Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Green how are you doing??? I have been thinking about you - you never post on this thread any more:frown:

Hey there, Indio. Yep, I haven't been posting much because I am still undergoing daily radiation treatments and the occasional chemo on top of all the nuking. This means that I am either at the hospital or trying to sleep off the nasty side effects. Cancer is very slimming but not in a good way. I am now getting my butt reamed for losing weight and am told to drink whole milk, eat butter, icecream...in short, my new diet instructions run counter to the band way. Now I have to try to eat like a weight lifter and I am not enjoying it at all. The funny thing is that I am often starving; it is just that my taste buds have been smashed by the treatments and everything I try to eat tastes like toxic sludge to me. Now, they have said that I will eventually get my sense of taste back. I sure hope that they are right!

Anyhow, here are my new stats: I am still 5'6" tall but I now weigh 133 lbs and my skin looks terrible as there is far too much of it. I have no muscle mass because my new sedentary life style doesn't encourage it. On the plus side, I have only 3 more weeks of radiation and one more chemo session to go. Then it will be time for me to heal up from this. And they do say that I am gonna be okay at the end of it all. So that part is cool, eh.

Green...I think it's pretty cool also that your prognosis is positive. I am sure this has been a life changing experience for you and happy to see your posts once in awhile.

Great Job! I got banded in February 2008...have lost 17 pounds since. Any helpful hints that made you so successful?

everyone's [port can be in a different place. It just depends on where YOUR surgeon prefers to put it.

Yes, it may remain tender for several wks. My Port was moved Mar 28 and I still have a titch of bruising and I can feel scar tissue forming around it too.

Very weird, but not painful.

I had another fill today, my 4th and I think this should do me for a while...

:frown:I DID IT:Dancing_biggrin:

I MADE IT

:thumbup:

FIRST TIME IN MY WHOLE FRICKIN LIFE !!!!

success1.gif

GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL

(LIKE THEY SAY IN SOCCER)

IN FACT I AM 2 LBS UNDER GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Banane44::hurray::thumbup:

92 LBS GONE IN 9 MONTHS 3 WEEKS

:tt2::Dancing_wub::Banane44:

:frown::hurray::tt2::hurray:THAT IS FABULOUS!!!! Congrats!!! GOOD JOB!! :Banane44::hurray::Banane44::hurray:

Hey Indiogirl, I am an over 50, can I join? My band date is May 12th and counting down. Becky

Indiogirl.......YEAH.........YOU GO GIRL.....HIGH FIVE!!!!:frown:....any advise for us that are just starting our journey. I have read many of your blogs and they have inspired me very much. I can't wait to have my tool so that I can have some self control over my portions. That seems to be my biggest weakness and emotional eating. Any advise?? All the best to you on your fantastic achievment! Becky:thumbup:

I don't have a surgery date yet; however I have been jumping through all their hoops and should be close to meeting with surgeon. I have attended the classes; had the physc exam; clearance from all my doctors; blood work, ekg, and sonogram. Next week I have a one on one consult with the nutritionist and then they should send my files to the surgeon. Was hoping to have surgery in June right after school is out. Still hoping for later part of June. Anyone, out there from the Wichita, Kansas area?:biggrin:

Hey there, Indio. Yep, I haven't been posting much because I am still undergoing daily radiation treatments and the occasional chemo on top of all the nuking. This means that I am either at the hospital or trying to sleep off the nasty side effects. Cancer is very slimming but not in a good way. I am now getting my butt reamed for losing weight and am told to drink whole milk, eat butter, icecream...in short, my new diet instructions run counter to the band way. Now I have to try to eat like a weight lifter and I am not enjoying it at all. The funny thing is that I am often starving; it is just that my taste buds have been smashed by the treatments and everything I try to eat tastes like toxic sludge to me. Now, they have said that I will eventually get my sense of taste back. I sure hope that they are right!

Anyhow, here are my new stats: I am still 5'6" tall but I now weigh 133 lbs and my skin looks terrible as there is far too much of it. I have no muscle mass because my new sedentary life style doesn't encourage it. On the plus side, I have only 3 more weeks of radiation and one more chemo session to go. Then it will be time for me to heal up from this. And they do say that I am gonna be okay at the end of it all. So that part is cool, eh.

Green - It reminds me of that movie with Mary Tyler Moore where she is talking to GF and say - at lease now I lost that 10 lbs but getting cancer is a hell of a way to do it. 133 @ 5'6 sounds a bit thin - well I know that you are wearing your linen baggy pant and staying comfy I hope..

Ya to have to change back to old eating habits would be hard especially if your taste buds are messed up and it doesn't even taste good. Bummer.

I keep you in my prayer and think of you often - I look for you in the Rant Section - but haven seen you in a while - I am glad to hear that your treatments will end shortly and that the out look is positive

Very Very Very cool - eh!!! (trying my hand at talking Canadian)

Indiogirl.......YEAH.........YOU GO GIRL.....HIGH FIVE!!!!:biggrin:....any advise for us that are just starting our journey. I have read many of your blogs and they have inspired me very much. I can't wait to have my tool so that I can have some self control over my portions. That seems to be my biggest weakness and emotional eating. Any advise?? All the best to you on your fantastic achievment! Becky:thumbup:

Becky

Advice is eat healthy - low fat sugar free - exercise... Keep a food diary/log - keep calories 900 - 1200. If you want a treat budget your calories to include it. I eat healthy 98% of the time and allow 2% for treats - I still eat out but I now eat 1/4 of what I ate - I still have a sweet every now and then (maybe once a month or every 2) I follow a WW type eating plan as IMHO it's the most well balanced.

My problem was portions - not fast foods but too much home cooked high fat foods and sweet binges every few months and I was a total slug bug.

You are going to have to work at this - you have to have will power but as the pounds come off - the will power increases cuz you will see the results of your efforts.

Also, IMHO don't stop posting - you need the support - when you are hungry - mad - sad - whatever and you need a distraction - get on line and post your heart out - LBT has become my transfer addiction.

If you fall down - pick yourself up by your boot straps - and keep going forward - you can't change the past - but you do have control over the future....

You can do this - If I did this anyone can do it - I am no diff than any of you - I am not a superwoman - i am just an every day girl - who has decided enough is enough and I wanted to improve the quality of my life

Hi Indiogirl, I can't tell you how much your words of support mean to me. The fact that you are just "an everyday girl" makes you a hero to me. I will take to heart everything you have advised because it makes very good sense to me. I think what you have done is doable for me too. Exercise will be the one thing that I will have to kick into gear. I am talking about a daily routine because I am a pretty active person. I love to kayak, hike, bike, walk my dog, dance ect, but I don't do these things on a daily basis. I am going to join a gym and start with a trainer to get on a good moderate program. I hope you will be my LB Buddy:wub:. Thanks again and hooray for you! Becky

Hi Indiogirl, I can't tell you how much your words of support mean to me. The fact that you are just "an everyday girl" makes you a hero to me. I will take to heart everything you have advised because it makes very good sense to me. I think what you have done is doable for me too. Exercise will be the one thing that I will have to kick into gear. I am talking about a daily routine because I am a pretty active person. I love to kayak, hike, bike, walk my dog, dance ect, but I don't do these things on a daily basis. I am going to join a gym and start with a trainer to get on a good moderate program. I hope you will be my LB Buddy:wub:. Thanks again and hooray for you! Becky

Of course Becky I am your LB Buddy :biggrin:

I didn't start with my trainer until the 1st of March - I was to embarressed to go up to this hunk of a guy and say - hey you wanta help the fat old lady get into shape - I did only treadmill for 1st 8 months - now 2 days trainer 2 days (most of the time) treadmill.

I really feel that the weights and building muscle has really help me this last couple of months - I have never hit a plateau....

The longer you are here and the more you read - the more you will find out that were are all basically the same...

Indiogirl you are really an inspiration. :biggrin: I've been banded 15 days and lost 10 lbs the first week and 25 lbs total since Feb 08. I haven't lost a pound in the last 8 days and its been very frustrating. :thumbup: I have been keeping track of my Protein and calories (not more then 900 a day) and watching out for sugarfree items. I am still sore around my port but I have been getting on my eliptical since day 7 (flat ground program) and I'm up to 20 minutes on that (started with 5 minutes). I have taken walks around the mall but my pace is still pretty slow because I am also healing a broken right foot from February 08 so I've still got a limp.:sad:

I know I am probably wanting too much too soon but I am so excited about the possibilities and whats to come. Especially when I read posts like yours. They really keep me going and I thank all of you who have stayed on here to help us newbies.

Feeling a little depressed, I started cleaning out a closet of old clothes of mine today. I've got all kinds of sizes in there and of course, tried some on. Guess what? I got back into some of them already and in fact, found a perfect outfit to wear to a wedding on May 18th.:party:

What a great day! I have never been so happy to be such a loser!!!

Take care and keep it up everyone,

Yvonne:laugh: