a character and reap a destiny

--Anon

When you track your success, think like a scientist. Consider your strategies as experiments: "Oh, I thought if I tried doing it in the morning it would be easier to do. But I see I did it only twice this week. What if I shift to the end of the day? Let's see how I do next week." The more scientific you can remain, the less you will fall into the slough of perfectionism or despair that trap of so many would-be resolvers and habit changers.

--M.J. Ryan

The next time you get the munchies, tell yourself you can have whatever you want ---AFTER you drink four glasses of Water. By your third glass, you'll lose your sweet tooth.

---the Writing Diet by Julia Cameron

Doh I forgot mine Friday. I'll make this coming Friday a good one to make up for it!

Happy Thursday.

Start your meal with Soup. We're not talking about a broccoli-and-cheddar fat bomb, or even the creamy clam chowder. But studies show that when people start their meal with a broth-based Soup — think miso, minestrone or chicken noodle — they eat 100 fewer calories overall. That leaves you more wiggle room for dessert!

Follow the one-fat rule. I love this idea from SELF contributing editor Janis Jibrin, R.D.: Include only one fat in your order. That means you can have a burrito with cheese — but then you'll have to skip the guacamole and sour cream.

Order outside the entrées. Choose two small appetizers or an appetizer and a side salad instead of a main dish.

Any option should include lean Protein and plenty of veggies. Some ideas: a small cup of veggie chili and a side of broccoli; grilled shrimp skewers and a green salad.< /p>

Cognitive Therapy that is in a book by Judith Beck Ph.D. called the "The Beck Diet Solution"

1. on a index card write the reasons why you want to lose weight and be specific

2. carry the card with you and read it every morning and throughout the day.

3. put motivating phrases and sentences on index cards like, 'Being thinner is SO much more important to me than food' etc... Look at the card whenever a craving strikes.