Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Yep - I do rughooking.

(and knitting, crochet, embroidery, needlepoint and anything else with a hook or a needle)

My closest teacher and guild for rughooking is a well-worth-it hour's drive away.

2 Tuesdays a month plus 1 guild meeting.

LOVED IT!

My first love is knitting with sewing a close second.

I'm "destashing" much of my burlap and canvas and some wools.

But NO-ONE gets my Pittsburgh frame or Rigby wool cutter!

Dye equipment and doo-dads stay too.

("I'd rather hook than eat"

well - that mantra needs more discipline but I'm working on it)

Considering that most quilters now use rotary cutting techniques to cut their fabric into strips, many quilters jokingly call themselves "strippers." On this thread we now have a number of "strippers" and "hookers." I hope we will not be leaving newcomers with the wrong impression...

PS-I like knitting, too. Since most of my quilting is machine work now, I still need something to do with my hands and knitting fills the bill. I've made some killer felted bags and purses!

Considering that most quilters now use rotary cutting techniques to cut their fabric into strips, many quilters jokingly call themselves "strippers." On this thread we now have a number of "strippers" and "hookers." I hope we will not be leaving newcomers with the wrong impression...

PS-I like knitting, too. Since most of my quilting is machine work now, I still need something to do with my hands and knitting fills the bill. I've made some killer felted bags and purses!

Yep, I am a stripper and a hooker(if you count a crochet hook). Now, I wonder how we got so fat stripping and hooking? Duh! It requires alot of sitting.

I had to read the posts today to get me back on track. I went to the bakery to buy my mother a 85th b-day cake for tomorrow. I was weak and bought a white almond cupcake and just ate it. I feel like crap now. I should have read the posts first before I went to the bakery. I just hope I don't go up in lbs.:angry: Okay, now that I have confessed my sins.....I can move on. :smile:

I had to have all of those tests done before banding except Doppler of legs and carotid arteries. I was told I didn't have to do that because I didn't have a history of blood clots and I wasn't over 50BMI but they do it if either of those 2 conditions are present. I had my band done at a teaching hospital and they may have required a few more than my ins co. Actually, I look at it this way --- how often do we get the opportunity to have that thorough of a medical check-up? I have had so much testing in the last few years (either because of medical problems from being overweight or in order to get the band) that I feel confident that I'm in good health. At my age -- it's a good feeling (peace of mind) to know that I seem to be in good health.

For the first time in my life - I'm going to PT. I just can't believe how much it helps! I really think I'm going to be able to start strengths training in about 3 to 4 weeks. I'm excited about that because I think it will help a lot with losing more quickly. I complain a lot about losing so slowly but I must say that this band is making my dreams come true. My life is just so much better already and I'm so grateful to have another chance at life.

Seems like we're a creative group - quilters, sewers... Any rug hookers? I started last year and I love it. I'm also a knitter.

I think a get together would be a blast! I'd consider it.

I used to do punch needle rug hooking. That was fun! I may just pick it up again sometime. I still have the needle. :-)

Just had surgery September 30th, still feeling under the weather

It IS major surgery. You'll be feeling better every day, and this will be a memory in no time. Until then, be patient with your self and listen to your body. Rest as needed. Everyone is different. Some snap back very fast. I was a little extra tired for several weeks.

Keep us posted re your progress.

Orea

Dixie, back on the main page of LBTalk there is a section for Support Groups by the month, go to 2008 and find the October thread. You should find other October bandsters in there and can join in with one of the threads. I just received my December 4th date and today I started the first thread for December Bandsters. So far no one has replied - guess it's just a little out there yet... 9 weeks from tonight I'll be laying back in my recliner wondering why the heck did I do that???

Joann,,, sorry you didn't get a response from the October Thread. I was so lucky to find you and everyone here that made me feel so welcome and wanted. December may seem far out, but it's a big thing in your life,, and we have all been there. Hang in there, enjoy your recliner and before long you will be saying, "I'm glad I did this." The days will pass quickly

Just had surgery September 30th, still feeling under the weather

Scollum... I had my band on Sept 17th.. and I'm still sore also.. give yourself time. And remember all people are different and we heal on different schedules, just take care of you, you will get there. Remember,, this is the first day of the rest of your life.. Lots of change to follow.

Joann,,, sorry you didn't get a response from the October Thread. I was so lucky to find you and everyone here that made me feel so welcome and wanted. December may seem far out, but it's a big thing in your life,, and we have all been there. Hang in there, enjoy your recliner and before long you will be saying, "I'm glad I did this." The days will pass quickly

Thanks Pati, I'm not concerned about a December response just yet. I think most people are still being scheduled for October and November. I'm just the first one there. Somebody will be checking out that month before too long and they will find me there waiting for them. Did you find the October thread okay? There are probably several groups you can hook up with.

Desdemona--you will love strength training!! It makes such a difference in the shape of your body. I have lost so many inches.

I am an avid exerciser, also 56 (for 4 more weeks!) and have lost 60 lbs since May. My doc says to lose 6 more; I want to lose 16 more.

The time goes by quickly. Keep your eye on your goal--it will get here if you "work" that band!

judy

Just something I've wondered....

I notice the title of this thread is 'Hey 50 & Over, we have a new spot....

Vs. where was the old?? Or is Lapbandtalk relatively new??

Had a good day. Went shopping for a new range/oven but I haven't totally gotten hubby to buy into the idea. He says to do what I want, but I know he'd rather get the old one fixed if it's not too much. Now I feel torn, as I know he really doesn't want to, I'd rather get a nicer one but they are more than we want to spend, etc. I have a repairman scheduled for Tues. morning, it's $29.95 for him to come, it will be deducted from repairs if we repair it, if not I just owe that much, guess I could see what he says and then hope it's too expensive to fix. :smile2:

Tomorrow we have a family gathering at my SIL's for FIL's birthday, I haven't seen many folks in a month or two so will see if they notice my loss. It's not too much of a challenge food wise as SIL always has such ummm how shall I say, 'different stuff' or nto really sure what that is stuff. Not usually too tastey. :crying:

Just something I've wondered....

I notice the title of this thread is 'Hey 50 & Over, we have a new spot....

Vs. where was the old?? Or is Lapbandtalk relatively new??

Had a good day. Went shopping for a new range/oven but I haven't totally gotten hubby to buy into the idea. He says to do what I want, but I know he'd rather get the old one fixed if it's not too much. Now I feel torn, as I know he really doesn't want to, I'd rather get a nicer one but they are more than we want to spend, etc. I have a repairman scheduled for Tues. morning, it's $29.95 for him to come, it will be deducted from repairs if we repair it, if not I just owe that much, guess I could see what he says and then hope it's too expensive to fix. :smile2:

Tomorrow we have a family gathering at my SIL's for FIL's birthday, I haven't seen many folks in a month or two so will see if they notice my loss. It's not too much of a challenge food wise as SIL always has such ummm how shall I say, 'different stuff' or nto really sure what that is stuff. Not usually too tastey. :crying:

Oh yum... Sounds like a fun time.

When are your folks coming? or are they already there? Have FUN, LORI!

Oh yum... Sounds like a fun time.

When are your folks coming? or are they already there? Have FUN, LORI!

They come on Tues. or Wed. they haven't let me know a definite date yet. Though, ironically, she would've wanted specifics a month ago!! LOL

Long2bThin, we walked into Lowe's a couple of years ago and saw two gorgeous high end ranges sitting out, marked down a lot. We went home and did our research then returned and bought the GE Profile. Both of us are still amazed at what a difference a better range makes. It has four burners of different sizes and BTU's, ranging from a little simmer burner to a big, quick-boil burner. The oven is great and offers both convection and regular settings. It has been a great investment in terms of improving our lives and making the kitchen look terrific.

In short, I recommend upgrading. :crying: You can tell him I said so!:smile2:

Orea