Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Trazola, bread is no-no for most of us. It makes you pb because it expands in your pouch, plus its a carb that fills the stomach leaving less room for the Protein you need to get into you. And as a carb, it just plain isn't very good for you and will keep you from losing weight.

Hopefully your nutritionist will helps you pick band-friendly, weight-loss promoting food.

Also, remember, small bites and chew things well. You'll have a lot less getting stuck and pbing.

Cheri

Hi Indigo, I am 55 and just going through the beginning of getting set for getting approved. I am scared and wonder if I The therapist said I am not ready and I have to go through at least 6 sessions of therapy before he will release me for surgery, but I have been reading lots of negative stories about people having their bands removed. At my age I wonder if it would be better for me to have rny rather than the band? If I am starting to be scared because of reading other people's stories, should I still pursue WLS, or just throw in the towel? Thanks for any advice you can offer. I chose you because we are the same age.

Wendy, I went thru menopause before getting the band and I had gained about 20 pounds or so from it. The band worked great taking that back off and much more. I was taking 2 different blood pressure meds and got off of both of them within about 6 months into the band. You will love it! Best Wishes, Gaye

I also went through memopause before getting band. I have had good luck with the band. It put me back on track.

Today was my first day back at school and the students could not believe it was me! I can wait for another 50 pounds!

I also went through memopause before getting band. I have had good luck with the band. It put me back on track.

Today was my first day back at school and the students could not believe it was me! I can wait for another 50 pounds!

Thank you so much! At least I know it will work for me too. I either quit and just give up because it don't work as easily as it once had. It seems to go so slow. I am ready for this to get here. Thank you for my much needed support with this. Thanks again, Wendy Ann :)

Wendy, I went thru menopause before getting the band and I had gained about 20 pounds or so from it. The band worked great taking that back off and much more. I was taking 2 different blood pressure meds and got off of both of them within about 6 months into the band. You will love it! Best Wishes, Gaye

Thank you Gaye! I hope to be doing good with this. I have had my meds changed twice and the the second time was a differant type because it wasn't working all day so no it is timed released. With that said, I just hate taking them at all. So I have a need to change this in me. I just want to now and without the wait. Thank you again, Wendy

Michsha,

I'm 58, got my band at 57, and I'm doing great. Maybe you should stop reading the negative stories and start reading the positive ones. I'm 80 lbs down, at goal, under top of BMI, feeling great, and I can even dance again. I just went off my anti-inflammatories. My blood sugar is greatly improved. A Dr. who'd never met me before told me I looked fantastic. My brother who hadn't seen me for a year said I looked sexy. I feel great and look great. I've got 8 months now of maintenance. I've actually lost 5 more lbs.

But you do have to be prepared mentally, and emotionally. I think you have to have a 12-step approach and admit that food addiction has made your life unmanageable. You have to believe in a power greater than yourself that can restore you to sanity. The band is just a tool, but it shows your humility. You know you can't do it yourself. But with God, the support of other lapbanders, and the band, you can do it. One day at a time, one meal at a time.

When Indio gets on the thread she'll let you know more. The band is just a tool, you have a lot of work to do. Take some meds to lift your depression if that's what's holding you back. Get your therapy. Change your attitude. Go for it.

Hello,

I am 6 days post banding and am on full liquids now, I am doing fine and am wondering when to start exercise back other than walking and light housework at this point. I used to ride my recumbent bike 20 min and do stretching and floor exercise each 3X wkly. Will it be a whole 6 wks? I also had a hernia repair, and he said it was not a small one either.

Trazola, bread is no-no for most of us. It makes you pb because it expands in your pouch, plus its a carb that fills the stomach leaving less room for the Protein you need to get into you. And as a carb, it just plain isn't very good for you and will keep you from losing weight.

Hopefully your nutritionist will helps you pick band-friendly, weight-loss promoting food.

Also, remember, small bites and chew things well. You'll have a lot less getting stuck and pbing.

Cheri

Thanks Cheri,

I fully expect not to be able to eat bread once I have my fill, but for now I am able to eat it, especially since I started taking smaller bites and chewing things well. I don't eat a lot of it though. I am being very careful to get my protein in as well. I have never pb'd, and only got stuck a couple of times but when I waited a few seconds it went down.

I can assure you that I did not get this band put inside me with the thought that it would make the weight just fall off. I know I have to work hard for results and that the band is just a tool. I do appreciate your concern and helpful ideas, but I'm cool.

Thanks again! :)

Hi everybody. It's been a 1 1/2 years since I logged on. Just wanted to say Hi, and if anybody has any advice on starting over...I need some coaching! I have succumbed to carbohydrate craving, and managed to gain 60 pounds back from what I lost after my 2008 banding! Its not the band's fault. While I could perhaps use a little fill, I've learned to eat around it.

How to I start over and get back into the healthy eating and losing again? Every day I start with good intentions...and then overeat. Now I'm full blown carb addicted again...and I hate what I'm doing to myself! But can't seem to take control....

Anybody been there and found their way back?

You could try the 5 day pouch test to see if you need a fill but also to jump start your weight loss. (Basically go back to your food plan when you first got the band. Liquids and then mushies.) When I lost the weight I made a vow never to gain more than 2 lbs. That's my warning sign that I need to cut back. I immediately go back to high Protein, no carbs. I don't keep bad-for-me carbs in the house. I stay in contact with other lap-banders daily. I post about the things that might otherwise drive me into the food.

You can do this. The band is merely a tool. Respect it and it will help you, one day at a time, one meal at a time.

Cheri

WOW lizlee, I just got my band 7 days ago and am healing and back to work next week. I am still basking in the glow of how little one can get along on for food. I am trying to feel what full is now before going to far. Right now I can eat about 1/3c of mushies,then trying to wait an hour to start fluids till the next time I am hungry, and that is about 5 hours later, but hunger also feels different more like a noise than a real hunger pain.

I know for me the automatic triggers to eat and the general feeling of boredom make me eat, so being off work well some drawers are getting cleaned and clothing culled.

I guess your going to have to sit yourself down and have a serious talk with yourself. Or take Oprah's advise and go stand in the mirror naked and make a decision. I have never done that but I saw it yesterday while cleaning them off my DVR. I guess I am willing to try anything.

If, Thanks for replying. I appreciate your advice. I have my first therapy session on the 26th and am so looking forward to it. You give me hope and congratulations on your Quest for a healthy new life. Hope to be joining you soon.

Shannon

Hi Indigo, I am 55 and just going through the beginning of getting set for getting approved. I am scared and wonder if I The therapist said I am not ready and I have to go through at least 6 sessions of therapy before he will release me for surgery, but I have been reading lots of negative stories about people having their bands removed. At my age I wonder if it would be better for me to have rny rather than the band? If I am starting to be scared because of reading other people's stories, should I still pursue WLS, or just throw in the towel? Thanks for any advice you can offer. I chose you because we are the same age.

What can I stay - I took the risk - so far I'm fine -

If you have a good doc - follow the rules - it puts the odds in your favor - but the way I look at it honestly - life's a crap shoot - I could get up from my desk right now twist my ankle - hit my head and be dead...

Lapband is the least invasive wls - and yes some pple have a hard time finding their sweet spot - some pple have a hard time changing their eating habits - some pple lose their bands some don't..

I read a few of those post on the complication thread - but quit.. I focused on the successfull pple..

This is your decision - but I gotta tell you - losing the weight at this age has improved the quality of my life so much !!!

Therapy along w/the band is a good choice as imho the majority of our issues w/food are in our heads and not our stomachs

I look 10 yrs younger - have 110 % more energy - enjoying life - not eating and sleeping it away..

Good Luck on your journey

Thank you for your imput. I am two days from my first therapy session and am really looking forward to getting started with it. I would love to look and feel better like you and must remember to be positive instead of scared. Usually it takes alot to scare me, but this is a big decision and not something I will take lightly in my life. Thanks again~

WOW lizlee, I just got my band 7 days ago and am healing and back to work next week. I am still basking in the glow of how little one can get along on for food. I am trying to feel what full is now before going to far. Right now I can eat about 1/3c of mushies,then trying to wait an hour to start fluids till the next time I am hungry, and that is about 5 hours later, but hunger also feels different more like a noise than a real hunger pain.

I know for me the automatic triggers to eat and the general feeling of boredom make me eat, so being off work well some drawers are getting cleaned and clothing culled.

I guess your going to have to sit yourself down and have a serious talk with yourself. Or take Oprah's advise and go stand in the mirror naked and make a decision. I have never done that but I saw it yesterday while cleaning them off my DVR. I guess I am willing to try anything.

Yeah, Wow. All I can say is...enjoy that full feeling. I wish I could get back there. I was like you for the first year...did great, enjoying my new life, followed all the rules, etc.

BUT.

You can to stay with it or you'll end up like me.

I never thought I'd be in this position again...but here I am. It's not like I didn't beat myself up every day about it...but I guess old habits die hard - it's an addiction and it never really goes away.

I know there are people who totally turn their lives around - like Indio! But, I guess I'm not that strong....and have a totally inappropriate ability to be in denial! (I've had lots of strong talks with myself! But my other half has been winning the conversation! I lack that strength to get past the impulsive carb craving - on a long term basis.

Where do you long term 'losers' get the willpower?

I am trying, again, one day at a time. I've done OK x 2 days. That's good for me!

Coming back here was the first step to getting my head on straight again.