Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The waiting... is the hardest part

OK - So it's only been a week since I submitted my paperwork to the Dr.s office to get this process started, but I am starting to get antsy to get the process going.

I need to lose about 50 lbs before surgery, so I have started eating better and exercising. I also know I need a psyc eval and insurance approval. All things considered, I am probably six-seven months out from surgery. (A rough guess, hopefully not much longer than that!)

How long did everyone else have to wait? Any tips for to shorten the process and or to keep me on track?

John

I had to lose 20 pounds in 3 weeks in order to keep my surgery date scheduled. I went on Medifast. I think it made the transition to the post surgery diet easier.

Good luck to you! It's the best decision I have ever made!

Why do ya'll have to lose weight before the surgery? It took 6 flipping months to get my insurance to approve this and I go in Wed. the 16th! I am happy and scared all at the same time (going under scares me the most)

Protein shakes are a good way to loss weight if it is a must before surgery. I have been on the liquid diet my doctor put me on two weeks before surgery and I have lost 16 pounds in 11 days. Was it fun? No, but I do feel better and have a great motivation! ~Laurinda~

I'm sorry I am kinda new at this and posted the same post twice :welldoneclap: this is me trying to fix it (laughing)

I am having my surgery this Thursday (1/17), go in for pre-op consultation on wednesday. I am so nervous / excited! I feel like it won't come fast enough, I don't know what to do to fill that extra time.

Glitter354 I have lots and lots of laundry if you need something to do :welldoneclap:

Good-luck to you! ~Laurinda~

"Waiting is the hardest Part" Love the title for your post. Put me in a Tom Petty Reverie.... I shortened the process by paying for it myself. It has helped me to appreciate it a lot, but I don't think that means that if you do it thru insurance you appreciate it less. I am just so impatient! Oh, no problems with instant gratification here! hah hah.

GOOD LUCK!

I need to lose weight before surgery because like most men, I carry most of my weight in my midsection and that makes it hard / dangerous to do the operation until I can lose some of the gut.

I thought about doing self pay to help shorten the time, but my company does a 50 / 50 split and I just can't justify the 7-10 k extra cost to my fam if I can avoid it.

Sing it Tom. " The waiting is the hardest part." :smile:

John

KCbigguy, You can do it and OMG YES!!! If your insurance will cover it let it! Bless your heart I know waiting is hard,I waited a long time too! But you know what they say about good things....

comes to those who wait :eek: Have a GREAT one out there! ~Laurinda~

Glitter354 I have lots and lots of laundry if you need something to do :)

Good-luck to you! ~Laurinda~

Awww Thanks Laurinda! But unfortunately, I have plenty of laundry, dishes, and cleaning of my own to do. I appreciate the offer though :eek:

I got my "blue card" in the mail from the Dr. today. Basically that means my paperwork is in order and they are moving me on to the insurance approval part.

One small step at a time :lol:

John

The only way to speed it up is to go self pay. I am in KC area too and my company didn't cover any of it last year so I had to self pay. I had my consult at the end of January and surgery at the end of Feb. Dr. Malley wasted no time.

If I had the option to get part of it covered I would have loved to save 50% but it is still every bit worth it.

I had my surgery done in K.C. and my insurance payed for it. Although it was a long process and the insurance company put me thru HELL. I am so glad that I held out. That's why my husband worked long hours and put in 30 years with his company. It was their duty to pay for this and I wasn't going to let them discourage me. (strongheaded female).

I first contacted my surgeon in April and had also started Weight Watchers. By the time I went into surgery in October I had lost almost 50lbs. Dr was so excited and because of it I did not have to do the preop diet. No doing liquids for 3 or 4 day or 2 weeks. I di myself a favor by doing that. One thing that was good about the waiting was that I learned alot more about myself. I learned patience and how to enjoy things again. I learned what exercises I liked and how to do them right. I learned that my family was my best friend and supporter. I learned that no matter what I looked like or what I'm going to look like when this is all done, that I have a person in my life that loves me no matter what. I have a husband that sees me for who I am and not for what I look like. That he sees the good in me. He is my friend, allie, phsycatrist, sounding board, tissue holder and my teammate.

Take this time while waiting to do things for you. Start learning how to drink Water and enjoy it. Start learning how to eat properly. Take smaller bites. Learn to chew. Learn to take longer to eat. Learn to walk.I will come in handy.

Hope this helps you out. Good Luck to you.

Gee thanks JOHN, now I have an ear worm! :)

I just got approval on Friday and I've been jumping through hoops since May. I hope things come sooner for you than you anticipate!