Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5K Anyone want to start with me ?

For the past 2 weekends, I have run/walked a 5k. I've been working out (skiing in Jan to April, stationary bike Jan to April, swimming Feb to June, and Road bike April to June). I set a goal to run a 5k within 1 yr of surgery (12/6/07). I started jogging in early May as well. Small runs and alot of walks. A week ago I ran 2.5k without walking, then walked a bit, ran alittle more and finally finished the 5k. This morning I knew I had to run at least 1/2 of the 5k to keep pace with last week. I reached the 1/2 way point and pointed to my marker as I turned around. I yelled and pointed at my marker, "You are EASY!!" Then I continued to run and pick out markers that I knew I could reach. As I passed each one, I yelled and pointed "You are EASY!!" I saw my truck in the distance and told myself, "That is EASY!!!" Guess what? I made it!!! And it was EASY!! Ok, it wasn't. But I sure had myself convinced while I was doing it. I know that so much of fitness is Mind over Matter. I am strong, I am powerful, I overcome!!! I am a 5k runner!!!!

In 2 weeks I will be competing against myself in a Sprint Triathlon in Hyrum, UT. I will probably be the biggest Clydsdale in the race, but I WILL FINISH!!!!! My goal has always been about Fitness and Health, with the added benefit of weight loss.

I ran a 1/2 Marathon in 1981 at the age of 15. For the past 26 years, I have let other issues get in my Health/Fitness way. I no longer have excuses! It is time to live life again. The interesting thing that I'm finding is: Working out is a blast!!!!!!

Good luck to everyone else who is doing the Couch 2 5k. YOU CAN DO IT!! Yes, I am yelling. JFDI! Just Freaking Do It!!!!

Bravo Chris!!!! :tongue2::clap::smile::clap::scared2::clap::crying::wub::smile::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

What an incredibly uplifting and inspiring post -- and Congratulations on running 5K!!!

I'm going to try that tonight when I to another session of Couch to 5K picking out a marker and thinking "You are Easy" as I pass it. That's a great idea -- I bet it really does work well!!!

wow good advice there . I like it. Maybe i should try it. Good luck Tonight Frani!!!!

Big News i wanted to share with you guys as you have been with me since the start.

On Sunday i offically became a Triathlete!!!! MY first ever. I completed the Green Bay Triathlon. What an amazing feeling.

Whosya!!! fantastic accomplishment!

You've been such a giving / supportive friend on these threads - it's nice to send ya good wishes, your such a stud now!!:tongue2:

congrats UT LB! i love your marker ID, i have such adult ADD that my ipod can't get me focused running some days:eek:

Thanks Luluc!! I think your fantastic too.

I always watch your progress...Keep hard at it lady!!

(thanks for calling me a Stud too) LOL

Congrats, whosya!!! Man, I've said it a million times, but I never stop believing it's true: YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!

My running buddy are starting week 6 tonight. I did that week 5, day 3 (20 minute) run on Saturday at the gym, and I was setting little time milestones for myself, much like UT LB's markers. Except that I'm particularly keen on the words "sinch" and "sinchy." (I don't even know how to spell it.) It's so funny when I run another minute or two and say to myself, "Eh, this is sinchy!" I make myself giggle a little and keep on going. The time ended up going by like a breeze, and I even ran the last two minutes at 6.0 mph! Wow!

So, tonight is day one of week six and it's only supposed to get up to 96* today. UGH! Wish me luck!

thanks stranger!!!! Good luck tonight!!!!!!!!! you can make it!!!!!

I was thinnking when it was pouring wiht rain i would rather this than 95F!

Good luck Tonight Frani!!!!

Big News i wanted to share with you guys as you have been with me since the start.

On Sunday i offically became a Triathlete!!!! MY first ever. I completed the Green Bay Triathlon. What an amazing feeling.

Wow Daddy!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

:P:party::party::party::party::party::party:

I am so proud of you!!! You are an inspiration to all!!!

It's me again :P!

I wanted to update on my Couch to 5K progress. I did do three sessions of week five BUT I did the first session (3, 5 minute intervals with a 3 minute walk in between) three times rather than moving into the 8 & 20 minute runs. Since I am traveling up to Miami tomorrow and having surgery on Friday, I wanted to push myself a bit, but not too much -- so that was my compromise.

I will need to take at least a month or 6 weeks off from running, but I'll be back. Good luck to everyone, keep up the good work and I will talk to you all again soon!!!!

Way to go whosyadaddy!!! I can't wait to feel that rush of finishing!!! How was the open Water swim? How was your transition? Did I catch wind that you shaved your back for the wetsuit? I am going to get a wetsuit for my swim as well. Where did you get yours?

My swim is 750m. I have been swimming it weekly in a local pool. Did they have a place for you to change in some privacy? I'm getting more comfortable seeing myself without a shirt, but am not ready to spring that on the public yet!!

I'm so excited to do this!! It's crazy how this has motivated me recently. I've heard that once it gets in your blood, it is there forever! Hopefully this will help me reach other goals I have set for myself.

Tell us all about your "Mental experience" while doing your Tri. I know I'd love to hear what your mind and heart were telling you the whole time. Did you talk back to your inner voice?

Have a great night!!!!

UT LB Loser: Wow ! there is so much to tell you. i would nt want all these ppl getting bored on a diff subject! Msg me and ill send you all the details

Fo r the past year, I've really been making an effort to remove the word TRY from my vocablulary. It is difficult, but I've have done my best. So I was talking to a gal at work yesterday. I mentioned that I was going to Tri on Saturday the 21st. She corrected me. It was very cool to tell her that Tri is now in my vocabulary, just a different spelling. She was blown away. I walked away saying, "I will Tri!!!"

My ankle is a bit sore yesterday and today. Slight swelling. I will bike again tomorrow, but I think the run will have to wait for the weekend again.

Congratulations, Utah! I'm starting to think about trying one out myself! I've got the running part pretty much down pat, I'm thinking I will conquer swimming next -- discovered a free city pool that's actually clean last weekend. Last stop, biking. I do love to cycle, but I'm a little scared of it right now. It's so hard!

I LOVE Triathlons! I have a dualthlon coming up. 5k run 30k bike 5k run. Today i put in a 10k in 60 mins. And my new best 5k is 28:26.

wooooo hoooooo