Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't over shop before surgery!

Unless you have money to throw away.

First I want to say that I am extremely thankful for this forum. I found this site a couple months prior to surgery and I learned so much and went into surgery with my eyes open. My surgeon even commented that it appeared I had done my homework.

But when I first found this site I went gung ho. Found the pre-op shopping list and got pretty much everything on it.

Here's a list of the things I have that I would not have gotten if I had it to do over again because I didn't need them:

• Two ice packs.
  • Two different kinds of gas-x (the nurse told me gas-x does not help eliminate the gas that you get following surgery that is caused by the surgeon blowing air into you).
  • I could have lived without the heating pad.
  • Two boxes of ex-lax.
  • 12 lbs of Protein Powder in 3 flavors (quit laughing)!

What I have used:

• liquid Tylenol
  • Maybe a pound or so of the Protein Powder
  • SF & FF pudding
  • Special K Protein Water (lots of this)
  • I have used the heating pad, but have not found it nearly as wonderful as others have indicated.
  • Magic Bullet blender/mixer (love it)

I am not saying that you and I would have the same lists, but I will say that after the first day I felt well enough to go shopping and I wish I had left things like the ex-lax, the second box of gas-x, the ice packs at Walmart and waited until after surgery to see if those things were really needed. I also wish that I did not have more then 10 lbs of protein powder in 3 giant containers taking up space on my kitchen counter!!!

That's my tip for the day.

Pre-op I bought 24 cans of low sodium chicken broth, 12 of beef and 12 of veggie. Trust me you won't need that many, and you'll get sick of it really fast. I have broth out of the wazzooo.

I had actually looked at that list. But opted not to get anything until I needed it. Also, my parents who helped me financially I knew I could depend on to get anything if I needed it. Which is why I made that decision. However, turned out I didn't need the ice packs or heating pad or any of that stuff. I didn't even use the pain killers I was given when I was sent home. All I had in hospital was some liquid panadol. Hmmm.

I purchased:

Gas X strips - not used

Liquid tylenol - used but ICK!

Heating pad - not used (daughter used for a sore hip though, so good to have)

Protein powder - not used

Truthfully, I would have been fine without any special purchases. I did make sure to have various liquids to drink after surgery, Soups and such and that was about all I needed.

You make an excellent point. I'm sure someone needed everything on that list but everyone won't need everything!

I found the heating pad helpful for my shoulder pain but I already had one. I don't know that I would have gone and bought one just for this. Cold and heat can be helpful but if you don't want to buy something special, just wet a few washcloths, then freeze in plastic bags for cold packs or microwave (with the bag open -- be careful!) for hot packs. They also sell cloth packs filled with something like rice (or you can make your own) that can be frozen or heated in the microwave. I got mine at the drugstore a few years ago.

I bought way too much broth, Protein powder and egg white powder. I'm hoping when work starts again Monday to use it up because that's all I'll bring to work. It turns out, I preferred Low-Carb Slimfast. It is usually recommended that you find a Protein source that you like (I would say, LOVE) before surgery. I got caught up in thinking I'd need a "special" Protein Powder. I'll use it up eventually but I wish I had just stuck to Slimfast (which I really do LOVE! :D)

I bought too much SF Jell-O and pudding thinking I would make it with the protein powder. But I didn't really like how the powder mixed with the Jell-O, though it's okay with the pudding. I just find I like the prepared pudding cups better. But that's something else I can still do -- mix the unflavored protein powder with the prepared pudding.

I'm not much of a popcycle eater but I did enjoy the SF popcycles in the first few days after surgery. Again, I bought too many and will probably end up throwing the rest away. :(

Someone posted that we MUST have large bandages for our incisions. Not true -- didn't use the ones I bought but I'm prepared for the next skinned knee. ;) I didn't need (or buy) tongs for bathroom hygiene either. :frown:

I agree that the Gas-X doesn't help with the gas that is pumped into us but I did have some gas inside my digestive system and I thought it helped with that.

I definitely needed and used the pain killers that the doctor prescribed and that we bought at the store and they were relatively cheap. We also live 20 minutes from the nearest 24-hour grocery store. If it was a quick trip for my husband to the store, it would be one thing but the anesthesiologist told me to "stay ahead of the pain" and I did! The pain killers don't go bad that quickly so can come in handy later, especially at my age. ;)

I'm glad I brought the small pillow to the hospital. I used it while waiting for surgery and on the trip home in the car. It just felt good to hold it over my stomach. I also wore slip-on shoes, a leisure bra, and a pullover dress, all of which made it easier and more comfortable to get dressed and come home. That's all I brought to the hospital.

I wouldn't go out and buy a recliner but I was glad that I had one in my bedroom because it was quite comfortable for lounging during the day. I was able to sleep in my bed at night but others have said they slept in their recliners. For those who don't have a recliner, practice ahead of time propping pillows on your bed, couch, or favorite chair to find the right arrangement and combination. You won't want to be struggling with pillows after surgery. I was most comfortable slightly reclined with my feet up, a small, squishy pillow over my belly, and a couple of extra small pillows and an afghan nearby. I had a TV tray next to my chair for my medications, Water, heating pad (already plugged in before I got home,) and TV remote. ;)

Since I knew it was important to get up and walk frequently, I made a point of not stocking up with items next to my chair too much so that I would be forced to get up and get things. For example, I have a dorm-sized frig in another room that I could have moved next to my chair with extra shakes and Water but I purposely kept everything downstairs. In fact, I could have "set up camp" downstairs but chose not to so that I would have to get up more. (I know how lazy I can get, especially when I have an excuse! ;))

I think as folks read these VERY HELPFUL lists, they should consider their own situation, likes, and dislikes and then choose what they need accordingly. BUT, if something comes up, because of these lists, you've already got an idea of how to handle it.

Better to be safe than sorry. I still have Soups and broths also out the wazoo, and six-packs of juices (which I won't drink now because of the calorie content) for the liquid stage, which I never wound up drinking.

Unless you have money to throw away.

First I want to say that I am extremely thankful for this forum. I found this site a couple months prior to surgery and I learned so much and went into surgery with my eyes open. My surgeon even commented that it appeared I had done my homework.

But when I first found this site I went gung ho. Found the pre-op shopping list and got pretty much everything on it.

Here's a list of the things I have that I would not have gotten if I had it to do over again because I didn't need them:

• Two ice packs.
  • Two different kinds of gas-x (the nurse told me gas-x does not help eliminate the gas that you get following surgery that is caused by the surgeon blowing air into you).
  • I could have lived without the heating pad.
  • Two boxes of ex-lax.
  • 12 lbs of Protein powder in 3 flavors (quit laughing)!

What I have used:

• Liquid Tylenol
  • Maybe a pound or so of the Protein powder
  • SF & FF pudding
  • Special K Protein Water (lots of this)
  • I have used the heating pad, but have not found it nearly as wonderful as others have indicated.
  • Magic Bullet blender/mixer (love it)

I am not saying that you and I would have the same lists, but I will say that after the first day I felt well enough to go shopping and I wish I had left things like the ex-lax, the second box of gas-x, the ice packs at Walmart and waited until after surgery to see if those things were really needed. I also wish that I did not have more then 10 lbs of Protein Powder in 3 giant containers taking up space on my kitchen counter!!!

That's my tip for the day.

Hi there,

I found that because I had a great deal of gas pain, the heating pad worked extremely well relieving that pain, as I used it on the front as well.

I found the gas-x didn't work for me.

Re: the protein powder, I have three different types - a sweeter soy vanilla, an unflavored brand, and the beneprotein powder (the expensive one). I use the beneprotein in Soups as it is tasteless, and the sweet one in yogurts. I'm still on liquids so I need that extra boost of protein.

I needed some stool softeners as it took about a week for my bowels to start working again.

Also a little pillow was very helpful as I held it against my tummy/port area to help with the pain while walking (and protecting it when I was in bed with my three and five year olds jumping around! :-) )

Peppermint tea was a GODSEND to me!

It's interesting to see what everybody else uses. I think it depends on how that person recovers from the surgery, their pain levels, etc.

Good thread!

I have used the Gas-X strips and the liquid tylenol... a lot! I also went out and bought an extra-large heating pad and I'm glad that I bought it. I didn't take a pillow with me to surgery and that was a lesson learned!! I've survived the last week on popsicles, juice, broth, and iced tea. I bought way too much juice but my sweetie will take care of that for me.

One thing that was a godsend for me that I haven't seen anyone else mention are Liberator wedges. They are actually kinda sex toys, but they apply to this also. I had bought the two wedge set about a year ago for me and my sweetie and they worked great for my elevation at night. I would sleep on the large wedge at night and then the small wedge for naps. They have a material on them that doesn't make them slide around. I would definately recommend them because you can use them after you recover:rolleyes:. I'm sure they will come in handy for any apprehensive port soreness!!

Boy am I glad to see someone finally make a post about this stuff !!!

I often read the message boards (this and others) before my surgery and wondered if I would need the stuff that people swore they couldn't live without. I bought and stocked very little in the house pre-op, thinking that my hubby could always shop if the need arose. Was I ever glad I didn't go overboard with the shopping !!!!

I had a heating pad at home already and I did use it a bit the first few days....I found that it helped the pain in my shoulder caused by the gas from surgery.

Other than that I sipped some Slim-Fast drinks, had some Soups, puddings, Jello and popsicles. The clinic I went to doesnt advocate using Protein drinks so I never bought (or got stuck with left-over ;)) any Protein mixes. I did fall in love with my Magic Bullet, but any blender would work and I would not go out and buy a 'Bullet' specifically....

I think most people go into this surgery thinking the post-op meal plan is going to be a *huge* change, and it is to some degree...but it's no different than if you went to your reg Dr tomorrow and he told you that you needed to do a liquid diet for a couple of weeks.

My best suggestion would be to keep on top of the pain management, sip as many liquids as you need and be sure to keep well hydrated.

Patricia

11/16/06

306/204/175 I think !!!!

I didn't need the vicodin or the liquid tylonol I bought. I crushed chewable gasX and put them in my applesauce. I think it probably helped. I don't really know. I did walk lots and lots. I am outside of Houston so the weather is warm. I walked three big laps around the pool everytime I got up. I was good a passing gas. I shoulder didn't hurt until 6-7 days post op. I told my husband last night I read about your shoulder hurting and I thought I had passed that up. NOT. Girl be ready...it's coming. I haven't had any shoulder pain today.

I am not offically addicted to sugar free popcycles. I love them. We went to laMadaline today and I had Soup. It was SOOOO good and I was stuffed like I had eaten Thanksgiving dinners at both sets of family on the same day.

I didn't buy the tongs either. If I couldn't wiped my behind it didn't need wiping. When you are fat sometimes it's hard to reach your behind anyway. I did fine wiping thank you. I couldn't understand the bandages people said to buy either. I didn't buy them. I guess all doctors are different but mine put clear steri strips on my incisions and you could hardly tell they were covered. I had that thin fishing line string hanging everywhere from my sites but Dr. Davis cut those on Thursday.

I am a big pain baby and honestly it wasn't too bad. Sore yes, pain no. I haven't figured out what "port pain" means. Anyone reading this that hasn't had surgery I would say do it. I am only a week out and I KNOW without a doubt it was the right decision. I have great insurance BCBS and Atena but they EXCLUDE any weight loss surgery. Of course your employer who buys the insurance plan makes that decision for your policy. Not the insurance company itself.

Sorry I rattled on and on.

Pillows are also good for people with animals that jump up on them unexpectedly. I asked my friend on the way home from the hospital how I was going to keep the cats from jumping up on my belly while I was sleeping and she suggested putting a pillow over my stomach. Excellent suggestion! I have 3 cats so every time I sat down for the first several days after surgery I would put the pillow over my stomach. I figured this saved me a lot of grief... and kept my cats from being thrown across the room (j/k).

Also, some people say don't waste your money on liquid Tylenol. I bought it, and I have used it... it's bright red and called rapid rush I think. It doesn't taste too good... but it works faster then a pill does for pain relief. It's no worse then any other medicated Syrup and I always just have the Water ready after I swallow the med.

One other thing that I got from the list that I didn't use.... Gatorade. But my husband was happy to take care of these for me. I kept myself well hydrated by always having a Special K Protein Water by my side (I bought the powder version to add to water and saved myself some money).

I used broth every day for the first few days--got sick of sweet. But I didn't go overboard when I purchased these.

I also agree that a heating pad is a good investment, so if you don't already have one it's not a bad purchase.... you just may not need it following surgery.

Here! Here!

So many make this procedure out to be as big as a wedding or some other event.

All I needed was sleep. I had to run to the store for a butterfly tape but I think that was about it.

Any way to post this so it stays somewhere close to the thread that includes the pre-op shopping list?

I didnt understand why the Gas-X for surgery gas but my heating pad was a gawd send for helping me with pain.

best thing I did was get my post op pain meds script BEFORE surgery as they had to order it and with a holiday it took three days

The only thing I know I really want is the Magic Bullet. I think it will really come in handy. Plus I think its cool!