Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrink'n Violets TIP 'O THE DAY!!

*******Get your moo juice. When women consumed low-fat dairy (such as skim milk, nonfat yogurt, and low-fat cheese) three to four times a day, they reduced their body fat by up to 70 percent, shows a study at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. "Calcium serves as a switch that tells your body to burn excess fat faster," explains study author Michael Zemel, Ph.D., director of the university's Nutrition Institute. And no, you won't get the same results if you drink calcium-fortified beverages such as orange juice: Research shows that you get the best results from dairy.*******

I found two things of value, one was a short quote and the other an article on our choices.

Will Rogers

Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.

* You have achieved success if you have lived well, laughed often and loved much.

Anonymous

* Success is a state of mind. If you want success, start thinking of yourself as a success.

Dr. Joyce Brothers

That first peak is the best place to pause and look back, to see if you took the easiest route, to learn the lessons from the first climb. And it is the best place to examine the terrain ahead, to change your plans and goals, to take a deep breath and begin climbing again.

- By Michael Johnson

7 Tips to Improve your Metabolism!

1. Get regular exercise

While it seems like a simple solution, most people still don’t get enough exercise on a regular basis, and then wonder why they’re not burning any calories. Regular activity such as walking, biking, swimming, and hiking will help to speed up your metabolism and keep it at an elevated level even after you are done exercising. It’s easy to incorporate mini-workouts into your daily routine by taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or taking a walk instead of using the car. Cleaning the house and doing yard work will also help to increase your metabolic rate.

2. Get adequate sleep

Researchers have discovered that a lack of sleep negatively affects the way our bodies metabolize carbohydrates. This results in glucose intolerance and can possibly lead to a slower metabolism with increased hunger. A lack of sleep also affects our levels of energy throughout the day and can cause us to forgo exercising because we’re too tired.

3. Eat regular meals

Skipping meals is perhaps one of the most detrimental things a dieter can do to their body. Contrary to popular belief, skipping meals doesn’t merely save calories, it actually decreases metabolism causing you to burn calories at a much slower rate than normal. The body goes into a “starvation” mode to try to protect itself and compensate for the lack of calories and nutrition. The body then tries to hold onto its existing fat supply and will actually burn lean muscle instead.

4. Eat enough Protein

Protein is essential for the body to build healthy, strong muscles. A good rule of thumb to follow is about one half gram of Protein per pound of body weight. Which means that a 180 pound man would need up to 90 grams of protein per day.

5. Get enough Calcium

Research has shown that three to four servings on a daily basis of low-fat dairy products can help the body to burn fat at a faster rate. Calcium, of course, is also essential for healthy bones.

6. Drink green tea

Drinking green tea appears to slightly raise metabolic rates, and also speed up the oxidation of unhealthy fats. Green tea has other health benefits as it contains a significant amount of antioxidants to protect the body from diseases such as cancer and heart ailments.

7. Limit or eliminate alcohol consumption

Scientific studies have shown that after drinking alcohol, the body burns fat at a slower rate than usual. It is believed that alcohol may actually play a role in suppressing the body’s natural ability to burn fat

When Looking for the best results for speeding up metabolism, I also read that spicy foods up your metabolism for HOURS after eating it. So keep that in mind too!

REAL Tip of the Day... because we all struggle w/this at some point or another...

Hungry Girl's Top 8 Guilt-Free chocolate Craving Busters:

1. chocolate Vita Tops & Vita Brownies (100 cals)

2. 100 Calorie Packs Oreo Thin Crisps

3. No-Sugar Added Fudgsicles (40 cals)4. Jell-o sugar-free Chocolate pudding Snacks (60 cals)

5. Swiss Miss Diet Hot Coco Packets (25 cals)

6. Chocolite Individual candies (30 cals)

7. Lightfull Chocolate Fudge smoothies (90 cals)

8. Quaker Chocolatey Drizzle Mini Delights (90 cals)

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and discover they were the big things! (now isn't that appropriate for bandsters????)

Take 5 minutes for yourself today and reflect on the following:

1. Falling in love

2. Laughing so hard your face hurts

3. A hot shower.

4 No lines at the supermarket

5. A special glance.

6. Getting mail.

7. Taking a drive on a pretty road.

8. Hearing your favorite song on the radio.

9. Lying in bed listening to the rain outside.

10. Hot towels fresh out of the dryer.

11. Chocolate milkshake (vanilla or strawberry ).

12 A bubble bath.

13 Giggling.

14. A good conversation.

15. The beach.

16. Finding a 20 dollar bill in your coat from last winter.

17. Laughing at yourself.

18. Looking into their eyes and knowing they Love you

19. Midnight phone calls that last for hours.

20. Running through sprinklers.

21. Laughing for absolutely no reason at all.

22. Having someone tell you that you're beautiful.

23. Laughing at an inside joke with FRIENDS

24. Accidentally overhearing someone say something nice about you.

25. Waking up and realizing you still have a few hours left to sleep.

26. Your first kiss (the very first).

27. Making new friends or spending time with old ones.

28. Playing with a new puppy.

29. Having someone play with your hair.

30. Sweet dreams.

31. hot chocolate.< /span>

32. Road trips with friends.

33. Swinging on swings.

34. Making eye contact with a cute stranger.

35. Making chocolate chip Cookies.

36. Having your friends send you homemade Cookies.< /span>

37. Holding hands with someone you care about.

38. Running into an old friend and realizing that some things (good or bad) never change.

39. Watching the expression on someone's face as they open a much desired present from you.

40. Watching the sunrise.

41. Getting out of bed every morning and being grateful for another beautiful day.

42. Knowing that somebody misses you

43. Getting a hug from someone you care about deeply.

44.Knowing you've done the right thing, no matter what other people think

***TIP OF THE DAY***

Combatting the Feeling Fat Days

We all have them...

Red Does Wonders

Have you ever noticed that certain colors make you feel a certain way? Green, for instance, can calm you down. Yellow can lift your spirits and bring a shot of joy into your heart. And red can work magic because it is the color of courage, strength, and power. And believe me, when you are having one of those fat days, a little courage helps a lot.

Only yesterday I was feeling grumpy, pudgy, and tired. I took off the beige shirt I was wearing and slipped on a red blouse instead. Just looking at it made me feel more alive. It wasn't an instant cure, but it did remind me that strength and power are qualities I already possess, qualities so near that I wear them literally on my sleeve.

My mother says red is a happy color. Red also evokes bravery and the ability to separate from what's keeping you stuck, which is important to do on a feeling-fat day. The truth is, feeling fat has less to do with last night's bread pudding than it does with your old beliefs about the connection between fat and self-worth, and between the size of your body and what you feel you are allowed to do or say or be.

Wearing red supports the idea that your past does not rule your life. It is a message to your psyche that says, "Though I ate bread pudding last night, and my stomach is awash with ripples today, I am still allowed to be strong and powerful. I am still allowed to be loved and love myself. So pipe down."

If you've avoided everything red because you are convinced that wearing this color makes you look terminally ill, the word on the street is that with the proper shade of red, anyone's skin will glow. Consider magenta, burgundy, fuchsia, or ruby. Or try shades that sound like romance novels: cherries in the snow, forever berry, or russet moon. But if you are steadfast in your anti-red stance, or if you need to wear sober uniforms to work, remember that you can adorn your toes, nails, and lips with red. As those who have spent years in retail therapy know, the operative word is accessorize, accessorize, accessorize.

by Geneen Roth --Prevention Magazine.

I tend to stay up too late at night, I found this kind of interesting.

Plus I liked the quote, it seems appropriate, because we have all climbed our first mountain, and are kind of struggling with the next ones!!

Jane

That first peak is the best place to pause and look back, to see if you took the easiest route, to learn the lessons from the first climb. And it is the best place to examine the terrain ahead, to change your plans and goals, to take a deep breath and begin climbing again.

- By Michael Johnson

The Saboteur Late-Night TV

Not getting enough deep sleep inhibits production of growth hormones, which could lead to premature symptoms of middle age, such as abdominal obesity, reduced muscle mass and strength, and diminished exercise capacity. In short: You become your grandmother overnight.

Fix your head Don't plot a staffing reorganization before bed. Establish a ritual that signals your body that the day is over 30 minutes before you're ready to hit the sack turn off the computer, read, stretch, or set the TV volume low, Karas says.

Fix your routine Exercise in the morning or afternoon, says Eric Nofzinger, M.D., an expert in sleep disorders at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Evening workouts may leave you too stimulated to sleep, so instead, develop a clear end-of-day habit. Snuggle with your guy while he's watching the NBA game. Put your head on his shoulder, and then let Shaq and the boys put you to sleep in seconds. Trust us.

Quotes for the day.

Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.

- John Heywood, sixteenth-century English poet

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most...We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

- Marianne Williamson, American author and lecturer

Ever find yourself thinking one thing and doing something altogether contradictory? Like "I should work on my project" and then turn the TV on? We're all a mass of contradictions, particularly when it comes to the things we think we "should" do. It's because we really have two brains. One is our emotional brain, which we share will all mammals. It only understands "pleasant" or "painful," and "safe" or "danger," the patterns for which were created when we were very young. The other is our thinking brain, where we decide that we want to do something different. But depending on what it is, how it's presented, and what we've done in the past, our emotional brain may not cooperate. That's why we so often "sabotage" ourselves—our emotional brain overrides what our thinking brain has decided in favor of immediate pleasure or perceived safety. That's why, to truly change, you've got to get your emotions on your side. We change not because it makes sense (I should go to the gym to be healthy), but by engaging our feelings (It's going to feel fabulous to be thinner.) If the change seems too scary, too hard, or no fun, your emotional brain is going to work against it.So how can you make this more fun? Engage your wanting self more? That's a key to success.

-- MJ Ryan (Author of "This Year I Will...")

10 Things You Can Do To Lose Fat Without Even Trying

1. Eat smaller more frequent meals - not only is your metabolism boosted every time you eat something, your body can more efficiently process smaller meals. Instead of having 3 large meals in a day, try to break them up into 5 or 6 smaller meals...

2. Drink more Water - regular Water intake helps to flush away waste products in the body. Get at least six to eight 8 oz. glasses per day. An easy way to do this is to keep a water bottle handy and drink from it frequently.

3. Be inefficient - do you need to go to the kitchen to get a couple of things? Break it up into to two trips even if you can do it in one. Being inefficient like this can easily double your activity level, burning calories without even trying.

4. Eat more Protein - sources of Protein include foods such as chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, Beans, lean red meats, etc. Your body burns more calories processing protein than either carbohydrates or fats. Protein also helps to support your muscle tissue, which burns calories all day long!

5. Take the stairs instead of the elevator - any time you can add in a little more physical activity, do it. This doesn?t mean you need to slog up 20 flights of stairs. Even a flight or two done regularly will add up.

6. Don?t let yourself get hungry - when you get hungry you will have a much greater tendency to overeat when you do finally get something to eat. As well, because your body is starting to go into starvation mode, it will be much more likely to hold onto whatever you give it.

7. Order small portions at restaurants - it?s tough to order small french fries when "supersizing" your order is such a great "value." Take note, however, your real savings will occur in the calories that don?t end up on your backside.

8. Eat more Fiber - Fiber is very filling. By eating more fiber you will find yourself full sooner. This feeling of fullness will last a long time as well.

9. Wait 20 minutes between servings - your brain takes at least 20 minutes to register that you?re full. By waiting that long, you?ll give your brain a chance to realize that you don?t really need any more food.

10. Cheat on your diet - one thing I always make my clients promise is that they will cheat on their diet. The only thing I ask that they do is to cheat ONLY when they have planned to cheat. By planning when you are going to eat the foods you crave, you take back control of your eating habits.

This way you no longer "give in" to your cravings. You "reward yourself" for sticking to proper nutritional habits. Do this once or twice a week and you will feel far more in control of your eating.

In conclusion, if you follow even a few of these 10 easy tips in the long term, you will certainly notice a difference in your overall weight and health.

On Companionship:

Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.

On Ability:

We can do anything we want if we stick to it long enough.

On Self Confidence:

What I am looking for is not out there; it is in me.

On Ability:

When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.

I'll be happy when...

We convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another. Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough and we'll be more content when they are. After that, we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage. We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, when we are able to go on a nice vacation or when we retire.

The truth is there's no better time to be happy than right now. If not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges.

It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway. Happiness is the way.

So, treasure every moment that you have and treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time with..... and remember that time waits for no one.

So, stop waiting

Until your car or home is paid off.

Until you get a new car or home.

Until your kids leave the house.

Until you go back to school.

Until you finish school.

Until you lose 10 lbs.

Until you gain 10 lbs.

Until you get married.

Until you get a divorce

Until you have kids.

Until you retire.

Until summer..

Until spring.

Until winter.

Until fall.

Until you die.

There is no better time than right now to be happy. Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So work like you don't need money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one's watching,

If you want to brighten someone's day, pass this on to someone special.

I just did!

I am going to be happy today---want to join me?

Tip o' the day...

Are you living?

Is there a dance in your life?

Are you moving, growing, risking, taking the challenges of dangerous paths?

In the acceptance of the danger,

in the acceptance that anything can happen any moment,

life comes to its best, to its fullest.

Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

#1DONT EAT SAUCE AFTER IT HAS BEEN IN THE CROCK POT AND TURNED OFF FOR 6 HOURS!

#2: THERE IS NO Protein IN pretzels.

HOT chocolate

A group of graduates, well established in their careers, were

talking at a reunion and decided to go visit their old university

professor, now retired. During their visit, the conversation turned

to complaints about stress in their work and lives. Offering his guests

hot chocolate, the professor went into the kitchen and returned with a

large pot of hot chocolate and an assortment of cups - porcelain,

glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite - telling them to help themselves to the hot chocolate.

When they all had a cup of hot chocolate in hand, the professor

said: "Notice that all the nice looking, expensive cups were taken,

leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is normal for you to

want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems

and stress. The cup that you're drinking from adds nothing to the

quality of the hot chocolate. In most cases it is just more expensive

and in some cases even hides what we drink. What all of you really

wanted was hot chocolate, not the cup; but you consciously went for

the best cups... And then you began eyeing each others cups.

Now consider this: Life is the hot chocolate; your job, money

and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and

contain life. The cup you have does not define, nor change the quality

of life you have. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail

to enjoy the hot chocolate God has provided us. God makes the hot

chocolate, man chooses the cups. The happiest people don't have the

bestof everything. They just make the best of everything that they have.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. And enjoy

your hot chocolate.

Take a tip from high performance athletes. Look at how far you've come, not how much you have left to do. Scientists call this the horizon effect. It creates encouragement—"I've done twice as much as a week ago!" and builds determination—"I've made it this far; I might as well keep going." Focus on the ten pounds you did lose; the closet you managed to clean; the $1,000 debt you've wiped out; the evening you carved out for yourself. Don't forget to ask yourself how you've accomplished the task so far, so you can mine your success for ideas on how to keep going. --M.J.Ryan (Author of 'This Year I Will...')

When we think about changing something in ourselves, it can feel overwhelming. But in truth, our entire lives are constructed of the minute-by-minute choices we're making, many of which we're not even aware of. If you're having trouble sticking to your resolution, for a day, try this practice: when you're doing the bad old thing, stop and say, "I'm choosing to: eat this Twinkie, not work out, stay at the office to finish this project, blow up, look at my email rather than clean my desk, etc. Do you like yourself when you make this choice? You can choose differently, moment to moment. The next day, make the positive choice visible to yourself: I'm choosing to throw this catalog away rather than go on a spending spree; I'm choosing to take a few calming breaths before speaking; I'm choosing to get my taxes done today rather than wait till April 14th. The more you focus on the positive choice you can make this very day, without worrying about forever, the more you will live yourself into the new habit.

--M.J. Ryan

Tips to Feel Satisfied With Less food

Did you know that simply changing the way you eat could help you to feel more satisfied after eating?

Notice I used the word satisfied, not full. There's a big difference. Full means, "I'm really stuffed." Satisfied is simply, "I'm no longer hungry."

Satisfaction is actually a learned feeling. Many of us in fact feel satisfied after eating only half of a meal, but we don't recognize that feeling because, instead of pausing, we go on and eat to fullness. I am still part of the clean-plate generation — that's just how we were brought up.

But now we need to change our thinking and learn to recognize what it feels like to be satisfied during a meal. If you stop when you are satisfied, you will eat less food.

Try some of these tips to help you feel more satisfied at meals:

• Use smaller plates and bowls. This trick actually fools your mind into thinking that you're getting more food. When you see a plate (no matter what size) brimming with food, you're already thinking, I am going to be satisfied after this meal! Smaller plates mean that your portion sizes will be smaller and you'll eat less food.
  • Eat your meal slowly. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to get the message that you have eaten enough and to then communicate that feeling of satisfaction (or fullness!) to your stomach. Put your fork or spoon down between bites of food, talk with others at the table, chew your food thoroughly, and drink liquids during meals to slow your rate of eating.
  • Drink plenty of non-calorie beverages each day. Interestingly, the feeling of thirst can sometimes impersonate that of hunger, so make sure you are drinking enough fluids every day.
  • Change your eating schedule, or create one that works. Skipping or delaying meals can result in overeating. If you skip meals often, try to eat on more of a schedule. You will then feel more satisfied with what you do eat.

Enjoy your food. Take the time at meals to simply enjoy what you are eating. Taking pleasure in what you eat will help you feel more satisfied.

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though they know you are slightly cracked.

Friends always give their best to you even when that's hard to do

Good friends are fellow travelers on the road of life

TIP 'O THE DAY FOR SUNDAY 2/3/2008

Things to consider for 2008

1. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.

2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. Buy a lock if you have to.

3. Try to get enough sleep.

4. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement, 'My purpose is to____ today.'

5. Live with the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.

6. Watch more movies, play more games and read more books than you did in 2007.

7. Make time to practice meditation, yoga, tai chi, and prayer. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives.

8. Spend more time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6.

9. Dream more while you are awake.

10. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.

11. Drink green tea and plenty of Water. Eat blueberries, wild Alaskan salmon, broccoli, almonds & walnuts.

12. Try to make at least three people smile each day.

13. Clear the clutter from your house, your car, your desk and let new and flowing energy into your life.

14. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.

15. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.

16. Eat Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card.

17. Smile and laugh more.

18. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

20. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

21. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.

22. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.

23. Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

24. Burn the candles, use the nice china, and don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.

25. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.

26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five years, will this matter?'

27. Forgive everyone for everything.

28. What other people think of you is none of your business.

29. Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.

30. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

31. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.

32. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.

33. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.

34. The best is yet to come.

35. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

36. Do the right thing!

37. Call your family often. Keep in touch with them.

38. Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements: 'I am thankful for ___.' Today I accomplished ____.

39. Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.

40. Enjoy the ride. Remember that this is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fast pass.

You only have one ride through life so make the most of it and enjoy the ride.

"Anything you know you forget. It's all about getting confused and getting unconfused." That's a piece of wisdom from Buddhist teacher Sylvia Boorstein to remind us that we're only human. Are you treating yourself kindly today? You may mess up or forget. When you do, your task is to hold yourself in love, not shame. You and I are human beings dealing with the challenges of growth. When you treat yourself with kindness, you can try again with greater wisdom for having faltered.

--M.J. Ryan