Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Little Bit - Well good luck to ya. This is a good group, isn't it? I'm glad I found this place too. Where did you find some good recipes?

If you ever just want to talk, feel free to email me.

Hi Carol and welcome. I was banded on June 6 and have lost 38 lbs thus far. 16 lbs and I'll be in onederland which I haven't seen in a long time. This band has been the best thing in the world. I feel normal for the first time in my whole life. I have control over what I eat, when I eat and what I eat. I can actually sit with people who are eating and not need or want to eat, it just isn't interesting to me with the band. I thank God everyday he lead me in this direction.

Lori: I am so happy for you. I broke down the other day and bought new dress pants. I was in a 22 and I bought 18's. Now, I will be thrilled when I go below the 18 as I don't think I've be below an 18 for probably 30 years.

Chick3 (Carol)

I have to echo the others --it was really good to hear from you! I started out very close to you weight wise, and in a matter of 9 months (since starting the pre-op diet) and 5 months since banding, my life has already changed so much. All the choices I made in my life that were clouded by being morbidly obese -- how it impacted my life. It's really sad that I let so much fun pass me by for so many years! It's so amazing how just a few pounds lost can make us feel SO much better - physically and emotionally.

I had my ears pierced when I was 16. Having nickel allergies, I had some inflammation/infections from time to time. Maybe about 10 years ago, I took my earrings out and didn't put them back in for a long time...only to find they had grown shut. :-( All these years since, I didn't really care, because frankly, my earlobes were fat, and since I was so fat I didn't think it really made any difference anyway (bad self image). Well, I got them re-pierced last week! After all these years. And the best part of all...the lady said "oh, you have nice thin earlobes!" HuH? Me? It's so nice to have interest in looking 'pretty' again - even at my age! But I feel 20 years younger. Before I began to loose weight, I thought of myself as 'retirement age" - old, setting up for retirement, resigning myself to never achieve my childhood dreams. Little by little, I am realizing that I still am (fairly) YOUNG and there is no need to give up on fun parts of life yet! My kids are growing up and out of the house in about a year...and now I have time to spend on what I want to do!

Yeah, this is the greatest thing I've ever done just for ME!

Lizalee, I love the ear piercing story. I've thought of getting a 2nd hole as I love it when folks wear a little hoop in one and a diamond stud in the other, But then, wait, I would need diamond studs!!! LOL

Thanks for the kudos on my shopping trip. I can see already that it is going to take great restraint not to buy everything that fits now, because in all reality I am not quite half way to my goal so these clothes won't be fitting a long time, it would be silly to spend a fortune (especially at Ann Taylor full price) on things that won't last long.

Oh and at the Biggest Loser weigh in I was down 1.5, not sure how as my scale shows nothing.

Well I am off to my bariatric exercise class, wonder what he'll have for us tonight. I have a very sore toe and it could be broken the way it feels and how bruised it's getting. I stubbed my baby toe going around the wall to get into the shower this morning. Another ah..ha, moment, I am closer to the walls now. LOL

Hi, gang.

I read posts, but don't post much myself. But I wanted to share a NSV!

My hubby and I just returned from a week long vacation to Colorado. We flew and I was anxious to see if I could fit in the seat and seat belt. Some of you may have experienced the embarrassment of the seat belt not fastening and having to summon the flight attendant and ask for an extender. I hated to fly for that reason, plus I would always have to lift the arm rest so that I could spread out into the seat of the passenger next to me. Well, my NSV is that I didn't have to lift the arm rest and was able to buckle the seat belt and even pull it in an inch or so. Also, the tray table came down without resting at an angle on my stomach. My hubby is large too, so we never sit next to each other, we gamble on having a smaller person next to us. So I had to jump up and go tell him about my NSV and of course explain what a non-scale victory means. He was happy for me. I had lost 58 pounds when we left for vacation and only gained a half pound or so which is good for not being able to eat at regular times and always having to eat out! :tt1:

12_4_60.gifhey freedom

here are some sites i have gone to for recipes:

calorieking.com

realizeband.com

kraftfoods.com

obesityhelp.com

tasteofhome.com

safeway.com

sparkpeople.com

fit365bariatric.com/recipes

i just went in on google and other searches and typed in receipes for bariatric diets,low carb diets,and high Protein diets. i came up with a lot of searches. haven't viewed them all. some of the sites want you to join but i didn't. i just clicked on recipes.

hope you find some you like.

36_22_20.gif

you can also go on other forums. a lot of people post receipes there too.

sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZSYYYYYYYYUS

Edited by Little Bit

hey lapbandnana

i know what you felt like about the belt on the air plane. i had to ask for an extension once and i was so embarrassed. 4_18_5.gif

i felt like everyone was looking at me. i wanted to just hide my face.

sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZSYYYYYYYYUS

Hi, gang.

I read posts, but don't post much myself. But I wanted to share a NSV!

My hubby and I just returned from a week long vacation to Colorado. We flew and I was anxious to see if I could fit in the seat and seat belt. Some of you may have experienced the embarrassment of the seat belt not fastening and having to summon the flight attendant and ask for an extender. I hated to fly for that reason, plus I would always have to lift the arm rest so that I could spread out into the seat of the passenger next to me. Well, my NSV is that I didn't have to lift the arm rest and was able to buckle the seat belt and even pull it in an inch or so. Also, the tray table came down without resting at an angle on my stomach. My hubby is large too, so we never sit next to each other, we gamble on having a smaller person next to us. So I had to jump up and go tell him about my NSV and of course explain what a non-scale victory means. He was happy for me. I had lost 58 pounds when we left for vacation and only gained a half pound or so which is good for not being able to eat at regular times and always having to eat out! :tt1:

Hey! Congrats! I too fear that seatbelt thing..,I wonder if I would fit now? How cool for you!!!

Congrats Lapbandana!! The seat belt issue is huge. I have my own extender so I never have to ask again. Next time I fly I am hoping to leave it behind on the airplane. I am supposed to go in a week or so to Las Vegas. He has to go for a day for business and no way is he going without me. We used to live there.

What did you see and do in our beautiful state???

Lizalee, you hit it on the head about missing out on alot of fun. I too, was always a fun and outgoing person who was small. I had a daughter age10, then ten years later I had another daughter and 14 months later, I had a son and daughter (twins). Quit my job to stay home with children and the rest is history. I gained weight and gained and gained. I never really thought that my life was clouded because of weight issue. I thought I was just depressed from being a career person to a stay at home mom. In reading everyone elses stories I now realize that my weight had alot to do with decisions I made and places I went. I think I wanted to hide all the time. I still have a long way to go yet but I feel better now that I know what will be at the end of the tunnel. I also felt like I was going into retirement mode at this age, only one kid left at home, etc. and it was too late for me. Well guess what! Its not too late for any of us at this age. I want to have a Tummy Tuck at the end and I think, what does a lady my age want that for? I want to go out with a bang!:rolleyes: I want that flat stomach ya know. I think we all have the same similar feelings don't we. Is this midlife?????:tt2:

Beckyo:tt1:

I am so happy for all of you! I remember when people asked what my goal weight was and I said the only goal I have is not to shop in plus sizes anymore. It's so much fun trying on clothes that you think might fit and end up having them be too big instead of too small.

I had a very stressful day today and somebody brought chocolate truffles to work today. I am afraid I had more than my share. I will not get on the scale for a couple of days. I am glad tomorrow is gym day.

Congratulations to everyone - lots of positive energy and good NSV's!

I note though that several of you refer to going into retirement in a negative way. For me, I am SO looking forward to retirement, and even more so as my health and body image and body improve!! I'm thinking retirement is going to be a blast without the hassles/inconveniences of work...come on retirement!!!!

Lizalee, you hit it on the head about missing out on alot of fun. I too, was always a fun and outgoing person who was small. I had a daughter age10, then ten years later I had another daughter and 14 months later, I had a son and daughter (twins). Quit my job to stay home with children and the rest is history. I gained weight and gained and gained. I never really thought that my life was clouded because of weight issue. I thought I was just depressed from being a career person to a stay at home mom. In reading everyone elses stories I now realize that my weight had alot to do with decisions I made and places I went. I think I wanted to hide all the time. I still have a long way to go yet but I feel better now that I know what will be at the end of the tunnel. I also felt like I was going into retirement mode at this age, only one kid left at home, etc. and it was too late for me. Well guess what! Its not too late for any of us at this age. I want to have a Tummy Tuck at the end and I think, what does a lady my age want that for? I want to go out with a bang!:rolleyes: I want that flat stomach ya know. I think we all have the same similar feelings don't we. Is this midlife?????:tt2:

Beckyo:tt1:

OH BOCHS! I'm with you!! After my entire adult life having to carry around this disgusting apron of skin and fat, I will be hanging for a tummy tuck as well also at the age of 54. Just to feel and look normal for some part of my life will make me feel FAN-BLOOMING-TASTIC! After a lifetime of being a good mum and hardworking wife and grandma its MY treat to myself!

Deb

I was banded on 8/25 - spent about 1 1/2 weeks on Clear Liquids then on to "soft" foods for a few days and now eating pretty much what I want. My first check up is Thursday with my surgeron. I believe he told me that my firsts fill won't happen for six weeks post op - my problem is that I am awfully hungary! I am having a hard time getting in all of the Protein even though I have gotten some of the Atkins Protein Drink and so far this one tastes the best. I have lost about 15 pounds but got on the scale today and up 2 - guess that is to be expected even though it didn't make me happy. During this phase before the first fill did everyone experience hunger? Should I be losing weight at a regular rate or is this just a time to settle in and heal? I feel so good - the surgery was a piece of cake actually - the drugs provided in the hospital were enough to keep me comfortable and the healing at home was easy - I returned to work two weeks later and could have come back in a week.

Please tell me this hunger will disappear once I get a fill? Or at least diminish somewhat I really don't want to go through losing all this weight and being this hungry. I have been walking on the treadmill for about 40 minutes each day - Mon-Fri. For now I think that's all I want to do not sure about any other exercise until I see the doctor.

For those waiting to be banded - don't worry you will be fine. I am the biggest baby and I sailed right through. For some reason I had no worries about this at all - it took me 7 months to the day to get this whole procedure down so that surgery could take place. Have faith. It's this part that I am so unsure of don't want to do anything wrong and mess up all the hard work so far.

Sandi