Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 07 Bandiversaries!!!

Well, people, we're coming up very quickly on our Bandiversaries. So, who wants to share with everyone what this past year has been like for you?

I'll do mine later this evening...

My journey started at 285 lbs with a 10 day clear liquid diet, which sucked, but I survived. I lost 11 lbs on the pre-op diet. Surgery went well, felt like hell for a few days, but survived that as well. Progressed along to solid foods on my doc's schedule. Proceeded to lose about 50 lbs in 4 months, and then lost another 10 lbs very slowly, down to about 222. Then starting in June, the scales came to a screeching halt, and then much to my horror, started creeping back up, all the way back up to 237. Clear up until just over a week ago, I kept telling myself that I needed to lose the weight I'd regained before going for a fill. I finally kicked myself in the pants and made a fill appointment, and the scales are back down to 231 today!

Goes to show that it ain't over 'till the fat lady is a skinny lady!!!

I started my journey at 278 pounds which was my highest weight ever. I am not really sure exactly how I got there but it is what it is. I never really thought I was that big, I was just kind of in a huge denial of my actual self.

I originally went to a seminar in July of 2006 to learn about the bypass. The nurse coordinator and my mother had worked together way back when so she has know me forever. I was convinced to come to the meeting when I saw how great she had looked and that she had a bypass in 1997. At that meeting I learned about the Lapband which I had never even heard of before. I got my info and thought about it but decided to try dieting one last time. I lost 30 pounds that I promtly regained.

In Decmeber of 06 I gathered my doctors documentation and had my consult. I could have had my surgery in January but opted to wait until Feb. I had my UGI and psych eval done and I was ready to go.

Day of surgery. I was scared out of my mind. I had never had surgery before and I could not get myself to calm down. I kissed my kids and held them tight. Once I went through preop and was lying on the bed I finally got some meds to calm down. I remember being pushed to the OR room and it felt like I was flying there. They transferred me to the bed and the next thing I remember was being pushed to my room leaving the postop area. I have been told that when I woke up in the OR I felt up and down my body and exclained "Holy shit, I am fucking alive"

This whole past year has been the hardest journey of my life but the best thing I have ever done for myself. I have struggled with head hunger, emotional eating, plateaus, and frustrations, but it has taught me that I can survive. I have gained a new confidence about myself. I know I am worth more than i ever thought was possible. I know I can be a good wife and mother. I know that even if bad things happen, I can and will overcome them. With the loss of these 85 pounds I have gained a whole new sense of self. I always said that weight loss would never change me but it has. It has opened up a whole new world that I never really knew existed. It has challenged my thoughts of how my life was and showed me just what it could be. Instead of the facade I put on daily I have now gained the confidence to finally truely be myself.

I can't wait to find what my second year of banding has in store for me.

I started off at 361 pounds and was banded 2/8/07 @ 350 pounds. I currently weigh 300 pounds. I'm having trouble getting below the 300 mark. I've been the same for about three weeks now.

In the past year I have gone from a size 32 to 24. I walked the 5K Koman Walk, 3 mile Junior Diabetes walk, exercise 3-5 days a week. I would have NEVER done these things before getting banded. I made it through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the New Year without gaining a pound.

Today, I am having the best Birthday in a long time.

My goal for the next month is to run on the treadmill because I've only walked on it.

Goal for the this summer is to walk the two Walks again and faster than before.

And to ride a bike outside.

HAPPY BANDIVERSARY TO ALL FEBRUARY '07 BANDSTERS!!!!

I had a adjustable laparoscopic gastric band performed in Glasgow, Scotland at the Nuffield Hospital (Mr David Galloway) on 7th February 07, I am a surgeon myself (Trauma Orthopaedic & Hands) and live in Edinburgh, Scotland. Pre band I was 162Kg. On New Years Day at 118Kg I entered the Edinburgh New Years Day Triathlon, my first Triathlon, I had not been this weight for 25 Years! My weight loss has slowed in the last few months, I would like to get to 100Kg Last week I passed my advanced PADI Open Water scuba dive exams and dived to a depth of 24 meters.

As a medical student I have previously run marathons and been a white-water kayaker.

I have run a blog since my surgery at Chris Oliver Blogspot this was intended to relay my experiences, however it has grown somewhat and in the UK there has been a lot of interest from the media. I hope the blog will be useful to other bariatric surgery patients and help the development of bariatric services in the UK.

Note my weights and measures are in mostly metric.

...and congrats to you on reaching onederland...you look great!

I'm coming up on my year anniversary and I've had no progress since about September. I started having problems swallowing and they are still not resolved. I'm eating all the wrong things and feel miserable when I have to throw up. When I try to eat good food, it takes so long everything is cold by the time I've finally finished it uncomfortably. I've had all the fill taken out of my band so there is no restriction. My willpower is non-existent. I just don't know what to do to get back on track again and have no emotional energy to even try. I just want to hibernate and be miserable.

Any words of advice???

Happy Bandiversary you guys !;) I'll be there in 2 more weeks !:biggrin:

Hey Babygirl , I'm right behind you as always in the weight loss. Keep leading the way !!!! I so wanted to be at 10O in a year, but I'll take the 88 or wherever I'll be in 2 weeks. I'm getting filled again next Wed., so we'll see.

Are the guys starting to look at you all more now ? I'm noticing that is happening which is kinda freaking me because it's a new first. i've been tanning and have a new hair style, so I'm lovin' it. But my dh is starting to question why i dress better now , so i make sure he gets the attention he deserves so he will have nothing to worry about. Shoot , I've been w/ him 18 years , so why mess up a good thing ?

Well , it's time to sit w/ the little hoodlums again here at school - my favorite part of the day .:smile: Have and awesome day girls !

OMG yes Andrea.

When I was at the bar a few weeks ago it was a whole new experience for me. I had guys to dance with and a drink in my hand at all times. It was so weird. I have never dealt with that before. It was pretty awesome.