Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Hi !! and good luck on your decision..I have not looked back and wished I had done it sooner...

I would say take 2 weeks off and don`t do any lifting for at least 3 weeks ..I found I spent the first week sleeping a lot , I guess it depends on your work but don`t rush back and expect to be able to do all the physical things straight away , give your stitces (inside) time to heal...I got hubby to carry the groceries for me for 3 weeks no way did I want to bust any stitches and have to be re done...

I have had NO problems at all its been a breeze.

Best of luck ..

Chat later off tobed here enjoy your Saturday mine is over...

Thanks Majj for your encouraging words. Will use hubby as much as I can for help. When were you able to drive? and did you get Heparin shots to prevent clotting? It seems as though some do and some don't. I must ask my Dr. about this. Just saw him once at original consultation -- but will ask one of his staff at a seminar I will be going to prior to surgery. Cat lady

Thanks Majj for your encouraging words. Will use hubby as much as I can for help. When were you able to drive? and did you get Heparin shots to prevent clotting? It seems as though some do and some don't. I must ask my Dr. about this. Just saw him once at original consultation -- but will ask one of his staff at a seminar I will be going to prior to surgery. Cat lady

Hi! I had mine at 62 and it was the best thing I ever did for ME! The surgery was very easy for me and so was the recovery...I was driving in just a few days. No Heparin shots for me...but I have heard of others getting it. I guess it depends on your other medical history.

Not sure about the others..but mentally this feels wonderful. The weight is coming off slowly but I have a very conservative surgeon..just got my 3rd fill and my sursery was in October! Down 60 pounds so I can not complain and I feel great. No issues at all with the port or band.

I wish you alot of luck....

PS..today I am cleaning out my closets and giving away almost all my clothes..nice feeling but also hard to do!

Gail

Hi Cat Lady,

Welcome to the site and the best thing I've done for ME! I am going to be 62 on my birthday, which is 21 days away. I hope to be, almost, to goal by then. I woke up this morning and stepped on the scale. I am under 160 for the 1st time in 30 years. I am healthier and happier than I can explain!

It will depend on your healing strength. I was okay to do light stuff after a week. You can't do heavy lifting. I was told nothing heavier than a gallon of milk. Your grandkids should be okay to watch as they will try to help Grand ma as much as they can. Walking is important, and doing it as erect as possible. Good luck, and join us when you want, we are a friendly bunch.

Hi All: I am new to this site. After 8 months of researching and doing my required tests I have decided to do this surgery. Got spooked by reading about some complications which I will not do again and changed my mind mid-stream. Most of you say its the best thing you ever did for yourself. I being 62 have devoted most of my life to raising my kids, watching grandkids, and keeping hubby happy. This is something I need to do for "me". Did any of you have "heparin" shots to reduce the risk of clots? This is one of my major concerns. Also how was the recouperation from this surgery. Is one week realistic before going back to work??? I also watch my 2 grandsond ages 6 & 2 two times a week. Hubby is semi-retired so he will be with me to help out. Sorry for rambling but now that this is "real" I have so many questions. Thanks for any replies. Cat lady

Welcome Cat lady:

You are right. This is something you need to do for you. That's how I thought about it 6 years ago. I am now almost 62 and in better health than I have been in probably 30 years! I have muscles in places I didn't even know I had. while I didn't get heparin shots when I had lap band surgery, I did have shots of blood thinner for a week after each of my 2 plastic surgeries. I had a history oif blood clots so this is what my plastic surgeon recommended. I find that the best thing for me is to follow my doctor's instructions. Since you are just starting out, in addition to this board being a great place to meet people you may find some useful information on my blog which you can find at http://www.sandidbandedliving.com

Let me know if it helps, and this is a journey that I have never regretted!

I was given a shot in the belly to prevent clotting and had to wear sexy white sox for 3 weeks after the surgery ...

I was driving 5 days after banding no problems ....

Night..

Hi: Having the band was the best decision I have ever made. Like all surgeries complications can set in but if you follow your instructions it is unlikely you will have problems.

As for me, I had no trouble had the band put in and flew home the day after surgery and have had no problems. Todate, I have lost 94 lbs, slow and steady has been my pace but others go faster. Wishing you the best.

Vacillating over gastric surgery is to be expected. It is radical in that it means a completely different course and it can be a wonderful choice.

But every choice is accompanied with anxiety as well as baggage. Your past experiences will nag at you. Any previously unsuccessful attempts to lose weight will haunt you. Attitude is key. Keeping and controlling your attitude is like driving a car. Most will check the rear view mirror with regularity to make sure it's safe and see where you've been, but the majority of your focus is on what lies ahead. Just like driving, the new journey requires that you make course corrections based upon the information you have absorbed and seek; conditions change. Most of us use the same route to get to work, the store, etc. But when we are going somewhere new it is quite another matter.

The same holds true regarding your nutritional path. It is one thing to have a regimented eating program at home and quite another when you come out into the world again. The unmanaged and uncontrolled are the potholes and road hazards. You learn to adjust, make smart choices; you learn to ask questions of the server and if need be the chef. What you put into your system is as important as knowing what is in your fuel tank.

I drive a car with a turbo-charged engine and the manufacturer recommends a high octane fuel for optimal results. So when I fill up I have a choice: pay more and get results or economize and put up with the pings and stutters. When I go to the market or out to a restaurant I face the same kinds of choices: how do I want to fuel my engine. Am I willing to pay a little more, get what I know is good for me, have it prepared the best way, adjust the portions, and enjoy it guilt free or cut corners, go cheap and easy, eat like those around you to fit in, rationalize it away and eventually recognize the old behavior won out.

Final metaphor; promise. This journey you are on is going to take you to new places along familiar and unfamiliar pathways. The best sea captains and explorers plotted their courses without always having a clear understanding of their ultimate destination, relying upon their experience and often the wisdom of others who may have traveled there before; sometimes they got good advice, sometimes it was otherwise, but nevertheless they persevered, learning more along the way, sharing what they had discovered, and finding that getting to the destination was more meaningful than actually setting foot on the foreign soil.

Regards as always,

Edited by Will_B_Healthy
Clerical corrections

WELCOME! Cat Lady

I had my Lap Band placed a few days before my 61st birthday. Sure wish I had done it sooner. It's the best birthday present I ever received. I look better, but best of all I feel so much better. It gave me a new lease on life. I can do so many of the things that I couldn't do before, and I feel at least 10 years younger. I work a desk job and was able to go back after one week, but had to be mindful not to lift anything heavy, but remember each person is different.

Glad to have you join our group. Everyone here is very supportive, so let us know if you have any questions or if you just need a little reassurance.

Hi all: Thank you for all of your honest replies. It is amazing how well you all have done. I only hope I can do half as well as you guys. Sandi: I read your blog - it is truly amazing. Will: your well written analagies to this lapband journey are so true. I know that I have tried many times to lose the weight and cannot do it on my own. Naturally, I don't enjoy thinking about the risks of surgery, but I have faith in God and trust in the doctor and his staff. I will try to follow all the rules so that I might be as successful as all of you. All my tests are completed and my file is in for approval. Hope to get a date some time in August. cat lady

Edited by cat lady

Hi all, I was banded 6/29. 1 week out and so far feeling pretty good. start on full liquids this week. any suggestions of things to try? went back to work yesterday - it kicked my butt a bit but I worked for 10 hrs. I live in Austin,tx area. does anyone know of any support groups that are in south Austin?:confused:

Welcome PB78640,

Congrats on your 1st step toward a new you!

Trying to think back to full liquids. If you like it, hot and sour Soup from Chinese is a good option, also, ice pops, and I drink a lot of lemon aide.

I continued to have at least 2 Protein Shakes. I was liking beef boullion, too, but most varieties have a lot of sodium in them.

I hope my suggestions help a little. Mostly, I wanted to welcome you.:confused:

Hi All: I am new to this site. After 8 months of researching and doing my required tests I have decided to do this surgery. Got spooked by reading about some complications which I will not do again and changed my mind mid-stream. Most of you say its the best thing you ever did for yourself. I being 62 have devoted most of my life to raising my kids, watching grandkids, and keeping hubby happy. This is something I need to do for "me". Did any of you have "heparin" shots to reduce the risk of clots? This is one of my major concerns. Also how was the recouperation from this surgery. Is one week realistic before going back to work??? I also watch my 2 grandsond ages 6 & 2 two times a week. Hubby is semi-retired so he will be with me to help out. Sorry for rambling but now that this is "real" I have so many questions. Thanks for any replies. Cat lady

Hi, Cat Lady! Welcome to this thread! I was banded at 63-- 3 yrs ago. In fact, just got back from 3 yr reunion with gals from the July 07 thread.... 8 of us rented a beach house here in WA state for the July 4th weekend. Had a GREAT time! Will post a photo.

You won't be sorry! Best decision I ever made!

Will..... GREAT metaphors and excellent advice!

Good to hear from all of you!

post-220150-1381313942839_thumb.jpg

post-220150-13813139428677_thumb.jpg

Hi all: Went to seminar for Dr. Geiss' patients last night in Long Island. Very informative. Today rec'd the call to schedule my date. ITS AUGUST 19TH. Don't want to get too excited bcause it still needs to be approved by my ins. Can't understand why they do it this way. Seems backwards to me...but what do I know. Now this is really happening....I'm nervous, scared but also very excited! ! !

:confused::):thumbup:

Hi all: Went to seminar for Dr. Geiss' patients last night in Long Island. Very informative. Today rec'd the call to schedule my date. ITS AUGUST 19TH. Don't want to get too excited bcause it still needs to be approved by my ins. Can't understand why they do it this way. Seems backwards to me...but what do I know. Now this is really happening....I'm nervous, scared but also very excited! ! !:thumbup::eek::thumbup:

CONGRATS on getting your date!!

I remember how excited I was when I got mine!

I was out tooling around the neighborhood on my handicap scooter and when I came home,

DH had a big note on the screen door...

"Surgery Date July 20"!!