Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medical ID and Restaurant cards

Hello all.

Was banded on December 14th and feeling really great. I was at a New's party and got to talking to a lady who was also banded. She told me about a great place to get Medical Id bracelets (laurenshope.com) I was never told I needed one by my doctor. It does make sense though. What is the thought on this issue? do many of you wear them? She also mentioned she got a card from her dr. to show at restuarants stating she had surgery if they try to hassle her if she wants to order off the kids or senior menu? I had never heard of this.

Happy new year to you all and a happy healthy 2008

peace,

spiffy

I have the card . I never thought of the Bracelet. What would be the purpose ?

My doctor's literature advised to get the medic alert Bracelet or necklace .. . and I did just because I've never worn jewelry . ..and I actually bought 2 and made them into one in the style I liked . . . mine says:

No NG Tube

No NSAIDS or aspirin

Post Lapband surgery

I did it mostly for the "no tube down the throat" in case of an accident.

I have the Bracelet, also from laurens hope. Mine says

Ajustable Gastric Lap Band

No Blind NG Tubes

No NSAIDS

I also have a card that my doc gave me in my wallet that states i have the band, what size and the serial number on it , it came from Inamed.

I have never had a problem at a restaurant ordering from a kids menu . ONE Time someone asked me why i needed it ( because it was not their policy ) and i told them I had a procedure where i can not eat a whole plate or regular food , If needed i have a card from my doc I can show them . They said no its fine. Sometimes they think your trying to get out of paying a full meal .

Also i have ordered from the appetizer menu which are always smaller or most resturants have a Soup and salad combo or a soup and potatoe combo those are usually still too much .

HTH

Mindy

I wanted to add I spoke to my best friends brother about this recently he's a paramedic , he said the bracelets were a good idea. Not so much for the paramedics but for when your unconscious in the hospital , if your going to be tubed it will be in the hospital . He said anytime you have something out of the ordinary it is a good idea to have a Bracelet to ID it .

HTH

Mindy

I never thought of that. I think I will get one.

With the card I think it is handy for the restaurants that put on the menu no splitting or half portions. So far I have not tried it out but I have it incase I need it.

Great idea! I had been wondering how I would let someone know no breathing tube if I was in an accident and unable to communicate.

My doctor never mentiioned the no tube down the throat thing? Does it get stuck when someone tries to get it into the stomach? What if it's necessary in an accident?

Aimee

good question aimee....I never thought of that situation as well.

someone please respond!??!!

yup am here in nj and we recieived both am not sure about wearing the id bands thats up to u but i no i got the cards for the resturants

My doctor never mentiioned the no tube down the throat thing? Does it get stuck when someone tries to get it into the stomach? What if it's necessary in an accident?

Aimee

An NG tube is a tube that goes from your nose to your stomach . It has to pass through your stoma to your stomach , if they do not know its there they could find resistance and for lack of a better word JAM it and tear through the side of your stoma or esophagus . Now some people say " If im in that bad of shape why worry about your band" my thinking is, recovery is possible, and why chance MORE damage to yourself by only wearing a band that says to just be careful .

Others say " well your spouse or family well tell them you have the band" im sorry if im in an accident the last thing my husband is giong to think of is " be careful she's got a lap band" It might be the First thing I think of but now him .

So i chose to be better safe than sorry !

MIndy

an NG tube is NOT a breathing tube and its not something they would put in you in the ER

my advice ask your dr before spending the money

I dont think its something that you have to ask your doc about, I think its a matter of opinion for each individual . No its not a breathing tube. But it could be something that is needed at some point. My mom had one due to a bowel obstruction . She had hers but in during her surgery .

Mindy