Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

It got locked by accident. Alex wanted to lock the thread "How is weight loss for those over 50. It's over 100 pages. He accidentally locked the wrong one.

I am excited. Alex made me a moderator!

Thanks Denise - I got asked once but then they said they had enough when I said yes. Congratulations on being a moderator !!!!

Thanks Denise - I got asked once but then they said they had enough when I said yes. Congratulations on being a moderator !!!!

Yeah, I responded to his request for volunteers, too, but I didn't even get a "Dear John" email like you did! That's okay. My internet connection has been so spotty lately!

I'm excited by it, but I am not even sure what I am supposed to do.

You guys let me know if you see any posts that you feel are inappropriate. I need to read the rules if I can find them, so I can figure out when someone is breaking them.

I am so proud of all of you that are working this thing!! I want to be a member in the Band, one day. I am doing my research now. I am 56 and live between Tampa and Sarasota--any banding neighbors out there? doctors to recommend? or avoid?

I feel that eating, food, dieting, more food, feelings about food, etc. etc. have dominated my life for too long. I want to become a person that uses just what I need for nutrition. Can that happen? Or do you obsess still about what you can and cannot eat?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

I don't live in your area so no advice on Dr's etc.

But I am the same age and I'm so happy I had the surgery. I don't miss my old way of eating and in fact most of the time before banding I was eating healthy foods about 75% of the time but too much of them and the other 25% of the time would keep my weight from going down.

The band has allowed me to eat smaller portions of healthy food more consistently and altho I have a few cravings now and then, I have 99% been able to resist them.

I have lost 30 pounds and now weigh the lowest I have been in 20 years

and went down at least two sizes. I am petite and I'm about 10 to 12 pounds away from shopping in the regular petite dept. How great is that?

I walk easier, look better, my knee (had surgery for torn meniscus) is better and I have no more reflux. The Dr. fixed my hiatal hernia when he placed the band and that fixed the acid reflux.

I was self pay and it was worth it. It is actually a relief to feel satisfied on less food, not a burden or bother at all.

We have lots of openings in the band... LOL.... join us!

Yeah, I responded to his request for volunteers, too, but I didn't even get a "Dear John" email like you did! That's okay. My internet connection has been so spotty lately!

Well that's chicken poop!!! At least could have said thanks but no thanks.

I'm excited by it, but I am not even sure what I am supposed to do.

You guys let me know if you see any posts that you feel are inappropriate. I need to read the rules if I can find them, so I can figure out when someone is breaking them.

Denise - I think you are suppose to respone to unanswered post - help the newbie - stop fight - threaten to lock threads :eek: , tell them how to get a ticker - support - blah blah blah - I haven't really see anyone get mean on a regular thread lately - but omg in the rants and raves - it gets very heated - but thats where it's allowed to a degree - But if I see a problem - I will let you know - I surf the other threads every now and then and ck unanswered post and am ALWAY giving newbies the links to get a ticker.

I know that there is a thread in the rants about the questions newbies ask heck I have posted there - but it's not easy to find the answers to their questions - I think there needs to be a thread in the 1st section Introductions that say - Here is how you get a tiicker - here is what pb means - all that stuff is way down in frequestly asked questions.. hard to find..

I am so proud of all of you that are working this thing!! I want to be a member in the Band, one day. I am doing my research now. I am 56 and live between Tampa and Sarasota--any banding neighbors out there? doctors to recommend? or avoid?

I feel that eating, food, dieting, more food, feelings about food, etc. etc. have dominated my life for too long. I want to become a person that uses just what I need for nutrition. Can that happen? Or do you obsess still about what you can and cannot eat?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

JBFlorida - Welcome !!! I am in Califorina so can't help with docs - But I can tell you that it is possible to become a person who eats for nutrition. I think about the stuff I don't eat anymore - mostly fried foods and tons of it - I don't obesse about food as much - do i miss it - ya sometimes - tonite went to Walgreens - tons of easter candy is out - I walked by that section real fast - candy goes down real easy - really haven't eaten any since being banded - oh wait I am lying I had a couple pieces at halloween - but I stay away from it - cuz if I eat it I am not going to lose weight - I have so much more energy - I feel so much better - I enjoy my healthy meals - I am lucky I don't have really anything I can't eat -

This is a lifetime lifestyle change - and after so many years of hearing this - I think i finally got it - it took having major surgery to make it sink in - but I think it finally has - I eat healthy 98% of the time - I exercise 3 to 4 days a week - I think I am on the road to recovery from my addiction of food - but like any addict - it will always be with you - some days are better than others but it is doable.

Good Luck on your journey...

Hi Everyone! I've been reading this forum for many weeks, actually months and have finally made the decision to get my life back, yes, I'm being banded on March 13th!!!!! WoooHoooo, I can not wait! I begin my pre-op diet tomorrow after my doctor's appointment and go from there. I've read so much about this surgery and yet I feel almost completely in the dark, but I'm excited, I'm ready and I know I'll keep reading and asking questions here and it'll all come together.

I'm 50, have 100 lbs to lose and need to get all the neat stuff in my signature line that each of you have.

Oh yeah, I do have to get a consent from my primary care dr. that I can have surgery. I also have lab work to complete and possibly a chest x-ray, not sure about the reason for that, but anyway.

I'm self-pay and yeah it's a chunk of change but it's a chunk for and about ME, something I've not taken care of for many years and I deserve it!

Thanks for all your help so far, I look forward to sharing and learning with ya'll!

Hi Everyone! I've been reading this forum for many weeks, actually months and have finally made the decision to get my life back, yes, I'm being banded on March 13th!!!!! WoooHoooo, I can not wait! I begin my pre-op diet tomorrow after my doctor's appointment and go from there. I've read so much about this surgery and yet I feel almost completely in the dark, but I'm excited, I'm ready and I know I'll keep reading and asking questions here and it'll all come together.

I'm 50, have 100 lbs to lose and need to get all the neat stuff in my signature line that each of you have.

Oh yeah, I do have to get a consent from my primary care dr. that I can have surgery. I also have lab work to complete and possibly a chest x-ray, not sure about the reason for that, but anyway.

I'm self-pay and yeah it's a chunk of chain but it's a chunk for and about ME, something I've not taken care of for many years and I deserve it!

Thanks for all your help so far, I look forward to sharing and learning with ya'll!

Welcome Lynne

This is the greatest place to learn and receive support - Congrats on your upcomming surgery - I really should lose 100 lbs too but at my age 90 is going to be my goal - I feel soo much better and truly have finally gotten that in order to lose this weight - I do have to make a lifetime lifestyle change in my eating and exercise habits. In fact last night I wanted healthy food not my mex leftovers (yes now adays we do have left overs:biggrin:) food - things do change...

Good luck on your surgery - you will be in our prayers - and if you have any questions ask - we will be here for you...

here is how you get a ticker

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

Thanks for the site for my ticker. 90 lbs is awesome, way to go girl! You look fantastic in your picture. I find myself reading on this site and suddenly I've been here for hours, I'm like a sponge that just can not get enough information. I'm sure that will never change, you ladies and guys are so wonderful for sharing and answering questions. Thanks for your support, I'm sure I'll be asking many questions as I begin.

I forgot to ask this until I saw my signature......how do I change my ticker from saying 240 lbs gained, etc....to me it looks like I want to gain another 100 lbs, yikes! I tried a couple of different things on the web site but nothing changed it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi,

I'm Bonnie, age 54 and I was banded on 2/4/08. I start eating solid foods tomorrow, but plan on taking it really easy at first. I went to my book group meeting today and despite having an entire plate of brownies put right in front of me (doesn't it always work that way?), I wasn't even tempted. I thought about all the junk that are in those brownies going into my body and you know what -- ugh. Because I'm not restricted, I suppose I can eat anything I want to starting tomorrow, but I'm determined to eat like a bandster from here on in. I've come too far to let anything go down the tubes now.

I love to exercise but I had surgery to repair a torn meniscus in December, so I'm not able to exercise as hard or seriously as I'd like. I need help with my food choices -- I'm not a detail-oriented person at all -- when you make something like chicken with some kind of sauce on it (to keep things moist) -- how do you figure out how many calories it is? I assume you weight the chicken -- do you weigh before cooking or after cooking to determine portion size?

bonnie

Hi Bonnie You'll find once you get used to eyeballing portions, you can do it with no problem. If you aren't detail oriented, you might want to put your meals in a cup and in a half cup and begin to see what those izes look like. Your meals will range between those two sizes usually. For me, it depends on the day and the time and my emotions, how restricted I am.

I'm self-pay and yeah it's a chunk of change but it's a chunk for and about ME, something I've not taken care of for many years and I deserve it!

Welcome. I have been a bit of a lurker myself, also in the research stage of things. Saw my primary today, she is even supporting this for me. I have found everyone very supportive so far. I just wish the darn nutritionist would get off the chair and on her PC to get my referral done. In the beginning I read all the basic stuff which was very helpful. There are several sites that have "sticky" information and have been most helpful also. As for the ticker and such, just find a person who has an active link to it and go and make your own. Good luck.

Welcome Chell. Good luck with your pre-op process and surgery. I am yet to be banded also. Starting my 4th mo. of my 6 mo. medically supervised diet. It really hasn't been too bad. Think I've only been discouraged once; came here and talked and got all kinds of encouragement. I think I was down for about 20 minutes. The girls here lifted me up. Take care and hope to see you post in the future.

I'm so annoyed. I sent out a bunch of emails trying to get some info from local surgeons and most of the replies back I got weren't even worth the energy it took to read them. Grrrrr. Plus my medical group will NOT schedule me for what they call the "Bariatric Shared Group Medical Appointment" which is their equivalent of the free seminar other surgeons have. They are waiting to hear back from my insurance ... which I find hard to believe because I've never had to wait this long before for them to do a pre-auth.

I hate being in limbo.