Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Hi, I haven't been here in a while, and every time I come I say I'll remember how much I gain here, and comee back often. My Sr moments sometimes last awhile :)

BJANE I hope you are not doing what I did. It took me almost a week and lots of gas pain to remember I am very sensitive to milk and I was making my shakes with milk. DUH!! I hate that word, but it fit at the time :) When I switched to soy milk it cured the problem :)

I used sugar free Carnation Breakfast as my liquid meals. They make 3 flavors and it beats anything else, for me.

be blessed, carlene

Hi all, I'm still around but haven't been able to sit long enough to post. I've been having some very dreadful back pain. Almost back to normal now. I'm starting PT next week. I hope you are all well and enjoying your summer.

Sorry about your back trouble, Sharon. Hope the PT will help.

We're not having summer here. Just more spring... rain, cold, clouds! Went to Canada for a couple of days and there was actually some sun up there.

Hi Damienne, Just checking in to see how your surgery went. Take care.

Edited by KarenIn

Sharon: Sorry to hear about your back. I know how it affects everything. Hang in there, and I hope you feel much better soon. PT is usually a great help.

Bjane: Glad to hear your surgery went well. Hang in there, and keep in touch with how you are doing.

Thanks Karenin--I'm doing pretty well except gas pains; and they are better each day. I'm trying to drink apple juice and I think that may be making the gas worse. But, doggonit, it tastes better than water! Thanks for your message.

Hi,this is my first post. I was banded 1/9/08 and have lost around 35 lbs so far. Slow but steady. I have cut back on some meds and feel so much better than I did. I was a self pay and have never regretted my decision.

Hi,this is my first post. I was banded 1/9/08 and have lost around 35 lbs so far. Slow but steady. I have cut back on some meds and feel so much better than I did. I was a self pay and have never regretted my decision.

Welcome, Judy!

Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Good Evening,

Thanks Judy and Phyl. I was banded on 2/1/08 and have lost about 30 lbs. I'm not sure, I gain Fluid and then loose it in a day sometimes. I'm frustrated, and I know I shouldn't be. I've had 2 fills and am due for one next Monday. Have not reached that sweet spot and am still fighting the Lion and myself, also.

Just am not disciplining that sweet tooth enough.

Decided to do Dr Atkins type eating. Trouble is when I actually did Dr Atkins I had to do 0..0 carbs for several weeks and my tummy just can't handle all that Protein without something other than, for more than a week, and I totally blew it yesterday, so continued on today.

Have strawberry shortcake planned for bed time snack.< /p>

I think you have both helped me. Tomorrow I will do better and leave the bread, Cereal and sugar alone.

I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me.

carlene

Just am not disciplining that sweet tooth enough. Decided to do Dr Atkins type eating. Trouble is when I actually did Dr Atkins I had to do 0..0 carbs for several weeks and my tummy just can't handle all that Protein without something other than, for more than a week, and I totally blew it yesterday, so continued on today. Have strawberry shortcake planned for bed time snack. I think you have both helped me. Tomorrow I will do better and leave the bread, Cereal and sugar alone. I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me. carlene

Takes some time to get over the craving for sweets,

but it will go away.

The strawberries are great,

but are you using Lite Cool Whip

or something low cal on top??

And a small sliver of sponge cake is not too bad.

You can get some 60 cal fat free fudgcicles.

I get mine at Albertson's. You must try to keep the carbs down to a minimum. Protein, veggies, maybe a little bit of rice. Steamed, mashed cauliflower with a little sour cream added can be a great substitute for mashed potatoes. Add a little garlic if you like. I've read that you can make mock potato salad using cauliflower instead of potatoes also. I haven't tried that yet. I assume you'd want to steam the cauliflower at least a little first. It's on my list of things to try. I happen to love any kind of fish, especially salmon, and I even like salmon patties. So last night I made salmon patties using mashed cauliflower instead of rice. They were good and very low cal. Chopped up leftover salmon, diced onions, a little garlic, mashed cauliflower, and I should have used an egg, but I used eggbeaters, so they kind of fell apart a little.

I guess what I'm saying is, get creative, try some new things to help you get off the carbs and sweets.

Hi everyone, well, I had my surgery on May 21, 2008 and have lost 15 lobs. Actually lost 19 but have gained 4 back. Havent' had a fill as I'm only 3 wks out, but boy am I ever ready! I'm hungry. I know I'm eating more than I should, but I am at least trying to eat the right things. Will it get easier? And will I quit gaining and start losing when I get a fill?

sunshine. congratulations on getting the band. I note a few underlying misconceptions. You have gained 4 lbs back - what are you eating? You must still be on mushies and your choices may be too hight in calories. You probably won't find much difference in your first fill (depending on what your fill doctor/nurse gives you). Normally it will take you about three fills to start feeling constriction.

May I be so bold as to remind you that the band is not anything but a tool for you to use. It will not make you lose weight if you continue to eat unhealthy high caloric food. You must work at losing weight. My fill is 5.5 ccs in a 10 cc band and I have restriction to the point I can't eat any more than 3 oz hard Protein and 3-6 oz of veggies/fruit. Unfortunately, doughnuts, chips, etc. go down to easy to I have to stay away from them. So, as you are just starting off, start off right by selecting exactly what your doctors tells you and chewing the living daylight out of it. Exercise and you will soon see progress. Good luck

Hi and thank you for your reply. To ans some of your questions: I am on solid foods for one week. A typical day of eating consists of: Break: 3-4 cups black coffee and maybe 6 oz OJ. Lunch: tuna salad sandwich on 2 slices of Pepperidge Farm extra thin whole wheat bread. (salad made with light mayo). Dinner: either a lean cuisine, south beach or Healthy Choice frozen entree. Before bed I will either have a sugar free popcycle or a square of graham cracker with Simply Jif Peanut Butter as I am a diabetic. If I dont have a frozen entree I eat rotisserie chicken until I feel satisfied but not full. usually takes both legs and thighs. I am using the tread mill about 15 min a day. I am not eating any chips, Cookies etc. I am honestly trying to do as the dietician told me. In fact I carry my paperwork with her suggestions with me in my purse all the time and refer to them when buying groc. or planning my meals. I do know I am retaining Water but 4-5 lbs worth?

well done sunshine. It is great to hear you are following the rules. Then all I h ave to suggest is relax the weight will start rolling off as time goes by. Try not to be impatient as your brain will try every trick in the book to get you to fall off the wagon. For what it is worth, I don't exercise much at all (I am retired and just don't like formal exercise) and I still lose 1/2 lb a week since last Feb. 07. Keep posting we love to hear how you are doing in your journey.

I got my band this past Tuesday and I am on my way to a healthier life. I am 62 and a diabetic, high blood pressure, etc. I had my surgery at 8:30 and was leaving at 1 p.m. I spent the first two nights at my daughters (she is an RN so I had a private nurse--it was very comforting). I had a lot of pain on my left side and in my chest and between my shoulder blades and still have some. It is all slowly getting better. I am not having any trouble doing the full liquid diet. I seem to have a slight cough and a slight fever. I feel OK but a little tired, I have been walking a little to clear the gas pains but other than that everything is great