Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I am 53 and banded in January. After close to 3 months, I've lost a total of 25 pounds. Not much is it? The only times I have seen the scale move down is like RIGHT AFTER a fill. For the first couple of weeks I cannot get much down and, of course, the scale moves. After the two weeks is up, the scale doesn't go back up, but I don't lose either. Luckily I don't have a huge amount to lose but I am wondering is anyone else has this problem and if it is due to my age.

Cindy

I don't notice the scale moving any better after a fill but it did take me 13 fills the first year to get to restriction so that would make a difference. I do think our age has a lot to do with it but I think, too, it's previous continual dieting and other factors like an adequate fill level and stress in our lives and other emotional factors. And it may not be because we eat more in those times but just that our body holds on to the fat for protection. That's my theory, anyway. There may be lots of opinions on the "slow losers" thread but I'm determined to NOT become a member of that group. Although I've only lost a little over 40 lbs. in the year since I've been banded, I am happy to remember that I will never gain it back and I'm now halfway to goal--so I'm thrilled with the results I have had. Sure, I wish I was at goal or close like so many people who were banded with me or even banded after I was, but we each plug along and take what we can get. Good luck!

Lower BMIers are going to lose a little slower than people who have more to lose.

But 8.33 a month is your average Playfull and that's not bad or slow truly.

It's all about calories in vs calories out - Are you exercising?? For me that has been key to my weight loss combined with the fact that I now eat very healthy and a lot less than I use to..

Keep up the work - it will come off..

I'm glad we are talking about fills. I was banded March 19 and I don't have another appointment until May 26. The surgeon is not necessarily planning on filling in the near future. But in his book, Dr Ortiz recommends the first fill be in 6-8 weeks. He also says most of his patients only need 3 fills in a year. He uses a fluoroscope to help him assess the fill need. I’m confused about why so many MDs are doing fills so slowly. I am doing well with weight loss but I’m doing it the old-fashion way ---through real hunger---and by keeping carbs, calories very low and portions very small. Can someone clue me in? I'm afriad I'll fall off the wagon this way. That's what used to happen before.

Is there some type of advantage to NOT getting fills?

Sharon: I haven't been banded yet. I was suppose to have my surgery last Friday, but it got cancelled at the last minute. But from everything I've read says to eat adequate protien. Are you getting 60-80 gms of protien/day? Godd luck and I'm gonna pray that the Lord will take your hunger away.

Susan

I'm glad we are talking about fills. I was banded March 19 and I don't have another appointment until May 26. The surgeon is not necessarily planning on filling in the near future. But in his book, Dr Ortiz recommends the first fill be in 6-8 weeks. He also says most of his patients only need 3 fills in a year. He uses a fluoroscope to help him assess the fill need. I’m confused about why so many MDs are doing fills so slowly. I am doing well with weight loss but I’m doing it the old-fashion way ---through real hunger---and by keeping carbs, calories very low and portions very small. Can someone clue me in? I'm afriad I'll fall off the wagon this way. That's what used to happen before.

Is there some type of advantage to NOT getting fills?

My surgery was July 20, first fill was about 8 weeks later. I had one in Sept, two in Oct and then not another until today because we were in CA for the winter.

Each doctor does things a little differently, but I don't see any advantage to NOT getting fills!

Yes, we have to do our part,

but we need that restriction, too.

Sharon

You are in bandster hell - we all have been there. What food stage are you on?? You just gotta find something low fat - sugar free - low calorie to eat when you have super hungry - LF string cheese 50 c 6 grms pt

Distractions always help too - I get on LBT - go wash my face - do a crossword puzzle - play with the dogs - anything to take my mind off of the food - 99% of the time it is headhunger not real hunger - I am a big one who ate out of boredom...

Interesting you mentioned eating our of boredom!

We are at DD's so she can go grocery shopping without the kids. Almost 5 yr old was whining that he was hungry.

Mom told him, no way you can be hungry...

you had 9 fishsticks and some tater tots for lunch.

So she continued to dialogue with him about his "hunger"

and his answer.... "I'm bored"!

So she had an opportunity to teach him... and she did....

we don't eat just because we're bored.

That's not hunger... you're bored,

so you need to find something to do.

So he's playing in the backyard with his sister

and little brother now.

Hope he doesn't get bored again soon because now it's on our shoulders & my DH is snoring loudly on the couch

and I can't entertain three little ones by myself!

Their old swing set has been taken down to make room for a new one to be delivered and constructed some time soon.

Hello, I was glad to find the over 50 threads, it seems all others are VERY Young, I am new to all this, was banded On March 13, 2008. and am still without a fill, eating pureed and pretty much anything I can chew up small. Have had no problems yet but no great weight loss either.

Welcome... you'll do great. Hang in there!

We are at DD's so she can go grocery shopping without the kids. Almost 5 yr old was whining that he was hungry.

Mom told him, no way you can be hungry...

you had 9 fishsticks and some tater tots for lunch.

So she continued to dialogue with him about his "hunger"

and his answer.... "I'm bored"!

So she had an opportunity to teach him... and she did....

we don't eat just because we're bored.

That's not hunger... you're bored,

so you need to find something to do.

My 4-year-old grandson was talking with his mother yesterday about the same subject. She told him it's important to listen to your body and to not eat more than your body says. He said, "Well, if your body wants you to have a robot arm you shouldn't just cut off your arm and put on a robot arm because your body says so." Oh my. Here's to robot arms! K.

My 4-year-old grandson was talking with his mother yesterday about the same subject. She told him it's important to listen to your body and to not eat more than your body says. He said, "Well, if your body wants you to have a robot arm you shouldn't just cut off your arm and put on a robot arm because your body says so." Oh my. Here's to robot arms! K.

That's cute....

ROBOT ARM!!

Maybe we could be more in control if we had a

ROBOT STOMACH!!

I am 53 and banded in January. After close to 3 months, I've lost a total of 25 pounds. Not much is it? The only times I have seen the scale move down is like RIGHT AFTER a fill. For the first couple of weeks I cannot get much down and, of course, the scale moves. After the two weeks is up, the scale doesn't go back up, but I don't lose either. Luckily I don't have a huge amount to lose but I am wondering is anyone else has this problem and if it is due to my age.

Cindy

Have you read the thread How the band works, fills and unfills?

As you lose weight, you lose fat around your stomach and the band becomes looser. That's why it feels tighter the first couple of weeks. It won't be until you get closer to goal that you won't need to keep going in for fills regularly.

Are you really psychic? I love psychics and I am always looking for one!

Feel free to send me a private message. It sounds like your weight loss is going to go along the way mine did. I had long plateaus and then all of a sudden I would drop a bunch. I do think age plays a part in this.

Have you read the thread How the band works, fills and unfills?

As you lose weight, you lose fat around your stomach and the band becomes looser. That's why it feels tighter the first couple of weeks. It won't be until you get closer to goal that you won't need to keep going in for fills regularly.

Are you really psychic? I love psychics and I am always looking for one!

Feel free to send me a private message. It sounds like your weight loss is going to go along the way mine did. I had long plateaus and then all of a sudden I would drop a bunch. I do think age plays a part in this.

No I haven't read that thread, but I will now. I didn't realize you lose it around your stomach first. My legs, arms and face are noticeably smaller, but my stomach is still fat.....not AS fat, but nowhere near flat.

Am I really psychic? Well, some would say if I were, I wouldn't need to ask these questions! LOL! But, the answer is yes, but not like Melinda on Ghost Whisperer or John Edward. I dream things that happen and know who will be on the phone when it rings, who is lying and who isn't, that sort of thing. It's helpful. I use it as a tool. Saves me on caller ID! LOL!:thumbup:

Lower BMIers are going to lose a little slower than people who have more to lose.

But 8.33 a month is your average Playfull and that's not bad or slow truly.

It's all about calories in vs calories out - Are you exercising?? For me that has been key to my weight loss combined with the fact that I now eat very healthy and a lot less than I use to..

Keep up the work - it will come off..

I guess I am just eager to get on with it!

Exercise is my biggest problem. I hate doing it. Plus, I don't have any time to myself as it is, maybe an hour a day, and if I use it to exercise my toenails don't get polished, my face doesn't gets it's daily moisturing mask, and I don't get to watch any TV. Yes I know that is just an excuse. To hear my doctor tell it, I am lazy. I work two jobs PLUS I have a 6-year-old adopted daughter. :thumbup: That is exercise enough for me! It isn't as though I don't want to do it, but I've come to accept that I am probably never going to with the exception of walking 30 minutes at lunch. So, if I don't lose fast enough, exercise IS probably the problem.

I just called Cigna, my paperwork (100 pages) faxed on the 10th, received by them on the 12th, and the rep said it is pending already! :biggrin2: She said that is very quick, that she was surprised that it was moving so quickly! Yea!!!!:thumbup: Wish me luck! :thumbup:

I guess I am just eager to get on with it!

Exercise is my biggest problem. I hate doing it. Plus, I don't have any time to myself as it is, maybe an hour a day, and if I use it to exercise my toenails don't get polished, my face doesn't gets it's daily moisturing mask, and I don't get to watch any TV. Yes I know that is just an excuse. To hear my doctor tell it, I am lazy. I work two jobs PLUS I have a 6-year-old adopted daughter. :thumbup: That is exercise enough for me! It isn't as though I don't want to do it, but I've come to accept that I am probably never going to with the exception of walking 30 minutes at lunch. So, if I don't lose fast enough, exercise IS probably the problem.

Playful - I was a total slug bug - couch potato - HATED exercise of any kind (I think alot of us in our age bracket didn't have PE until like 7th or 8 th grade - plus those ugly gym suits - these are the reasons I give for not wanting to exercise)

But you do have to carve out sometime for excercise - you really do - get up 1/2 hr earlier - walk in place as you are watching tv - get some hand weights and use them as you watch t.v. too - I know you don't paint your nails EVERY night - or the mask - get your daughter involved - go for walks on the weekends - you can fit it it - you just have to start.. Once you do - you won't hate it as much - I can't say I am a gym rat by any means - but I do now go 3-4 days a week sometimes 5 - and if I don't go i sort of miss it - but I still have fights with myself to make me go...

Denise

Any news on the Grandson making his entrance ??

Yes! My daughter is in labor. Today is her official due date. We will be going to the hospital soon. Please say prayers that she has an easy delivery! I am in tears just thinking about it!

Yes! My daughter is in labor. Today is her official due date. We will be going to the hospital soon. Please say prayers that she has an easy delivery! I am in tears just thinking about it!

Oh Denise

Of course you all are in the my prayers right this very second....

Good Luck - hope your daughter has an easy delivery...

Let us know the details when you can ..

HUGS HUGS HUGS

XOXOX

Janet