Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Hi Phyl: Happy 3rd Bandster Anniversary! You did a teriffic job in three years. Keep it going. Havn't told anyone except my hubby, daughter & grandaughter. Didn't want to until I'm sure its going to happen. Looks good so far! cat

No action here for awhile. I got totally bored reading the new posts lines. Some of those young'ens are so impatient. They act like if they don't lose 30 lbs a month, there must be something wrong! Yipes! My own weight loss had been sort of slow until May/June and July. Now, I am only 7 lbs from the goal my surgeon has set for me. But, between Oct-Jan, I had only lost about 20 lbs.

Anyway, needed to come over here to gripe. Haha!

I went shopping today, something I have gotten real happy to do. I bought 3 dresses on sale. They are size 10. I haven't been in size 10 since 1979. My husband helped pick them out. He is very proud of my new found figure, too.:)

Talk to you all soon, I hope, can't deal with the silly 20 somethings complaining about being on a plateau at 2 months out after loosing 30 lbs.

No action here for awhile. I got totally bored reading the new posts lines. Some of those young'ens are so impatient. They act like if they don't lose 30 lbs a month, there must be something wrong! Yipes! My own weight loss had been sort of slow until May/June and July. Now, I am only 7 lbs from the goal my surgeon has set for me. But, between Oct-Jan, I had only lost about 20 lbs.

I went shopping today, something I have gotten real happy to do. I bought 3 dresses on sale. They are size 10. I haven't been in size 10 since 1979. My husband helped pick them out. He is very proud of my new found figure, too.:)

Talk to you all soon, I hope, can't deal with the silly 20 somethings complaining about being on a plateau at 2 months out after loosing 30 lbs.

LOL! Yeah, something to be said for maturity, huh!!

I am about to Celebrate my 3 yr "bandiversary". I'm losing very slowly right now... kind of at a standstill for the last few months. But, it will come off. I'm down to about a 16-18 for the first time in many, many years, too. I have lost about 125 lb and wnat to lose another 50.

Had some "issues" with my band a couple of months ago and they took out all the Fluid to let me rest. Then last month, put 3ccc back in and yesterday another 1cc. So I hope to have good restriction again, without a lot of problems eating hard Protein. So far, chicken noodle Soup a couple of hours ago.

And I just got a new puppy, so I'm finding myself quite a bit more active the past few weeks! We've had her 3 weeks today. I'm up and down taking her in and out and in and out. She had to learn how to walk on a leash, so I'm walking her around our condo complex about once a day, sometimes twice, and we're playing ball, etc. I have a handicap scooter that I really only use as a "golf cart" around the neighborhood and she loves to ride around in the basket. So I'm not spending nearly as much time sitting in front of the TV/computer. At the moment, I'm contemplating how to sneak out to the gym without her getting upset because she can't go! DH will have to distract her while I escape! HAHA!

Good to see some action here.

Congrats on your 3 yr bandaversary! I hope that when I go back to the doctor in Aug I will be at his goal. At that time, I am asking for a slight un-fill. I am pretty tight and have a hard time eating much real food. I just had to mash my peas for dinner, as had them last night and they came up and it was not a pretty sight.

Does anyone have problems with Constipation? I have been having a problem for a while now, too. So, anyway, life is pretty good. My husband and I are going to the gym, and he is using the tread mill. Something, he really hated.

Congrats on your 3 yr bandaversary! I hope that when I go back to the doctor in Aug I will be at his goal. At that time, I am asking for a slight un-fill. I am pretty tight and have a hard time eating much real food. I just had to mash my peas for dinner, as had them last night and they came up and it was not a pretty sight.

Does anyone have problems with Constipation? I have been having a problem for a while now, too. So, anyway, life is pretty good. My husband and I are going to the gym, and he is using the tread mill. Something, he really hated.

Thanks! I get discouraged sometimes that I'm not at goal yet, but I'll get there!

Definitely sounds like you need an unfill. Shouldn't be having things come back up.

I use Benefiber in my crystal lite.. a couple of tsps a day, and it keeps me regular.

Congrats on going to the gym.

Feels good, doesn't it!

10_8_8.gif 7_5_142.gif

lol regarding the 20 year olds and their impatience.

Our years give us a better perspective. You are both doing a wonderful job.

Phyll - 125 lbs. wow eee wow

And kll724 - size 10 dresses - in my dreams. Enjoy your success after hard work. Marvelous.

Joyce

I went shopping today, something I have gotten real happy to do. I bought 3 dresses on sale. They are size 10. I haven't been in size 10 since 1979. My husband helped pick them out. He is very proud of my new found figure, too.:wink2:

lol regarding the 20 year olds and their impatience.

Our years give us a better perspective. You are both doing a wonderful job.

Phyll - 125 lbs. wow eee wow

And kll724 - size 10 dresses - in my dreams. Enjoy your success after hard work. Marvelous.

Joyce

ladykcusa - You've done a fantastic job also with your weight loss. You were banded about three weeks prior to me and what I was told Thursday when I went in for a fill (Not):cool: that with the 22 pounds I've lost since surgery (four pounds since I last saw him) I'm ahead of schedule for weight loss for "gender an age" so no fill. I politely informed the surgeon that my age was only on paper, and I wanted to get to 18 soon:rolleyes2:, that didn't work either. So congratulations on your weight loss keep up the great job.

Phyll - 125 lbs is OMG statement as is kll724 size 10. Both of you have done a super job and you both had to worked really hard to achieve this. Super Great Job. I've never, never, been a size 10 and I can only hope I can lose what you have Phyll. Then I might be a size 12.

I really believe, achieving our "sucess" at weight loss that we will get there maybe a little slower then those that are younger, but our success will be a lot longer all due to our maturity and patience. We are like a fine wine, we just get better with age:cheers2:.

ladykcusa - You've done a fantastic job also with your weight loss. You were banded about three weeks prior to me and what I was told Thursday when I went in for a fill (Not):cool: that with the 22 pounds I've lost since surgery (four pounds since I last saw him) I'm ahead of schedule for weight loss for "gender an age" so no fill. I politely informed the surgeon that my age was only on paper, and I wanted to get to 18 soon:rolleyes2:, that didn't work either. So congratulations on your weight loss keep up the great job.

Phyll - 125 lbs is OMG statement as is kll724 size 10. Both of you have done a super job and you both had to worked really hard to achieve this. Super Great Job. I've never, never, been a size 10 and I can only hope I can lose what you have Phyll. Then I might be a size 12.

I really believe, achieving our "sucess" at weight loss that we will get there maybe a little slower then those that are younger, but our success will be a lot longer all due to our maturity and patience. We are like a fine wine, we just get better with age:cheers2:.

Thanks for the cheers! And I agree, that we "fine wines" will show our patience and maturity. I, also, have a doctor that is stingy with fills. But, lately am real glad that he was. Good luck to us all.

Hi all: You all have done such a great job. I'm pre-op -- have a tentative date for 8/19. Without the band 30 lbs seems impossible for me to lose. I hope I have as much success as all of you. Now that time is approaching I am getting nervous -- but still excited too. Do you all live a somewhat "normal" social life as far as eating out with friends. We socialize alot and I know I must make some real changes in my choices...but I hope I don't have to give up even healthy choices b'cause of vomiting and getting stuck (which I really don't know what this means). Some of the stories make me concerned about the lifestyle I will have after the band. Again - congrats to all of you for doing a terrific job. cat:scared2:

Hi all: You all have done such a great job. I'm pre-op -- have a tentative date for 8/19. Without the band 30 lbs seems impossible for me to lose. I hope I have as much success as all of you. Now that time is approaching I am getting nervous -- but still excited too. Do you all live a somewhat "normal" social life as far as eating out with friends. We socialize alot and I know I must make some real changes in my choices...but I hope I don't have to give up even healthy choices b'cause of vomiting and getting stuck (which I really don't know what this means). Some of the stories make me concerned about the lifestyle I will have after the band. Again - congrats to all of you for doing a terrific job. cat:scared2:

First off, congratulations on getting a surgery date; that is very cool. The 30 pound target is a challenge but if you are on the typical POW diet you will get there -- POW diet is my rendering of the Protein shakes, broth, and Jell-o plus at least 64 oz of Water. The mixed emotions thing (nervous vs. excited) is pretty well documented for those who have been down the same path, so it comes with the territory. My family has always been big on get togethers where the food, drink, and laughter fill our homes. Stick to your guns. You are facing one of the many challenges ahead. It is all about making good choices over other ones and the more you do it the easier it becomes. If there is one thing I have always loved it is sweets -- cakes, pies, candy, ice cream, you name it I loved it and I still do. The difference is I know where that got me. I might sneak a taste or even saw off a tiny wedge of pie, but it is such a shock to my body I end up pushing it away.

I am coming up on four months post op and have lost 91 pounds of ugly through an adherence to a smart and balanced nutritional plan with regular and now varied exercise. I have had two fills so far with the second one teaching me what "restriction" means. Nevertheless, I just started over again slowly with the POW for three days and on to the pureed stuff and within about ten days it was back to my 8 to 9 oz meals (half Protein, one-quarter veggies, one-quarter fruit) and eventually introducing some starchy/carb stuff like hi-protein bread if I was still hungry.

You can be as successful as you put your mind to; every body is different so my advice is don't take anybody's advice except the trained professionals who have more than anecdotal proof. The surgeon, the nutritionist and me are a team. I love hearing about what others are doing, what worked for them, exchanging ideas and suggested foods, but ultimately it comes down to the choices you make. If things are working and you are getting to your goals or can see them approaching, keep doing what you are doing. And relax. Don't beat yourself up if you don't lose for a stretch or even God forbid gain. You are on a wonderful adventure discovering so much so fast that you often don't appreciate how far you have come.

This soapbox I am standing on is appreciative of my new weight but it is time for me to move on.

We are all pulling and praying for your success. This is the best and most selfish thing you have ever done: you have chosen to live.

Regards from the sunny climes,

One of the problems I experienced prior to the band was the social bit. I would always head for the food table and stand near it. Now that I have the band, I am more into talking with others and do not stand near the food table as I can't eat most of the food anyway.

We said want to be healthy, we can sabatogue the band if we want. One still has to plan and make use of their professionals. My journey can't be yours. Good luck

One of the problems I experienced prior to the band was the social bit. I would always head for the food table and stand near it. Now that I have the band, I am more into talking with others and do not stand near the food table as I can't eat most of the food anyway.

We said want to be healthy, we can sabatogue the band if we want. One still has to plan and make use of their professionals. My journey can't be yours. Good luck

Of course each of our journeys are different, but we can certainly learn from and support each other. Social occassions and restaurants are not as difficult as I thought they would be. When I started my journey I would make sure I knew the menu of the restaurant and had "picked" my meal before I arrived. That means I made a plan, and a conscious choice rather than leaving it to chance. Now, six years out I can usually find something at any restaurant I go to that is food that I can choose to eat. If I know where we are going, I still check the menu beforehand. Regarding social events like parties, etc I now focus on the people rather than the food. I'll start with a tall glass of Water in my hnd as I socialize, then when I am ready to eat, put it down and reach for the smallest plate possible to put a few selected items on. Most party situations are buffet type situations and one can usually find veggies (sans dip) to munch on slowly. If you are worried, bring your own Protein Drink, Protein Bar, or otherwise and just excuse yourself (special diet) and enjoy. Where there is a will there is a way. Read more about how I lost 250 pounds and have kept it off for the first time in my life athttp://http://www.bandedliving.com/public/department14.cfm

Thank you all for your honest replies. Will B, Doddie, & Sandi -- you all did so incredibly well with the band. I can only hope to be half as successful as you. My concerns are about not feeling well while we are out. I know I must change my choices...but hope I will not feel nauseated or sick. Were you ever embarrassed by the band? Guess these are small concerns in the scheme of things but my mind is all over the place. Hope you understand. cat

Thank you all for your honest replies. Will B, Doddie, & Sandi -- you all did so incredibly well with the band. I can only hope to be half as successful as you. My concerns are about not feeling well while we are out. I know I must change my choices...but hope I will not feel nauseated or sick. Were you ever embarrassed by the band? Guess these are small concerns in the scheme of things but my mind is all over the place. Hope you understand. cat

I got it! Glad to know you understand about changing your choices- that is obviously step one to success.

Regarding being sick or nauseaated I htink you are "misunderstanding". Nauseated will not be a problem, however ifyou take bites that are too big, eat too fast, or overeat you may experience what we call "stuck" which is an uncomfortable feeling (like an elephant sitting on your chest) that can require that the food in question come back up. I suggest dining in with friends before dining out with them as you are getting used to the band. I'm sure every one of us has experienced the discomfort at least once, but there is usually sufficient time to get to the rest room to deal with it. Does this answer your question?

Thanks Sandi, that does clear up the question of being nauseated. So its not like having a stomach virus where you are completely sick and can't think of food. Its more like if you over-indulge it will come back to bite you -- and you will feel the effects. Okay I think I got it. BTW, I looked over your blog -- AMAZING!!! You should be so proud. I am proud for you. cat:thumbup: