Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who know, who doesn't, and why???

I told two of my sisters, one was very supportive, the other (she's a nurse) just about had a cow. She tried to give me ALL the pros and cons about the surgery. I asked them not to tell my mother. Right after that I wished I hadn't told the nursey, nursey, cause she ran right back and told my mother.:smile: My mom doesn't know that I know that she knows. She doesn't say anything except, "you are really losing that weight". I only answer, "yes, mam". So I agree with everyone, once you tell it, you can't take it back. I did tell DH and just the other night he told me that I have changed. I am losing the weight and I am very humble at the same time realizing that I am changing because I finally feel good about myself. My children (grown) are very supportive. I have a very good friend that had the same surgery and we are supportive of each other. I did tell another friend that doesn't live in the same state and when she saw me, she was so happy for me. So think through who you think will be there for you. Though THICK AND THIN. LOL

Best of blessings to you, after all we are here for you if you decide not to tell anyone but us. LOL

That's most of my story. I won't bore you w/ the rest but I'd love to hear why you have decided or not to tell who ever!
I told anyone with whom it came up. most of my family, most of my co-workers. The family that doesn't know, either I haven't seen them since banding (I'm not good at keeping communication up with family unless it's in person) or it just hasn't come up... several have seen the weightloss who maybe don't know I'm banded. Maybe someone told them, but it wasn't me... because we were at a wedding and when they commented on my loss, it wasn't an appropriate time to tell them. But if it comes up or they ask how I did it, I will tell them in a heartbeat.

Wow, that's really random - sorry it's hard to follow.

Basically I tell anyone who asks, anyone with whom it would come up as part of conversation, etc.

No secrets here.

I was hesistant to tell one of my sisters becasue she is a big fitness guru. I eventually told her and prefaced it by telling her I just wanted her to know and if she was not able to be supportive, then please don't say anything at all. But it went well and all of my immediate famly knew before the surgery. Only 3 of my close friends know about it other than my family. I like it that way. I would tell people if they ask...I won't lie about it. It's been nice to see how some people look at me and know I look different but no one wants to say anything.

I'll be 35 in a few weeks. I need this change in my life, I feel, to move forward and really grow, not only professionally, but personally too.

I've only told a few people about my surgery. I have two neighbors who know, and the person who's taking me on the day of my surgery. That's it!!

The person taking me, also has a band. We've become a lot closer since I found out she has the band. I had asked one of my two neighbors to take me since I though I'd have the surgery shortly after I decided it was for me. Insurance had other plans though. It's been a while now so I'm sure she's forgotten it.

I was going to tell my mom, but changed my mind. I don't like keeping this from her, but while she was here for C'mas, she left a food-stuff here saying that it would help me lose weight, "be a better choice for me". It was a butter made w/ yogurt. I don't really eat a lot of butter, and it hurt me. I know she only did it to help, so I can't really be that mad. But that's what changed my mind. I'll tell them after I've lost some weight, when they see me next, in March or so.

I'm also hoping that this weight loss will improve my career. I work in a male-dominated field and I'm very frustrated that I've not been promoted in the 3 years I've worked there. Plus the fact that when a position came open, and they promote from w/ in (Hahaha, jokes on you!!!!), that I was not even considered for it. And Yes, I did tell my boss that I wanted to move into that position!!! What good is it to keep getting certifications if you can't/aren't being allowed to use them????

That's most of my story. I won't bore you w/ the rest but I'd love to hear why you have decided or not to tell who ever!

:smile:

Shandra

TX_IT_Chick!!

Personally I told only my fiancee and my sister. I wanted to wait until after I had the surgery because I didnt want the possible negative remarks or health risks or even worry from my family. I am glad for my decision to keep it to myself and do my own research and stay on this site ALOT! You will learn much here, I dare say more than anywhere else. Hope I helped and let me know if you would like to chat more. Good luck!

My DH knows and a few friends, that's it. I am not telling my parents or other family because I don't think that they'll be supportive. I wrote all about it here: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f80/parents-other-relatives-49056/

Shoot! I've told everybody! My mom, my brother, my boss, all the girls in the office with me, my friends and if I'd been able to catch him, the mail man when he dropped my mail Saturday! LOL! they all know I'm fat, (hello-look at me!) and I'm excited to be doing something about it finally! Hell, I'd even shout it from the bow of the Titanic like Leo if I could! I'm embarassed by being fat not doing something about it! But every one that knows has been very supportive of me. The only person I'm getting crap about it from is DH, and I'm with Kudo on that one, I just don't think he can handle it.

Tell your DH that the Lapband isn't the ONLY thing that can be replaced if problems develop (lol).:)

I told my close family after I was approved by insurance. I wanted to keep it to myself for a while. I am a barber in a small town so everyone notices everything people are doing. So I have told people who ask that I think will "get it". The people that are not understanding of that I don't. I have not had one bad comment. But my dh told me last night not to tell him everytime I lose a pound. I don't share that info with most anyone. But he is not currently losing, so I need to be conciderate. It is hard to do that when I don't have anyone to tell. So I am glad I have LBT. Thanks.:)

I was so excited I told everyone that even appeared to be interested. I started a "lapband revolution" in my office. there are now 5 of us who have either gottenthe lapband or will have it in a few more weeks. I love my lapband and love to tell everyone how wonderful it is. I even had a conversation with the lady in line behind me a tWalmart about it, OK maybe I just like to talk but still it is really a wonderful thing!!!

Well my parents definitely know (my dad is paying for it) and I told close friends. I only had one friend who I thought reacted oddly to me telling her, but she always plays on the side of caution so I can't be surprised she wasn't immediately thrilled like the rest of my friends. I've mentioned this in other threads...my immediate supervisor at work knows, but only because I accidently cc: her on an email about it to my friends. :lol:

I figure I will tell others when or if I feel like it. I work with some self-centered, jealous women and I do not plan on telling any of them. They epitomize every stereotype out there about bitchy women. :biggrin:

I've told VERY few people. My real plan was to just tell my husband and a few close friends. Then I mentioned to my closest friend that I was considering it and she gave me the top 175 reasons why this was a bad idea. I decided that I wasn't telling anyone else. I did end up telling one other friend because she was keeping my kids the day of the surgery. I called my parents on the way home from the surgicenter and told them.

That was SUPPOSED to be IT.

Then I found out my husband had told his mom (and thus, the rest of his family) and that he had also told some friends. I've been REALLY mad about that, it wasn't his to tell, KWIM?

HI, I have told my husband and this complete stranger at work, lol. It was just on my mind a lot lately and we were in the breakroom and I knew he was a nurse so I just spilled the Beans. He made me feel a lot better and I'm really glad I told him (for some strange reason). I can't even tell my Best freind that I have known for over 20 years. She lives in CA now so I don't see her much, but after the surgery I am sure I will tell her. I guess I feel like I am betraying her because we have the same eating issues and we are the only ones we talk to about it too. We talk all the time about what we eat and how good it was, etc.....Maybe by doing this I will help her and motivate her to start eating right.