Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi,

Just a quick question. What TV show are you watching with Dr. Davis? Does it come on satellite? I would like to see it. Thanks.

He is on THE LEARNING CHANNEL. You can find it on cable or satellite. It is called BIG MEDICINE. The last time I saw it was May 18th. I don't know if it is showing now.

Oh,those days of being 150.....let me see....1985....Yes, those were the days and I will have those days again. I admire you. Don't quit posting. We all need you! When I start my liquid diet I will figure out the ticker thingy. I have more to lose than you did. My husband and I have booked a cruise in April '09 . We are going to cruise the Hawaiian Islands for our 40th aniversary. I would love to lose at least 75lbs by then. We started our life together in Hawaii and I weighed 117 in 1969. I think my leg weighs 117now....lol. Anyway, I have a goal to shoot for and I will try to accomplish it.

Charlene - OMW Congrats on 40 yrs of marriage - especially since you have been together since you were a baby - Congrats !!!!

9 months - 75 lbs you can do it if your really put your mind into it and follow the program

- in 69 I was starting high school weight 130 - after son in 71 weighed 115/120 - 25 (80) 140/150 and it's been upwards ever since - so it's been about 28 yrs since I have weight this weight - the lowest I ever got was 165 for about a second on WW -

Thanks, Janet!!! I was just thinking tomorrow at this time I might be at home and a couch potato already!! I hope so!

Charlene, Glad to hear the shrink on that tv show is a nice person. Will you have both Davis' in your surgery or just the one?

You don't have to spend the night - I did - and I am glad - cuz I love the pain meds :angry:

CHARLENE, I LOVE DR. DAVIS, BOTH FATHER AND SON........how lucky you are.....I watch them on Discovery Health channel and I saw them on Montel this week. They brought their psychologist with them and a couple of patients. I'm sure you're familiar with Allen, their patient who has been in bed due to obesity for 7 years. He's doing terrific. Good luck to you and give the old doc a kiss from me, lol. He's a cutie patootie!

Charlene - OMW Congrats on 40 yrs of marriage - especially since you have been together since you were a baby - Congrats !!!!

9 months - 75 lbs you can do it if your really put your mind into it and follow the program

- in 69 I was starting high school weight 130 - after son in 71 weighed 115/120 - 25 (80) 140/150 and it's been upwards ever since - so it's been about 28 yrs since I have weight this weight - the lowest I ever got was 165 for about a second on WW -

You don't have to spend the night - I did - and I am glad - cuz I love the pain meds :thumbup:

Yeah, my husband was a cradle robber...lol....no...our aniversary is Dec '69. You know....the Vietnam Era. He was in the service and wanted to get married before being shipped out a second time. Anyway, we have survived. I really want to lose 75 and with this liquid diet I'll be on ....it will help.

Hey, I just ordered some samples of Unjury....is that good stuff?

CHARLENE, I LOVE DR. DAVIS, BOTH FATHER AND SON........how lucky you are.....I watch them on Discovery Health channel and I saw them on Montel this week. They brought their psychologist with them and a couple of patients. I'm sure you're familiar with Allen, their patient who has been in bed due to obesity for 7 years. He's doing terrific. Good luck to you and give the old doc a kiss from me, lol. He's a cutie patootie!

Yeah, the Davis' are the best. They are on The Learning Channel here. I didn't see them this week. What channel is Montel Williams on now?

Yeah, my husband was a cradle robber...lol....no...our aniversary is Dec '69. You know....the Vietnam Era. He was in the service and wanted to get married before being shipped out a second time. Anyway, we have survived. I really want to lose 75 and with this liquid diet I'll be on ....it will help.

Hey, I just ordered some samples of Unjury....is that good stuff?

It's pretty good - I used the unflavored in my coffee in the morning (but you gotta let it cool some or it will currdel) also used the vanilla mixed with yogurt & fruit ice - choc & banana & skim milk ice and I added it to my Soups some times but you gotta let it cool - best was in coffee & sf Creamer and the shakes

I like the jay robb egg white vanilla mixed with lite o.j. and ice like an orange julis - really yummy - it doesn't have the Protein taste - never tried it with the Unjury - my boss gave the the jay robb and I like it

Just google jay robb Protein Powder - you will find the link -

Everyones taste is diff - matrix i think is the one i hated but some people liked it - my doc office sells all this stuff.. some I can get on the internert some I can't but here is a link for some protein you can add to your Water like crystal lite - 70 calories 15 grms protein - I really liked these

WonderSlim Bariatric Diet Fruit Drinks: Bariatric Weight Loss Protein Drink Supplements

They keep changing flavors - oj & lemonda ok - liked the berry & wildberry - the pinnapple sounds good = before the had just grape and i really liked that taste like grape koolaid (sorta) I think the crangrape would be good...

Montel is on our local NY Channel 5. He actually retired from the show because his MS symptoms have been troubling him.

Hello All. I haven't posted in quite awhile. It's good to see the "50's" group is still going strong. Can someone tell me how you can tell when you've reached the "Sweet Spot"? I have a 10cc AP Band. I've had 3 fills and am now at 5.5cc. I can eat VERY little. I'd say 1/2 to 1 cup and I'm fine....EXCEPT...I get physically hungry often. I'm also having trouble eating my daily Protein grams. I must chew, chew and chew somemore or OUCH! At 4cc I could eat 2 tacos at dinner. Is this the way it should be or does this sound like maybe I need a small unfill?

Hello All. I haven't posted in quite awhile. It's good to see the "50's" group is still going strong. Can someone tell me how you can tell when you've reached the "Sweet Spot"? I have a 10cc AP Band. I've had 3 fills and am now at 5.5cc. I can eat VERY little. I'd say 1/2 to 1 cup and I'm fine....EXCEPT...I get physically hungry often. I'm also having trouble eating my daily Protein grams. I must chew, chew and chew somemore or OUCH! At 4cc I could eat 2 tacos at dinner. Is this the way it should be or does this sound like maybe I need a small unfill?

Frisky

It sounds like you could be at your sweet spot - I don't find that the band takes all my hunger away - it helps but doesn't make it dissapper like so many say.

What are you eating - if your are eating slider foods (foods that slide right thru the band - Soups - very soft foods yogurt etc) then you will be hungrier often -

Have you tried tuna in a little lite mayo - also your bites should be the size of a pencil eraser - eat slowly - for me I need to eat at least 1 cup of food per meal - i think eating 2 tacos was too loose... When I eat mexican I ususally have a few chips a bite or 2 of Beans and 1/2 taco 3/4 max - I am happy with that type of restriction

Hi IndioGirl! I definitely need to S L O W D O W N....it's so easy to eat fast and take big bites when you get distracted! I know I don't need anymore restriction. I think I need to adjust my thinking....When I get hungry...the food looks so good and I want to eat ALL of it. I think this will probably be one of my biggest challenges. Just changing the self talk...grrrr

Somebody on the Big Medicine thread said that the Learning Channel is taking Big Medicine off the air. I am bummed. I thought about going to the TLC webs site and complaining.

I am doing good this week. I haven't been eating anything after dinner and night time is usually my big problem. I did have a sugar free popcicle tonight though. I am trying to even cut back on the sugar free stuff too. I think my body does not know the difference between sugar and sugar free. I need to let my body just forget about sweets almost completely if it's possible.

Good luck to all our new bandsters! It's a learning process at first, for sure, but eventually it just becomes routine.

I do enjoy watching both Dr. Davis on that show. I love to see the success stories. And Allen, good to know he is doing well, he was struggling last time i saw him on the show.

Big MEdicine was one of the things that peaked my interest in the lapband when i was thinking about surgery. It is a very informative show and deals with the good and bad of the weight lose journey.

I go for fill #2 this aftenoon, i have 4cc in my 14 cc band right now. I struggle eating chicken, but most everything else goes down fairly easily. Looking forward to another step in finding my sweet spot.

Hi IndioGirl! I definitely need to S L O W D O W N....it's so easy to eat fast and take big bites when you get distracted! I know I don't need anymore restriction. I think I need to adjust my thinking....When I get hungry...the food looks so good and I want to eat ALL of it. I think this will probably be one of my biggest challenges. Just changing the self talk...grrrr

So happy to read your post Frisky. I've been experiencing the same thing with this last fill and was worried. I feel better now. I too take BIG bites and eat way too fast. And boy do I get punished for it, yuck! That's the hardest part of this journey for me, learning to eat slowly and not shovel it in. And Frisky, it's actually healthy to have several small meals per day, so I wouldn't worry about getting hungry often, just choose good things to eat when that happens. I keep Protein Bars around, oatmeal, fruit and Protein Shake mixes as well as "normal" foods. My doctor told me that sugar free Desserts actually make you desire real sugar more, so that you tend to want to eat more of them to get that unconscious satisfaction you are looking for from sugar. Good luck to you and to all of us! 55 pounds lost and 40 more to go to reach goal! :thumbup:

I do enjoy watching both Dr. Davis on that show. I love to see the success stories. And Allen, good to know he is doing well, he was struggling last time i saw him on the show.

Big MEdicine was one of the things that peaked my interest in the lapband when i was thinking about surgery. It is a very informative show and deals with the good and bad of the weight lose journey.

I go for fill #2 this aftenoon, i have 4cc in my 14 cc band right now. I struggle eating chicken, but most everything else goes down fairly easily. Looking forward to another step in finding my sweet spot.

I watch Big Medicine on the Discovery Health channel. I love that show and so happy Allen is doing well. I read a post yesterday by a gal who is having surgery this week by Dr. Garth Davis. I hope they don't cancel the show. Perhaps we should start a letter writing campaign to the station. That is what kept America's Most Wanted on the air when Fox wanted to discontinue it.

:thumbup:

Indiogirl, THANKS!...for the 411....those sound like some good shakes....I will try them.

Hey, Bandsters, I will ask Dr. Garth about the show at my next appointment. I should be going at the end of this month for pre-op.