Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5K Anyone want to start with me ?

I say push yourself too, Franji. I just REstarted the whole program after already completing it once, and week one was hard for me as well. Especially because it's really getting HOT in Texas! I was nervous about week 2, but really it's only 30 more seconds. It's not going to get easier until you MAKE it get easier and you can't make it get easier without pushing your body to extend your limits. I'm not saying to do anything drastic or hurt yourself, but this program is GOOD and ATTAINABLE. If you're anything like me, you might actually be shocked and amazed at how much you are capable of.

I've said this several times throughout this thread, but I will say it again: I'm a big proponent of the podcasts, because with that guy's voice on there, you can take the "choice" out of it. You just follow the program and do what the man on the headphones tells you to do. You walk when he says walk and run when he says run. If you don't quit unless you ABSOLUTELY can't go on, you will find that as the weeks go by, the longer run is not a frightening brick wall, but an exciting new challenge.

Just tell yourself you can stop whenever you want, but just DO WHAT THE MAN TELLS YOU and you'll be FINE!!!!!

Ok just got back from the park....

I blended up my slimfast high Protein and a banana and some ice and it was actually really gooood :thumbdown:

I drank it on the way to the park...

When I got to the park I did not pull in the space all the way so that I could use the "tire stopper??" to stretch the calves... I stood on it and let heels fall to stretch calves and stood on toes to stretch shins for a 10 count (X3)

I also did ankle rotations 10 clock wise and 10 counter clockwise.... (X3)

I kept my pace steady... a little slower then normal ... but steady....

and I felt my shin some but not really bad at all... and it walked out quite nicely... by the time I was on my way back to the car it was walked out completely... and felt good when I got back....

I did the same stretches when I got back to my car and drank a bottle of Water on the way home... and I felt alot better when I got out of the car when I got home...

I think I just need to concentrate on my "brisk walk" and resume the couch to 5K when I get that down pat.... at least I am getting my 3.5 miles in and am adding in another 3 minutes to my walk (making it 63 minutes total for 3.5 miles), with my heart rate still in the target heart rate area....

Sorry I am justifying to myself instead of feeling like I am failing and taking a step backwards....

thanx for the help and letting me whine and babble

Kim

Edited by Huggie Bear

good for you kim..

if you look back through this thread - i whined a BUNCH, so have at it...btw - i repeated A LOT of wks in this program. when the body didn't like what it was doing; i modified my workout or just plain took a break.

stranger - it is HOT, actually really humid up this way. went for a run this AM outside (which i normally don't do - but had to be home all day for some deliveries) and came home SOAKED.

didn't do a full 3m - roughly 2.5m; i still struggle with getting bored while running. i'm amazed i can keep moving but my ADD gets me off track & distracted:)

Hey Tracy I see your in San Marcos !!! Im in BUDA !!!

Mindy

i'm only in san marcos for 3 more days. moving back home to killeen. so sad. :thumbup:

if it works believe me I will stick with it... anything to make my shins feel like they are not going to blow up!!!

hopefully if you stretch will and work on your shins you'll start seeing an improvement soon. i was always really bad about it, and then i'd try to jog/walk and 10 minutes in i'd feel like my shins were about to produce an alien baby.

if it doesn't work for you immediately, keep at it. it can only help. and one thing to give you hope. once you drop a little weight, it might get even better. i jogged for the first time in a while yesterday, and not only did i make it through my intervals, my shins didn't hurt at all! i stretched really well, but i'm also 20 lbs down. it makes a difference. once you get banded and lose a few lbs, you'll probably notice an improvement in your shins, too.

I say push yourself too, Franji. I just REstarted the whole program after already completing it once, and week one was hard for me as well. Especially because it's really getting HOT in Texas! I was nervous about week 2, but really it's only 30 more seconds. It's not going to get easier until you MAKE it get easier and you can't make it get easier without pushing your body to extend your limits. I'm not saying to do anything drastic or hurt yourself, but this program is GOOD and ATTAINABLE. If you're anything like me, you might actually be shocked and amazed at how much you are capable of.

I've said this several times throughout this thread, but I will say it again: I'm a big proponent of the podcasts, because with that guy's voice on there, you can take the "choice" out of it. You just follow the program and do what the man on the headphones tells you to do. You walk when he says walk and run when he says run. If you don't quit unless you ABSOLUTELY can't go on, you will find that as the weeks go by, the longer run is not a frightening brick wall, but an exciting new challenge.

Just tell yourself you can stop whenever you want, but just DO WHAT THE MAN TELLS YOU and you'll be FINE!!!!!

Hi Stranger, and Whosyadaddy,

Thanks for the encouragement. I just completed session one of week two, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I can honestly say that I probably would have just repeated week one, if you two hadn't given me a little push, so thanks again :thumbup::smile::thumbup:!

Stranger, I tried to download the podcast, but it seems to download in QuickTime, and to convert it to iTunes, it appears as if I need to pay $29.00 to upgrade to "QuickTime Pro," -- do I have to do this? Or am I doing something wrong?

Free would be a lot nicer than $29.99, if at all possible............

Hmmm...yeah, it's definitely free. You know what? I think the best way to do it is to search for it through your iTunes. Get in iTunes, then go the iStore, then do an iSearch for "couch to 5k" or "running podcast" or "ullreys" (that's the name of the guy who did it) or "coolrunnings" (that's the name of the website where the program is).

One of those SHOULD work...you'll see it, all 9 weeks.

Hope that helps.

oh, btw....congrats on starting week 2!!! I knew you could do it!

Here ya go

MP3 Podcasts

Or as Stranger said you can get them off itunes

Mindy

Hi Mindy,

Thanks :hurray:! Unfortunately the Ullery's website was the one that was downloading in QuickTime (not sure why, but probably something I'm doing wrong).

So in case anyone encounters the same problem I had, you can find it through the iTunes store as Stranger suggested BUT when you find it, you have to click on "See All" in the upper right hand corner of the page because the first screen only offers you the option to download week nine.

Thanks a lot for the help finding this Stranger :hurray:!

Thanks for saving me $30 too :hurray::smile::thumbup:!!!!

This podcast will be very helpful because up until now, I have been timing myself by fiddling around with the stopwatch feature on my iPod.

The guy who made these is great -- huh? What a generous thing to do and share with others!!!:cry_smile:

It's going to be a whole new experience. Like I said...you won't run and think about stopping. You'll teach yourself to think about other things besides stopping--then just stop when he says. I mean, really, it helps physically and mentally!

It's going to be a whole new experience. Like I said...you won't run and think about stopping. You'll teach yourself to think about other things besides stopping--then just stop when he says. I mean, really, it helps physically and mentally!

Wow Stranger, you are so right about this!!! I used the Podcast for the first time today, and it makes all the difference. His music isn't exactly what I would have picked (I would have liked something peppier with more base), but that Podcast sure does make it easier to focus on your workout.

I also realized that I was probably running to fast and hard for the level I'm at. I listened to what he said about running at a pace where you could still talk, which I was not doing before. Before, I was basically running as fast as I could without really realizing it. The workout was so much easier today. In fact I (almost) enjoyed it!!!

You all are inspiring. I was looking on the site for a "how to begin running group!" I had been a steady walker and for some reason my exercise regime has gone down the toilet! what is the program you all follow?? I could really need some help.

Kim, where in VA? I have been reading all about the Marine Half Marathon this weekend and have this urge to get my butt moving, running.. maybe next year I can do it!! I know some folks running and I am jealous that I am so stuck!

My weight loss has been very slow and I know it is age and lack of exercise. now with the weather finally changing it is the ideal time!

I am excited to find this thread! I went back and read some pages, and you are all amazing.