Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those with BMI 35-40?

This so sound familiar to me also. My hubby thinks I am nuts, my best friend dose too (she is heavier then I) and my BMI is 37 @ 5'3"! Hell I can see the fat hanging off my elbows! Not to mention the health problem I have. Yep I heat this also and I try to ignore them. The women who was 110 lbs is a joke! I have not weighted that since I was 14! OMG..LOL...I like the come back..."just how much more do I need to gain".. great comment. Have to remember that. Chell

Hi, I'm new to the board and have a BMI of just over 35. I have my 1st appointment on 1/30 and am extremely nervous. What has been everyone's experience w/a BMI this low and getting approved for this surgery? I'm so afraid that they (the doctor/insurance) will not approve it because they don't think I weigh enough.

thanks!

I began this journey at 252 lbs. I am also 5'7". I have only had one person tell me to my face that I didn't look heavy enough for surgery and that was a post op bandster! A coworker said "You are doing this for health reasons, right?" At 63, I really don't plan to turn into a red hot mama, but who knows? Because I am tall, my BMI was about 38, but my insurance criteria was as follows: BMI 40 and 100 lbs overweight, or a BMI between 35 and 39 with one or more comorbidities (chronic conditions affected by excess weight) such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, acid reflux, arthritis and a few more I can't think of. Of the ones I listed, I have everything but diabetes. I have elevated liver enzymes on my cholesterol bloodwork, and my PCP is concerned. The bariatric surgeon said that could indicate fatty liver disease rather than a reaction to cholesterol medication and that could lead to non-alcoholic cirrhosis (great--something else to worry about!). I even saw an article about a study of people with BMIs lower than 35 having weight loss surgery, though I doubt insurance is covering that. Your BMI alone won't determine your eligibility, but I would suggest checking with your insurance company and see if they can send you a copy of the section covering weight loss surgery in their manual so you will know up front if you qualify. My plan is through my work, but I asked and they sent it to me.

Thank you for the info. I should find out next week if the insurance will cover it due to my other medical problems. Keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck to you also!

I too have only told my hubby and got a luke warm reaction. He thinks its a mistake. I kind of understand his point, its a serious decision. Which is why I am on the broads researching. I want to be sure. I dislike the gastric by pass, its seems to drastic for me. I like the idea LBS reversible if need be and is FDA approved. I told my best friend she thinks I am crazy also. But I want a better state of health and am tired of fighting it all my life. I want a better sex life, wink wink...not U would think that alone would make the men rethink things...I am not expecting much support in this from my family or anyone.

I completely understand. My BMI is 37.5 and EVERYONE around me has said the same thing. My other half finally has gotten to the point he understands what a struggle things are and is completely supportive - but for outsiders, it isn't so easy to understand - especially if they do not have a weight problem and the weight related issues that go along with it :biggrin:

Hang in there, you are not alone here and I think it is a NORMAL reaction for people to say that.

Sara in WA

My BMI was 38. I weighed "only" 218. Many people later said they didn't think I was "that big" in the first place. Well, no one has to live inside this sack of skin but me, so I don't really give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks.

I think you have to do what is best for you. I started with a BMI at 37-38 with no health problems other than I have had some serious orthopedic issues in the past. A lot of the repsonses I received were that I don't have serious health problems and I'm not that heavy, so why would I want to do something so extreme. Being able to walk without pain is not extreme in my mind. Only my husband and parents know. They are supportive and that's all that matter.

Good luck!!!

I was banded on the 22 of this month. My first nurse back to the room preop says you dont look big enough for this surgery. The next day another staff member said it. The next day I went to xray and the tech says to me we were talking and you dont look big enough to have this done. Finally instaed of ignoring it, I blurt out my weight and say I am 100 lbs over weight. No one said anything else. I wanted to say whats it of your business.

Please let your doctor know of the lack of support from hospital staff. After surgery, you don't need judgement. You need pain meds, someone to walk with you, and an extra pillow! I was banded on the 21st and feel great, but I have lots of support. I really didn't hide this from anyone except my eight year old and my middle school students. I am viewing this as my tool to a healthy weight. You will not lose weight with the band if that's what people think. You lose weight based on how you use this aid. Good luck.

:biggrin:Wow, how happy am I to have discovered this forum???? What I'm reading, I have or am experiencing! I am 46 with a bmi of around 35, I am 5'1" and fat all my life. I told only my husband and kids about the surgery! I just didn't and don't want any of the hassle and explainations that come with people knowing and not understanding! I flew a few thousand miles to Tijuana Mexico on a thurs, had surgery on a friday and flew back on the sunday morning. I had about 4 plane changes as well as a cancelled flight and subsequent overnighter in Calgary to finally make it home 1 day late. I would not recomend this!It's very difficult getting comfortable with all the pain from surgery and gas etc...on a plane.Since getting home I am slowly healing and I think am doing well, I just don't have anyone here to talk to about my experiences.One of the tough things has been lying to all the people who ask me where I went, or even those that I met on the plane!

I am happy with my decision and hope that I can finally have some control over my eating.I look forward to reading more!

I know, this forum's great! Especially if you dont know anyone who has gone throught this. No one else seems to really understand.

Your trip sounds like it was pretty hard. Did you go alone? I think most of us are not letting everyone around us know about surgery for various reasons. I read a good post from someone who told her kids and others that she was having her gall bladder out. That sounds like a good one...its very close in proximity and a little "less" of a lie??! I haven't had surgery yet, but I have trouble lying too. Not sure how I'll deal with that.

I have learned so much from this forum and its a great place to vent.

Good luck in your recovery!

Yes, I did do this alone, maybe not recommended but I did survive! I really am happy with not having to rationalize or legitimize my decision (does that make sense?)My 3 sisters are very understanding but have never had an issue with weight and I don't think that they get the overweight thing, so, although I am very close to them, I will not tell them. I guess I'll just have to come up with creative things to tell them when they see me not eat like before.How about you, where were you banded? when? and how are you doing?

Well mica,

I am not banded yet. I've done all my pre-op testing and appts except for my psych appt which is next friday. Then my surgeon's office sends it all to BCBS for approval. I saw my surgeon a few days ago and my weight & BMI went down!!! It was at 35.6 or something! Seems so weird trying to keep my weigh "up" for the paperwork! I am tall - 5'8" -so I "carry it well" as they say. I do have sleep apnea, depression (medicated now), slightly high blood sugar and joint pain. The Bariatric Coordinator said approval looked promising for me. I live and am having it done in Northern Michigan. My DH is very supportive and I have one friend who knows and is uneasy about the whole thing. I have 3 kids..5,7, and 9 yrs and haven't told them anything. No use in telling anyone else until I know I'm approved, but I'm not sure I WILL tell anyone else. My 7 and 9 yr olds are girls, and I don't want to 'damage' them with my food issues, so I'm not sure. I'm going to ask the shrink what he thinks about it all.

Good for you. I am so glad you know this and are thinking about the kids also. So many folks don't do this. I am not banded yet either. Good luck!

I have a BMI of 39 and I hope to get approved by my insurance. I am 5'3" and 221. I do have high blood pressure, diabetes, knee problems. I hope that is enough. It is enough for me to want to get a band. I have told no one but my husband who is very supportive. He's looking forward to me fixing our meals in a whole new healthier way so he can lose weight too. I also told both of my brothers. One is supportive and one is not. You've heard it all. Just quit eating so much and things like that. It's sad that so many people don't understand what it is like to be overweight. I wish I could say I didn't know how it feels to be really overweight. I found a lot of people here who feel the same way. I believe I am going to just do it for myself and to heck with the rest of the non believers. I get so much inspiration from this forum. I hope it doesn't take too long to get through all the hoops. Good luck to all of you pre banders and post banders.

Sounds like you have enough comorbidities. My insurance only wants 2 (BC) My DH is supportive, but never had a weight problem. So I'm not always comfortable talking about it with him. I guess having LBS will get me over that too!