Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Good morning. I survived my first day of solids!! No problems. DH took me to Red Lobster for crablegs. We almost didn't go because I went into the chat room yesterday afternoon and someone said that wasn't a good choice, 'how brave I was', because they were rubbery. Yet at my support group I go to they had said how great a choice it was so I went. I did great. DH ordered his dinner and then got the add on of 1/2 lb crab legs and that's what I had. It was a perfect portion, I read online that 8 oz of snow crab yields about 4 oz of meat. I was satisfied, but not stuffed and enjoyed the evening out.

I was also rewarded on the scale this morning with a pound loss! Finally the first loss in 2 weeks. I don't know if my body thinks it's starving and holding on as long as it can or what, because on mushies I was only averaging about 500 calories a day. But then again if this is really true, how does anyone ever starve to death, the body has to give it up eventuallly I would think. I've started walking and today I am going to go back to the clubhouse/gym in my neighborhood and ride the stationary bike. Still can't lift weights or go in a pool until I'm 6 weeks post op.

Editing to add: just updated my ticker, I am .1 away from being out of the morbidly obese category and just obese!!!

Long Congrats on moving out of the morbidly obese catergory - Us morbidly obese pple get what it is to move to "Just Obese" as being a great thing - You need to up your calories - 500 is not enough - I can't explain the science - but your body does hold on to the fat for days that you don't get food (think cavement who didn't eat 24/7 like we do today)

not sure if I will ask for my fill on 7/10. I am still having issues with a few types of foods. Today for lunch, I had cod , baked potatoe and cauliflower. the cod did not want to go down , but the other 2 items were fine. MAybe I am one of the lucky ones that can go on with only one fill. It is nice to know that there is alwaysroom to tighten up in the future. :frown:

Also, I went to my PCP on tuesday, she thinks I may have a hernia. nothing like the one that was repaired during my LB surgery. This is about waist high on my right side. Have to go for a CAT scan next week to find out :lol:

You may not need a fill - my doc doesn't give them if you are losing well..

Keep up posted on your cat scan.

:confused2:Hi, I'm new, haven't had my surgery yet, have been reading your forum, I'm a little scared, I'm 66, and my daughter talk me into doing it with her, your input has helped me a lot, thanks. Pliney66

Welcome - JD - We have ton's of 60 + who are banded - you will do well.

Hey Phyl, Glad to here Janet made it okay. Thanks for the update. Well I went to TGIF tonight and ordered a brocolli cheese Soup and I only ate half. That was great. Hope everyone is doing okay. I quit getting on the scale so I don't know if I lost today or not. Trying to weigh only once a week but it is hard. I don't go for my post op until July 3 so we will see. Beckyo

Beckyo - Glad you are doing good - Yep put the scale away - I am not getting on til next week - I didn't do bad - had 3 glasses of wine but that was pretty much it - well except that I hit the reese pieces candies in my room on friday :eek: - This is why I practice avoidance - I was tired after traveling - meet & greet and that's a bad thing for me - the room is stocked with crap - and I ate them - but only on friday - no more after that - and have been good about eating all other meals - so don't feel to bad - just a little dissappointed - but I am human and even skinny pple eat candy every now an then and that was my every now and then.

Hi Everyone, Well I made a second trip to Boise in two days. My band was too tight so they had to take some saline out. I feel alot better since then. I can drink Water before I could not ever drink that without throwing up. I was with my second fill. Haven't had any liquids besides coffee and water.

Glad to hear Sharon - being to tight is worse than being too lose

Janet that little Green Dress is too cute... you have done stupendously!!! I am "GREEN" with envy!

Thanks Peaches - I got tons of complements from total strangers - even a man (who was with his wife :)) told me what a pretty dress..

Lizalee: Thank you for the encouragement... I took some Milk of Magnesia and ate an Activia yogurt, and hope that helps. My calorie count (according to Fitday.com) averages about 300 to 500 a day (depending on the kind of soup and whatever else I have that day, so I think that is ok. I do think the water retention may be a problem and also, I hope that the MoM and yogurt do their magic. I will keep on doing what the doctor ordered and in time, I hope the pounds will go, too.

Carol & Sadie: Thank you both for your encouragement. I am hanging in there. 2 pounds down this morning and I hope the rest goes soon (and a whole lot more!).

Everyone: this group helps me so much, I can't thank you all enough for what you give me. I spend hours reading posts, but usually post just to this group, and the knowledge I have acquired is so useful.

Thanks and hugs to you all,

Nancy

Nancy - I think you really need to up your calories 300 is not enought - how are you getting all your Protein in on 300-500 calories???

900 to 1200 and vary them daily and I agree you are eating a lot of high salt foods - get on the scale only once a week - and note NONE OF US EVER UPDATE TICKER WHEN WE HAVE A GAIN :tt2::lol::lol::lol: (I gained a pound when I went to my sisters earlier this month - it took a week + to get it off - but I didn't update my tickers :lol:) to reflect the gain:tongue2:)

Well, I just got back from Dr G. Davis for my pre-op. I confessed to him of having "last supper syndrome". So many of my skinny friends want to take me out before the band. Anyway, it is a go for July 16. :)

By the way, I asked Dr Garth Davis if "Big Medicine" was going to be showing again and he said yes. The re -runs are on Discovery Health and the new show should be next year. I told him that all bandsters on LBT wanted to know.....the fifties group that is.

I have to start the liquid on July 2nd. Yippee!

Charlene, how exciting. Good luck. It's a "piece of cake", oops, sorry. And how lucky you are to have Dr. Garth. I'm so happy the show will be continued. Gotta know what happens w. Alan. Not only did I have a last supper, but I ate so much the month before surgery that I thought I never would look at food again. I did everything wrong, but thank the good Lord everything came out all right. Have lost 70 pounds since Oct, 25 more to goal. No more high cholesterol and no more type II diabetes........don't snore anymore and when I have to make wee wee I'm not having accidents before getting to the john (sorry.) Am having my other hip replaced in Sept but that was a pre existing condition. If my knees hold out I will be Queen of the World.......as we all are who have had successful banding!

Well, I just got back from Dr G. Davis for my pre-op. I confessed to him of having "last supper syndrome". So many of my skinny friends want to take me out before the band. Anyway, it is a go for July 16. :lol:

By the way, I asked Dr Garth Davis if "Big Medicine" was going to be showing again and he said yes. The re -runs are on Discovery Health and the new show should be next year. I told him that all bandsters on LBT wanted to know.....the fifties group that is.

I have to start the liquid on July 2nd. Yippee!

So happy for you Charlene :) Yes most of us had the last meal mentallity :tt2:

I gained 5 lbs between my 1st consultation and my pre op :frown:

Was he impressed that us Lapbanders loved his show??? I know his daughter is banded - and we aren't the only ones - a lot of pple here on the boards watch it...

Charlene, how exciting. Good luck. It's a "piece of cake", oops, sorry. And how lucky you are to have Dr. Garth. I'm so happy the show will be continued. Gotta know what happens w. Alan. Not only did I have a last supper, but I ate so much the month before surgery that I thought I never would look at food again. I did everything wrong, but thank the good Lord everything came out all right. Have lost 70 pounds since Oct, 25 more to goal. No more high cholesterol and no more type II diabetes........don't snore anymore and when I have to make wee wee I'm not having accidents before getting to the john (sorry.) Am having my other hip replaced in Sept but that was a pre existing condition. If my knees hold out I will be Queen of the World.......as we all are who have had successful banding!

Thanks! Actually, He was recommended to me by the colon surgeon before he had a show. He has a super busy practice. He keeps telling me all the things I have heard from all of you veterans.....it is just a tool and I have to work hard to lose. I just want to lose 75lbs by April in time for our Hawaiian cruise. I don't want to have to ask for a seat extender. That was my "ah ha" moment last year when we went to Vegas. Never again. I was so humiliated. :)

So happy for you Charlene :) Yes most of us had the last meal mentallity :lol:

I gained 5 lbs between my 1st consultation and my pre op :frown:

Was he impressed that us Lapbanders loved his show??? I know his daughter is banded - and we aren't the only ones - a lot of pple here on the boards watch it...

He just smiled when I told him about all of you. He said he gets alot of emails from all over the country telling him how it encourages them to get the surgery. Now, he is all about gastric bypass for the super morbid obese or really those over 50bmi, but because I have had so many abdominal sugeries the lap band was the choice for me. He agreed. I am so grateful I found all of you to support me. I had to sign a paper saying I would attend a support group, but it only meets once a month.

Long, Thank you and sometimes TMI is just what is needed. I hated to bring up that (gasp!) topic, but I guess it is a problem on all liquids.

Indio, Thank you. I feel better after reading your words. I did update my ticker, and I gained 4 pounds (I dropped 2 of the 6 I gained). I hope the other 4 and many more, come off soon. I had some SF pudding and will try to up my calories to 800 or 900 (but I worry that might be too high).

Oh, and I love Big Medicine, too and can't wait for it to come back on Discovery Health. I always want everyone on the show to succeed and get healthy -- just like we are all trying to do!

Nancy

I'm glad there are folks on here closer to my age who have been or are continuing to be successful. I could no longer sit in a helicopter cockpit because of a bad hip and stopped to get it replaced. There was a malfunction in the hospital after the surgery that has permanently grounded my flying.

Leading up to the hip replacement, I worked out 2-4 hours a day in a YMCA, six days a week. After the malfunction, I can only walk with a cane, can't sleep full down in a bed, take pain medication every day to survive and gained 65 additional pounds in the year since the hip thing. I've fought the weight dragon my whole life, but lost control the last year. If I can't turn this horse, I'm headed for a stroke and will probably get a job in a carnival.

Now, I'm waiting for the insurance connections and I'm doing alternative certification to teach middle school math in rural Texas. This will be my fourth career, but I have to do a lot of standing to accomplish it. Like several have said, failure is not an option. I bought a high quality eliptic machine that can handle my 360 pounds. Can't walk but hopefully can do that plus lifting.:)

Hi Roustabout! Welcome to the group! You can do this, and as you said, there are many on here who have and are doing it, too. When I started this process, I weighed 327 pounds. I still have a long way to go, but with lots of support and good friends, it can be done. Just follow your doctor's instructions to the letter and keep posting here. You can and will succeed!

Nancy

P.S. I started teaching in my old age, too, and it's one of the best choices I ever made. Good luck in your new career!

I'm glad there are folks on here closer to my age who have been or are continuing to be successful. I could no longer sit in a helicopter cockpit because of a bad hip and stopped to get it replaced. There was a malfunction in the hospital after the surgery that has permanently grounded my flying.

Leading up to the hip replacement, I worked out 2-4 hours a day in a YMCA, six days a week. After the malfunction, I can only walk with a cane, can't sleep full down in a bed, take pain medication every day to survive and gained 65 additional pounds in the year since the hip thing. I've fought the weight dragon my whole life, but lost control the last year. If I can't turn this horse, I'm headed for a stroke and will probably get a job in a carnival.

Now, I'm waiting for the insurance connections and I'm doing alternative certification to teach middle school math in rural Texas. This will be my fourth career, but I have to do a lot of standing to accomplish it. Like several have said, failure is not an option. I bought a high quality eliptic machine that can handle my 360 pounds. Can't walk but hopefully can do that plus lifting.:lol:

Welcome Roustabout! You don't live too far from me. I am on one side of Houston and you are on the other. Are you going to Houston for lap band surgery? You will get alot of good info and encouragement on this site.:lol:

I do love the show and want to see how everyone is doing from this past season. I remember the episode where his daughter could not find anyone in Texas, I think that is where she was, that knew much about the band and she had to come home to NY. I really started ti investigate the procedure after seeing that show.

welcome Roustabout, glad to have new blood. this is a great group and always full of support and will tell it like it is, good or bad.. do not take anything personal, we all want to help and support each other..

I do love the show and want to see how everyone is doing from this past season. I remember the episode where his daughter could not find anyone in Texas, I think that is where she was, that knew much about the band and she had to come home to NY. I really started ti investigate the procedure after seeing that show.

welcome Roustabout, glad to have new blood. this is a great group and always full of support and will tell it like it is, good or bad.. do not take anything personal, we all want to help and support each other..

I told him that we loved the show and how encouraging it was for those looking for help. I don't know about other weight loss doctors, but Dr. Davis has alot of the super morbid obese and I think it might be because of the show. You have to admire a doctor that has the heart to help those of us who have come to the crossroads of our health.

Welcome Roustabout to a great bunch of lapbanders. I really enjoy this thread and am sure you will do very well with your lapband. My weight a week ago Sunday was 234.6 and today (Monday) it is 232.6. Yes I have lost two pounds but for the last five days I have played with the same 4-6 oz. I started mushies on Saturday and maybe thats why. I just don't understand how they say we have no restriction for the first six weeks if our stomach was banded from the size of a football to the size of a walnut. I really havent been that hungry but am trying to get in all Protein and some extra food. today is the first day I have even been a little hungry since being banded on the 18th. I really don't know what to try and eat mushie wise because I don't want anything to get stuck and I don't want to get sick. I have eaten cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, Soups, baked potato and thats about all I have tried so far on top of the Protein Drinks. With so few calories I would think this weight would just fall off but I also think it hangs on to everything. I see that others are going thru this in the first six weeks also so I won't worry too much about it but there is no way I could get 900 calories in yet but will keep trying to add. Any comments?

Beckyo:rolleyes: