Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another LapBand Clinic sprung up in T.O.!

Any reputable surgeon in a reputable clinic such as the TLBC will repair the hernia as part and parcel of putting in the band. They will tell you the medical reasons why they repair it. I just know they do. When I had my consult, it was free but once I fixed a date, I had to pay a substantial down payment for them to maintan the day. Don't blame them as they have to pay all the staff whether or not the surgery goes ahead. If you go to the TLBC website, you can find out a lot of information. Check it out. They even have a little video.

SWLC doesn't charge the consultation fee any longer, they probably just haven't updated their website yet. I know Dr. Cobourn repairs hiatal hernias that he finds in his patients so when you inquire about the band you could tell them you have an existing abdominal hernia and ask if they can do both at once.

Personally, I'd do consultations with the 2 big clinics and if you really want to give CIBO a chance then do them as well as long as the consultation is free as well and you'll know almost instantly which one you want to with. I saw both Yau and Cobourn, both great surgeons, just had a better connection with Cobourn for myself but thought Yau was great as well. I'd not hesitate to tell anyone to go to either since I met both and had great experiences with both. In the long run, I went with the surgeon I felt the most comfortable with but know I would have been in great hands with either of them.

Oh PStevens9;

You are going to LOVE this part. Dr. Yau at TLBC will NOT charge you to fix your hiatus hernia.... he does this on a routine basis with his lap band patients...

Also, call and speak to Kathy or Jill about a consultation.... there is NO fee for that either..

Kathy is the Consult co-ordinator and Jill is the Nutritionist Post-op coordinator... both lovely ladies... Jill can answer questions about what "life" will be like after banding in regards to meal preparation etc. she also plans many Menu seminars and nutritional couseling.. Kathy runs the after care support group which meets monthly (one day time, one night time)

I will be checking out both clinics. I'm not sure where the TBLC clinic is located, but I like the idea of the other one in Mississauga. As I've said, I'm in Hamilton and travelling is a real consideration for me.

Just want to thank everyone for all of the information. I'll let you know what happens.

P

I will be banded in the next couple of weeks at the SWLC in Mississauga. I too did as much research as possible. I found that Dr Colbourn's reputation is second to non. I felt very comfortable at my consultation with him ( no charge). I liked what I heard and saw at the clinic. The location in Mississauga was perfect for me. Just off the QEW and easy to get to. Go to their web site and check it out. You will be impressed.

Good luck in you decision

I will be checking out both clinics. I'm not sure where the TBLC clinic is located, but I like the idea of the other one in Mississauga. As I've said, I'm in Hamilton and travelling is a real consideration for me.

Just want to thank everyone for all of the information. I'll let you know what happens.

P

Morning; TLBC is easy to get to... right on the subway lines.

64 Prince Arther & St. George, one block north of BLOOR and just East of SPADINA... actually you could take the TTC and get off at the Spadina line exit of St. George st. walk less than a block.

Or driving ... there is free parking behind the clinic.

Did I mention that TLBC looks after its clients for LIFE... not just a year of fills or 5 yrs...... it is the life of the bandster.. something else to consider asking about when you go for your consultations.

Actually all the clinics offer service to their patients for life but it's not the life of the bandster, it's the life of the clinic. If any of the clinics were to close due to retirement or anything else, heaven forbid, you can't get your fills from somethng that no longer exist.

Some clinics offer lifetime fills but all clinics offer lifetime support and services. Usually after 5 years, most bandsters don't need fills or defills and if you do, $50 bucks is a small price to pay. Hell it cost me almost $1k just to go for a free fill if I go back to the clinic, so what would another $50 be after 5 years.

To me one year of free fills isn't enough because most won't be at goal in 1 year. Anything around the 4 to 5 year mark is still a decent deal. I'm more concerned with them being available for follow up of any kind not just follow up with fills. I've been banded 26 months today and I've only had a total of 6 fills, 4 my first year, 1 my 2nd year and now 1 in my 3rd year.

SWLC is very easy to find when coming from Hamilton. Take the QEW then exit on Hurontario South heading towards Port Credit and it's only a few blocks down from there smack dab in the residential area of Port Credit. Very close to the GO Station as well if aren't driving. The GO is just down the street from the clinic and it would take maybe 5 mins at most to walk up there.

Since consultations are free, I'd go to both clinics and then pick for yourself where you feel most comfortable. I thought both surgeons were great but just felt a better connection with Dr. Cobourn so I went with him but I will never say anything bad about Dr. Yau since he really knew his stuff as well.

No matter which of the 2 you decide to go with, you will be in wonderful hands.

The Surgical Weight Loss Centre offers lifetime aftercare and five years for fills. As fousilly pointed out after five years being charged roughly $50 for a fill is nothing since once you are at goal you hardly ever need fills. I care more about the surgeon and aftercare that is provided. I also like the SWLC as it is near the QEW and I don't have to go downtown Toronto in all that traffic.

I'm waiting for the information from them. I like the idea of the location as well, since travelling is a big concern for me.

Good luck on your surgery. I'll be anxious to hear how you're doing.

Hi I am looking into getting the Lap Band done, and wanted to know peoples opions about the following 2 clinics, as I am not sure which one to use.

TLBC (Toronto) vs.SWLC (Mississauga)

Hi Sno,

I am a patient of the SWLC and have been banded almost 2 years and am below goal. Both clinics are great but of course I am partial to mine and living in Brampton the clinic is very handy to me. Where abouts do you live? Also the SWLC has a lot of trained doctors and nurses across country that are set up to do your fills which is also a big bonus. You may want to consider free consultations with both clinics in person if you are close or phone consultations if not.

Hi all,

I was recently banded at the TLBC on Dec 6, 2007. I am surprised at bandsters who met with the surgeon before they made their decision. I was told Dr. Yau did not meet with patients before surgery and only after insisting on having some of my medical related questions answered did I get a telephone meeting with him. Although the staff is great I found they just poo poo'd my questions and concerns (eg. slipage and erosion, and surgical complications requiring conversion to open surgery) and told me it never happended to their patients.

When I spoke with Dr. Yau he had reviewed my chart and did answer any questions I had.

I was not unhappy with my decision and I am convinced Dr. Yau is an excellent surgeon and would not hesitate to recommend him.

Did other patients banded by Dr. Yau actually meet with him in person first?

Hi all,

I was recently banded at the TLBC on Dec 6, 2007. I am surprised at bandsters who met with the surgeon before they made their decision. I was told Dr. Yau did not meet with patients before surgery and only after insisting on having some of my medical related questions answered did I get a telephone meeting with him. Although the staff is great I found they just poo poo'd my questions and concerns (eg. slipage and erosion, and surgical complications requiring conversion to open surgery) and told me it never happended to their patients.

When I spoke with Dr. Yau he had reviewed my chart and did answer any questions I had.

I was not unhappy with my decision and I am convinced Dr. Yau is an excellent surgeon and would not hesitate to recommend him.

Did other patients banded by Dr. Yau actually meet with him in person first?

No, I did not speak to him except for the day of surgery - he came into the change room and we discussed any issues and he really re-assured me and my Husband. This was impressive as up until this point my DH was very skeptical of this lapband thing... but after meeting the surg. he was impressed too.

Now, I AM one person who has had complications... my band is leaking... I go for another Flouro fill Monday in Toronto. Dr. Yau will check the Fluid level in my band (this is the 2nd ck) he'll refill it... and then we'll book a re-surgery date from there...

I just want to get on with this w/Loss journey..... I am tired of waiting ...

but, they are looking after me.. so I can't complain..;)

No, I never have met with Dr. Yau and as a matter of fact I haven't met with any surgeon nor has my husband in any of our operations. Have met them after the fact but their instructions are short and crisp, then on to the next bloke. It has been the family GP that has answered questions. To me, surgeons are fabulous at what they do but most have the PR skills of a do do bird. Doddie

That's why I love Dr. Cobourn, he is an excellent surgeon and unlike most of my past surgeons (I have had 9 other surgeries over the years) he has an excellent personality and takes the time to answer all your concerns and is not arrogant. I also remember meeting Dr. Yau at the Bandster Bash last May and was impressed when he spoke during the roundtable doctor chats. He is an eloquent speaker for sure!