Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jacksonville, Florida

Sue, how did you know you were overfilled? What were the symptoms? Just curious. I'm doing better today, I'm back on track with the eating (no carbs) but I had a horrible experience this morning. Hubby made me scrambled eggs for Breakfast, even though I haven't been eating bf for the most part, I took like two bites and it got horribly stuck... so I waited like 25 minutes for it to move and then thought it was safe to take a sip of DC but as soon as I did I start gagging and vomited alot!!! all the egg and alot of slime...very gross...this is the first time I've actually vomited. I've spit up before and had food stick alot, but this was scary cos' my whole body was convulsing and shaking afterwards. Has this happened to anyone before. Very weird that it happened after such a small amount of food. Anyway, I didn't eat for rest of day until dinner and then I tried to eat some very soft ahi-tuna and it all went down really well till the last bite and then it got stuck. I started to gag and thought I would vomit again but after a few deep breaths and walking around it finally moved down and I was able to swallow again. Very strange day and I wasn't sure if maybe it had anything to do with the way I've been eating these past 5 days??? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. KKG

I was wondering, will throwing up food "make" the band slip? I am so paranoid about eating something that my band decides it doesn't like. LOL I guess there is no way to know the band doesn't like it until it tells you so, huh? LOL

I guess I will have to have a little talk with the ole girl once I get her. LOL Cause mommy don't like to get sick.. lol

I have heard some people call their band by name, is this normal? Do people name their band? LOL

I get my band one month from today! I am all giddy today just thinking about it! so, when are we having a meeting? Sorry, I am just all over the place today with my thoughts :0)

I was wondering, will throwing up food "make" the band slip? I am so paranoid about eating something that my band decides it doesn't like. LOL I guess there is no way to know the band doesn't like it until it tells you so, huh? LOL

I guess I will have to have a little talk with the ole girl once I get her. LOL Cause mommy don't like to get sick.. lol

I have heard some people call their band by name, is this normal? Do people name their band? LOL

I get my band one month from today! I am all giddy today just thinking about it! so, when are we having a meeting? Sorry, I am just all over the place today with my thoughts :0)

Katie, I do know that if you throw up repeatedly and do not talk to your doctor about it then yes, your band could slip, my surgeon said it's happened to only 1 of his patients so far. I left him a message today to let him know about my episode yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back what he has to say about it. This is probably the worst part of having the band is just not knowing from day to day what it's going to except and what it's not. Sometimes eggs go down just fine and sometimes they don't other times tuna is easy then the next day it sticks...it can be frustrating but you just have to look at it as a trial and error and if one thing doesn't work out then you go on to the next. Everybody is different cos' if you read alot of the posts on this board you will see the WIDE range of food people are eating...i.e. some people lose weight counting calories, others count carbs (this is what Dr. Cywes' recommends), other don't watch anything and just eat less quantity...so you see it just all depends on what ends up working best for you. I know how you are feeling right now cos' I was there just 3 short months ago and I've already lost 60 lbs...the time is going to fly by so hold on and prepare for the journey you are about to embark on! Hope to get together soon. Be well. KKG

I am mark in jacksonville, lost 70 lbs from surgery in mexico, where do you get your fills????

Mark, not sure if my doctor does fills for Mexico bandsters, but his name is Dr. Cywes' and the number is: 904-399-2480 see if they can help you. Also, look back a few pages in this thread cos' I think someone already asked this question and someone else recommended their doctor. Good luck and congrats on the weight loss. When was your surgery??? KKG

Katie, I do know that if you throw up repeatedly and do not talk to your doctor about it then yes, your band could slip, my surgeon said it's happened to only 1 of his patients so far. I left him a message today to let him know about my episode yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back what he has to say about it. This is probably the worst part of having the band is just not knowing from day to day what it's going to except and what it's not. Sometimes eggs go down just fine and sometimes they don't other times tuna is easy then the next day it sticks...it can be frustrating but you just have to look at it as a trial and error and if one thing doesn't work out then you go on to the next. Everybody is different cos' if you read alot of the posts on this board you will see the WIDE range of food people are eating...i.e. some people lose weight counting calories, others count carbs (this is what Dr. Cywes' recommends), other don't watch anything and just eat less quantity...so you see it just all depends on what ends up working best for you. I know how you are feeling right now cos' I was there just 3 short months ago and I've already lost 60 lbs...the time is going to fly by so hold on and prepare for the journey you are about to embark on! Hope to get together soon. Be well. KKG

Dr C is my Dr too. And my name is Katie & I am a carb addict! So, I will have to be limited on my carbs for sure! 60 lbs in 3 months?! That is awesome! Congrats!

I can't wait! I am going out to get a bunch of Protein shakes & start getting used to that too.. lol Can anyone make some recommendations? I like the pre mixed adkins shakes but I assume the powders would be better after surgery, due to the small quantites that you drink at a time. right?

Maybe I will name my band Lapina Bandita...LOL:lol:

I think I solicit my friend Cindy for some suggestions, she names everything.. she bought an RV & calls him Campy McCamperton.. LOL her truck is Big Ruby (guess what color it is..LOL) Oh boy, I am slappppp happy today

Mark, not sure if my doctor does fills for Mexico bandsters, but his name is Dr. Cywes' and the number is: 904-399-2480 see if they can help you. Also, look back a few pages in this thread cos' I think someone already asked this question and someone else recommended their doctor. Good luck and congrats on the weight loss. When was your surgery??? KKG

Dr. Cywes does not do fills for Mexico surgery patients.

Dr C is my Dr too. And my name is Katie & I am a carb addict! So, I will have to be limited on my carbs for sure! 60 lbs in 3 months?! That is awesome! Congrats!

I can't wait! I am going out to get a bunch of Protein shakes & start getting used to that too.. lol Can anyone make some recommendations? I like the pre mixed adkins shakes but I assume the powders would be better after surgery, due to the small quantites that you drink at a time. right?

Maybe I will name my band Lapina Bandita...LOL:lol:

I think I solicit my friend Cindy for some suggestions, she names everything.. she bought an RV & calls him Campy McCamperton.. LOL her truck is Big Ruby (guess what color it is..LOL) Oh boy, I am slappppp happy today

I am 6 months out from surgery and still enjoy the Atkins shakes. My hubby doesn't care for them and some people think they smell too mediciney but I think they are the closest thing to a chocolate milkshake I'm willing to do.

Best of luck!

Sue, how did you know you were overfilled? What were the symptoms? Just curious. I'm doing better today, I'm back on track with the eating (no carbs) but I had a horrible experience this morning. Hubby made me scrambled eggs for breakfast, even though I haven't been eating bf for the most part, I took like two bites and it got horribly stuck... so I waited like 25 minutes for it to move and then thought it was safe to take a sip of DC but as soon as I did I start gagging and vomited alot!!! all the egg and alot of slime...very gross...this is the first time I've actually vomited. I've spit up before and had food stick alot, but this was scary cos' my whole body was convulsing and shaking afterwards. Has this happened to anyone before. Very weird that it happened after such a small amount of food. Anyway, I didn't eat for rest of day until dinner and then I tried to eat some very soft ahi-tuna and it all went down really well till the last bite and then it got stuck. I started to gag and thought I would vomit again but after a few deep breaths and walking around it finally moved down and I was able to swallow again. Very strange day and I wasn't sure if maybe it had anything to do with the way I've been eating these past 5 days??? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. KKG

Kelly- much of this journey is going to be trial and error. My hubby has always been a HUGE meat eater and not much for chicken or fish; however, since being banded about the only beef he can eat is ground beef. Steaks just come right back up and then after he vomits he can't even keep Water down for about an hour. I haven't had experiences this severe but I do get the "sliming" where I have to keep spitting after I eat something kind of dry (like chicken) or if I drink too soon after eating.

Believe me, you'll learn which foods you can and can't do.

Sue

Hi all,I'm being banded on April 17th, boy am i getting nervous.My mind is going in so many directions right now.I'm excited too.Worried too,hoping i can handel the mind part of it ,cus i know it's gonna take time to let the food addict go. but i'm ready for a new way of life.just looking to see if others felt the same at one time or another.oh, Dr.C is my doc too.

Sue, how did you know you were overfilled? What were the symptoms? Just curious. I'm doing better today, I'm back on track with the eating (no carbs) but I had a horrible experience this morning. Hubby made me scrambled eggs for Breakfast, even though I haven't been eating bf for the most part, I took like two bites and it got horribly stuck... so I waited like 25 minutes for it to move and then thought it was safe to take a sip of DC but as soon as I did I start gagging and vomited alot!!! all the egg and alot of slime...very gross...this is the first time I've actually vomited. I've spit up before and had food stick alot, but this was scary cos' my whole body was convulsing and shaking afterwards. Has this happened to anyone before. Very weird that it happened after such a small amount of food. Anyway, I didn't eat for rest of day until dinner and then I tried to eat some very soft ahi-tuna and it all went down really well till the last bite and then it got stuck. I started to gag and thought I would vomit again but after a few deep breaths and walking around it finally moved down and I was able to swallow again. Very strange day and I wasn't sure if maybe it had anything to do with the way I've been eating these past 5 days??? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. KKG

Kelly, you are generally considered to be too tight if you cannot get fluids down or if you begin to have reflux. It sounds like you are really tight but probably not too tight as it will loosen up more than likely. After having an episode like you did this morning, it is usually advised to stay on clear fluids for a day to let the stoma rest and let any swelling go down from the irritation that was cause by the food being stuck and the resulting vomiting. Give it a few days, stay on fluids or soft foods and make sure you are taking very very small bites and chewing very well. Every time you have a fill you will have to relearn what you can and can't eat as every fill tightens you to another level that you have to experiment with. You may have been fine with scrambled eggs prior to your fill, but afterward you may not be able to eat them. In addition, most bandsters have a difficult time with breakfast especially after they have had several fills. Drinking something warm sometimes helps to loosen things up prior to eating. Also, if you get something stuck, I have heard that small sips of pineapple juice or dissolvable papaya enzyme tablets help accelerate the digestive process and gets the food to go through faster. I plan on keeping some around "just in case!"

My band's name is Olga! She is a cruel, heartless, musclebound, Russian Amazon woman who will whip me into shape if I don't behave! LOL

I was supposed to run around last week to look for a good place and got busy! I am going to be out tomorrow doing other errands and will scope out some places while I'm out. I promise!!!!!!!!!

Hi all,I'm being banded on April 17th, boy am i getting nervous.My mind is going in so many directions right now.I'm excited too.Worried too,hoping i can handel the mind part of it ,cus i know it's gonna take time to let the food addict go. but i'm ready for a new way of life.just looking to see if others felt the same at one time or another.oh, Dr.C is my doc too.

Hi Tina!

Welcome to the group! Yes, what you are feeling is completely normal. I was also very worried about the food addict in me. It is the reason I have failed so many times before. I was always successful at first, but my love for food inevitably won out. I would be lying if I told you that the band resolved my love affair with food. It doesn't. It DOES help me with quantity, but it's entirely up to me what I feed it. I haven't been a model bandster for the past four days or so and it showed this morning when I stepped on the scale. I was up two pounds! So starting today, I got back on track, logging my food, and making sure I made good choices. It is a matter of really resolving that you want and need to make these changes for yourself. You will inevitably take detours. Weekends are tough, holidays are tougher. But, as long as you get back on track then you will be okay. Write down on a piece of paper or in Word all the reasons why you have decided to have this surgery. List the things you want to accomplish, the behaviors you want to stop, anything and everything that got you to the point you are at today. Keep it so when you are having tough days, you can go back and remember why you did this, and to motivate you to move forward. All the things you list will be so much more rewarding than slipping back into old eating habits. It will become more apparent as you begin to check things off the list that you are able to accomplish.

Best of luck!

Sue, glad to hear you survived the weekend of social events...I know how hard that can be. I didn't fare as well this past week, I had my 17 yo niece visiting from VA and all she did was eat JUNK (aka CARBS) all week in my face and at first I did fine but then we went to the beach and I fell into a carb pit cos' she wanted to eat Italian Bistro, which I felt fine doing cos' I figured I'd just get a salad, but then she ended up ordering garlic bread and the smell did me in....and the rest is history!!! I don't want to get into specifics but I'll just say that now I'm into a bad eating rut and need a helping hand to pull myself out...anyone have some advice I'd appreciate it right about now, thanks. I feel so weak for falling into my bad habits after so many months of doing great!!! This addiction is just so strong. I will say that the Band has kept me from going "full hog" though, and even though I've definitely been putting it to the test these past few days it really does work on keeping you in check for the most part; unfortunately my head finds ways around it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for listening. KKG

Kelly, the answer is in your signature. One step at a time, one day at a time. Yesterday is gone and you can't do anything about it. Today you can get back on the wagon and do what you need to do to get back on track. When I met with Dr. Cywes's nutritionist she told me that we will inevitably take detours in our journey. It is expected. The important thing is that we pick ourselves up, move forward, and from that point on, do what we need to do to get on the right path again. You can do it! Don't let those nasty old carbs get the better of you!

I am 6 months out from surgery and still enjoy the Atkins shakes. My hubby doesn't care for them and some people think they smell too mediciney but I think they are the closest thing to a chocolate milkshake I'm willing to do.

Best of luck!

I love the Atkins Advantage vanilla shakes. I add two packets of Splenda and about a 1/2 a tsp of vanilla extract and it tastes just like a vanilla milkshake! YUM!