Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Eating You? bad habits are made to be broken

By Sally Wadyka

You walk by your colleague's desk and there's that candy bowl, singing its siren song, You know better, but you just can't resist. Little detours like these can derail the best eating intentions, and the disparity between what Americans want to do and what we actually do is enormous: While 85% percent say that diet and nutrition are important to them, a 2002 report reveals that only 11 percent get the recommended daily allowance of fruits and vegetables (sorry Gummy bears don't count.) So whether you're an all-day nibbler or a Breakfast skipper, try these expert strategies to transform the way you eat.

"My greatest delight is to take a good bite" - Dylan Thomas, "the Song of the Mischievous Dog"

How to eat healthier if…

You’re a serious snacker

The fallout: You may end up overeating. A healthy snack or two between meals is fine. They can keep blood sugar steady as well as allow you to rack up more servings of fruits and vegetables. “It’s when you snack in place of eating meals that you’re more likely to lose track of how much you’re eating.” Says Tara Gidus, R.D., an Orlando, Florida – based spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. Of course, what you eat matters, too. Typical snack foods (chips, Cookies, pretzels) aren’t that nutritious or satisfying, so it’s easy to overdo them.

The Fix: To keep your energy up and hunger at bay, allow yourself two Snacks a day of 100 to 300 calories each. “Rather than a cookie or a candy bar, opt for something that feels like real food—half of a small sandwich, whole-grain crackers with cheese, a handful of nuts, baby carrots with hummus, or yogurt sprinkled with Cereal, ” says Gidus.

You’re a speed-eater

The Fallout: Gulping fod may set you up for stomach troubles (PR: or a spasm of PBing) “you take in excess air, which can lead to bloating.” Says Leslie Bonci, R.D., director of sports nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh medical Center. You also might not be chewing well. Saliva begins to break food down, and too little time in the mouth leaves more work for the rest of the digestive track. This may contribute to indigestion, says Ellie Krieger, R.D. host of the Food Network’s healthy Appetite. Finally, speed eating doesn’t give the brain time to catch up to the stomach; it needs atleast 20 minutes to get the message that your stomach is full. A recent study found that women who ate a meal in 30 minutes ate 10% fewer calories compared with those who wolfed one down in barely 10.

The Fix: Try to slow down. Avoid finger foods, and instead choose items you have to put on a plate and eat with utensils, such as stir fries and salads. Pause often, and drink Water throughout meals.( PR: in the case of our fellow bandsters do not drink 30 minutes before or after your meal)

You eat your way out of a bad mood

The Fallout: It may be soothing in the moment, but feeding your fears and frustrations, instead of confronting them, can lead to a cycle of more bad moods as well as steady weight gain. Many people turn to carbohydrates, in particular, which produce tryptophan, a type of amino acid that is used by the brain to manufacture serotonin. When the brain makes more serotonin, your mood improves, but only temporarily, says Judith Wurtman, Ph.D., a coauthor of The Serotonin Power Diet (Rodale Books).

The Fix: Stop to think about what’s bothering you before reflectively opening the cupboard. Then try a nonfood mood booster, such as taking a walk, seeing a movie, or calling a friend. If nothing but carbs will do, get the serotonin boost without triggering a binge, says Gidus. Opt for a whole-grain treat so atleast you get more Fiber and less sugar.

Healthy rehabilitation ideas:

“We started stocking some of the jars in our office with organic fruit instead of candy. So now I grab a plum, an orange…”

“Every Sunday night I boil eggs. I eat one every day for breakfast during the week. I can eat it on the go, and it’s a good way to get some protein…”

“Whenever I have party leftovers, I send them home with the guests so I can’t binge..”