Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Hello everyone I am new to the 60's thread. I turned 60 in July and was banded april 30,2010. Have had 4 fills not hit sweet spot yet. I am at 8.5 in an 11cc band. I am getting disappointed that maybe this wont work for me either. I only lost 1 lb this last month. urgggg

But I am hanging in there. It hasnt reached 11cc yet so there is still hope but I am almost 5 months out and lost 32 total. Still hanging in there and love this website

WELCOME!!!! :thumbup:

Sounds like you are doing very well to me. That's about 7 pounds a month. I know it's hard to be patient, but you are doing very well. How much do you want to lose in total?

Let us know a little bit about yourself. We are always glad to have new members to our thread. Karen from Indiana

Hello everyone I am new to the 60's thread. I turned 60 in July and was banded april 30,2010. Have had 4 fills not hit sweet spot yet. I am at 8.5 in an 11cc band. I am getting disappointed that maybe this wont work for me either. I only lost 1 lb this last month. urgggg

But I am hanging in there. It hasnt reached 11cc yet so there is still hope but I am almost 5 months out and lost 32 total. Still hanging in there and love this website

Welcome and congratulations on your success to date. This surgery can "work" for you as long as you are willing to "work" with it. You may find the following article interestingLap Band Rules Or How I Use My Tool

I have managed to lose and keep off 250 pounds, and believe me I was first in line when they were handing out the skeptical buttons. It took alot of work, but I've been maintaining for over 4 years now (I am 6 years post op) am 62 years old and feel better than when I was 40. Let me know what you think.

I began at 254 and lost 18 lbs pre surgery and right after. Then it became 1-2 lbs a month. Dr. said I should be able to lose 80 lbs in the 1st year. I have thought I was being patient but after almost 5 months and 4 fills I thought I would be at my sweet spot since my band is 11cc. Like I said it isnt full yet so there is still hope. I just struggle because I still eat alot.

I began at 254 and lost 18 lbs pre surgery and right after. Then it became 1-2 lbs a month. Dr. said I should be able to lose 80 lbs in the 1st year. I have thought I was being patient but after almost 5 months and 4 fills I thought I would be at my sweet spot since my band is 11cc. Like I said it isnt full yet so there is still hope. I just struggle because I still eat alot.

A band being "full" is a relative thing. The goal is not to fill it with as much Fluid as possible, rather to find the place where, when your food choices are appropriate, you can push away from the table after having eaten a small meal feeling like you have had enough. I thought the article on how I use my tool might be helpful to you gaining an understanding of how to optimize using the band as a tool. It is an interactive device. But, you can defeat it's proper use by your food choices and other habits. I was suggesting that you review the article and then look at your habits and maybe you can get to where you want to be. My thoughts are, if it could work for me, it could work for anybody. Does this make sense?

Thank you sandi I did make a print out of the article. It does help. I appreciate your help. What you say does make since. I quess I just feel down sometimes because I am not yet at that sweet spot where smaller portions satisfy. I believe that the fear of failure is from past failures. I really believe this will work it just seems like it is taking so long to get to that point where me and my band CAN work together. I have kept my positive thinking up until now. Just having those neg. thoughts. Thank you so much for the help.

Thank you sandi I did make a print out of the article. It does help. I appreciate your help. What you say does make since. I quess I just feel down sometimes because I am not yet at that sweet spot where smaller portions satisfy. I believe that the fear of failure is from past failures. I really believe this will work it just seems like it is taking so long to get to that point where me and my band CAN work together. I have kept my positive thinking up until now. Just having those neg. thoughts. Thank you so much for the help.

You're welcome. I understand. It is a long road and we have all been down it before and failed....Keep the faith and keep planning your meals and you will get there. what seems to get in the way for you? For me it was night time eating. i had no trouble not drinking with meals, I planned my meals around Protein first, didn't snack, but 2 hours after dinner it's like someone turned on a switch. I had to actually NOT watch TV for a while so I could break the habit of eating in front of it. Let me know how I can help. I'd love to be able to contribute to you finding the right mix....I enjoy paying it forward as you can see by my web site Lap Band Support, Lap Band Forums and Information

Wow! you are doing great. I lost 35 lbs on my 6month pre-diet and then didn't loose but 1-2 lbs a month. But, in May-July the lbs fell off, and so did the inches. Then I started to get stuck all the time, so I had to have everything taken out. I am in maintenance now. I must tell you, I have never, ever, met goal on weight loss before. YOU can do it, too! Good luck.:thumbup:

Hi everyone , I am delighted to have found this site. I am 63 years young and was banded 9/7/2010. Not on a regular diet yet , still with the mushies. I am doing ok , but look forward to eating something with texture. My md won't fill until 6 weeks out and only if weight loss slows. I am fearful that after so many failed attempts at the diet games that I will not be able to change my habits. Hopefully this dog can learn a new trick. So glad to be amongst people who are willing to improve their lives. Thanks

Hi everyone , I am delighted to have found this site. I am 63 years young and was banded 9/7/2010. Not on a regular diet yet , still with the mushies. I am doing ok , but look forward to eating something with texture. My md won't fill until 6 weeks out and only if weight loss slows. I am fearful that after so many failed attempts at the diet games that I will not be able to change my habits. Hopefully this dog can learn a new trick. So glad to be amongst people who are willing to improve their lives. Thanks

Welcome playermimi, we are nice group here. We are all in various stages of weight loss. Many off us have never been successful before. I, also, have a conservative surgeon. I did get my 1st fill at 6 weeks, because I wasn't loosing. It is a learning curve. But, with the help of your surgeon's office and this site, you can do it too! Best of luck!:thumbup:

Thanks for the welcome I appreciate it. Today will be a true test of whats to come. My first social eating event, a birthday brunch. I am trying to prepare myself mentally and will have a shake before I go. But lets face it hunger or what I think is hunger starts in my brain not my stomach! Wish me luck.

Let us know how you did, Playermimi. These "firsts" are a challenge, but it becomes easier as your new way of life takes hold.

Hello again, back from my first social occasion. I think I did ok , ate 2 pieces if frittata and was satisfied but I had to remind myself that I had eaten enough. Dessert was a killer I did not eat any but it sure looked good. Please tell me this is going to get easier!

Nope - cannot do. Nothing in life is easy and for me personally, loosing weight and changing lifestyle is one battle after another. The band keeps me honest until I can give my head a shake and get back on track. Good luck.... enjoy the ups AND downs of the journey. End results can't wait.

:thumbup:Finally!! A 'sixties' group and I learned today that I will be banded on 10/18! I am so ready.:lol2::biggrin: I love to read everyone's posts. It seems like I learn something new with every post I read. Keep the advice coming. I have a friend that was banded about two years ago and I try to listen to what she says. She did tell me a secret for whaen something gets 'stuck'. Sip on pineapple juice (6 oz.). It will take a little while, but it will work. Thank you all for being here. It really makes a difference.:)