Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

F***ing Plateau

Does my body hate me?! Anytime I have lost weight in the past few years, I get to around 250 and then, BAM, there it stops. That is the point I get frustrated. Here I am, almost at 250, and I've stalled again. It seems that 250 is my setpoint, if there is such a thing. Any thoughts or words of encouragement to help me get past this hump? I just want to see a middle 4 on my scale. I am determined to see that one little number. Thank you all for the great support this forum gives me. I love coming here!

GO GOTAL! You can do this.

I had a 6 month plateau. I was swearing by the end of it too. All I have for you is support, a pat on the back and encouragement to do whatever it takes.

I found that with each pound lost, I had to step it up a bit. Really watch my intake and step it up at the gym.

Plateaus are natural, but they too will come to an end eventually.

Hang in there Cotal.You will get there. Right now i am going up and down the same two pounds for several days now. But everything changes sooner or later. Donna

I share your frustration as I'm on a plateau at the moment.

But it will end.

So I'm told.

By everybody.

:bored

Whenever I plateau I do the "plateau busting diet" ... it's a 10 day diet, however, just one day on it breaks the plateau for me :biggrin1:

I posted a thread on it a couple months ago in the food Forum ... some people seem to disagree with it ... basically it's just like Atkins

How to break a plateau

#1 - Do this for 10 days to break a plateau

#2 - Drink 2 quarts of Water a day

#3 - You must have 45 grams of Protein supplement and all your

vitamins/minerals supplements each day

#4 - You may consume up to 3 oz of the following high Protein foods,

5x a day

beef

pork

chicken

turkey

lamb

fish

eggs

low fat cheese

cottage cheese

plain yogurt or artificially sweetened (?)

Peanut Butter

beans/legumes

You may also have:

sugar free popsicles

tea or coffee

sugar free soda

sugar free Jello

broths/bullion (sp?)

crystal light drinks

#5 - If it's not on the list, you can't have it for 10 days!!!!

#6 - Keep a food diary and try to get up to 30 mins of exercise daily<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I learn doing weight watchers that you have to make adjustmentsfor every 20lbs you lose your calories intake change the amount of calories that your body burn on its own changes you have to change up exercise every 3-4 weeks to shock your body again, so make sure you are burning at least 500 more cal. than you are eating .

I am plateau-ing too right now. I think I need another fill because I feel like my portions are WAY too big. My first 50 came off so easy now I am STUCK at 225.

I am going to try the Plateau Busting Diet and up my exercise a little more and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Relax Renee,

You've lost 32 pounds in less than 2 months!

Girl, that is not a plateau. Lots of people lose a lot up front (including a lot of Water weight). Later, when the scale isn't budging it looooks like you are not losing fat, but you are. If you are exercising, you are probably just gaining back a little Water and maybe some muscle. RELAX. Don't try to tinker with the little stuff. You are in this for the long haul and you will start losing again soon enough. Don't beat yourself up.

We have almost the same surgery date and starting weight. I started like a ROCKET and slowed down, but I'm not worried at all. Time is on mys side. I never lost more than 20 pounds in a YEAR - EVER!!! Stop and smell the roses.

Renee, is your ticker accurate that you've been at 251 since before your Lapband surgery? I was thinking that if you had lost all that weight since being banded, there's no plateau. But looking at your history, I agree with you. This article was really interesting and maybe it might help: WeightWatchers.com - Weight-Loss Plateaus - Visitor

Good luck! I hope something can get things jump-started again and your body moving downwards on the scale!

Renee you are doing great!!! Don't let anything side track you least of your own critique of how you are doing....I am my own worst critic...LOL

You have lost an amazing amount of weight in a very short time. We have nearly the same stats...I am also 5'6" and I weighed 10 more pounds than you at my highest weight and I feel like I have done an amazing job.

True I want so badly to be below 240 again, I can taste it.....that is 17 more pounds to go.....for me. I know I can do this, I am working my butt off in the gym and I am eating as much Protein as I can get in each day. I am still not drinking enough, it is so tuff for me, I am always feeling full and so it stops me from wanting Water, but I know I am getting dehydrated because of my lips and my weakness.

I push and push to get in all of my Water. I can still here the nurtrionist telling me that some people have to adjust their schedule so that they can eat and drink the amount needed, by either staying up later or getting up earlier. I already get up at 4:30 am so I am not getting up any earlier....LOL

Make sure you are logging your food somewhere...I think that helps me to stay on track I truly do.....FitDay.com is what I use now. Our Bariatric program has its own software but they have kinks in it and so I just started using FitDay because I heard about it on here.....I live by it now.

I hope things start moving for you again soon.....Hugz!!

Three things work....

1. Log everything you put in your mouth on a program like FitDay or SparkPeople....and do it EVERYDAY. You'd be shocked at how quickly those calories can zoom up when you are not watching. You become hypersensitive to what you eat and tend to think more about what goes in your mouth.

2. Weigh every day. You get sensistized to it. Don't weigh every day expecting the scales to drop...just weight to get a correlation between what you are intaking as food and how your body reacts to it. The scales will fluctuate every day, a little up, a little down, but over the long haul, if you adjust your intake and watch it you'll be able to figure out how your body works, and even though you may not feel like a lot if happening, when you go back and look at the last 30-60 days, you should be able to see a change. But rather than going along and seeing the same thing day after day, adjust your intake and see how your body responds.

3. Set MINI-GOALS you can attain. Not 5-10-15 pounds by thus and so....maybe only 1...or maybe 2. Leave it at that...and then MAKE that mini-goal. It will give you many small successes. That equals incentive.

I agree with Kristin and Kacee,

FitDay is fabulous. I have been using it off and on for 3 years and it is fascintating to look back and see what worked and what didn't.

Also, I am a daily weigher (actually in the morning and again at night. I don't weigh with expectations of how much I expect to lose, I do it purely as a science experiment. Seeing all the fluctuations gives me confidence that if I have a "increase" or a "no loss" on my official weekly weigh-in days it is nothing to freak out about. It's the long run that counts.

You are doing great. Hang in there.

i hear ya cotal. i went in for the 5th fill this morning. the last one was back in october. i still weigh the same 201lbs. although i was really eating (you know the holidays and all!!) by the way why do we really have to eat more during the holidays? its almost like a taboo for everybody? hmmmmm anyway, i was happy that i didn't gain, but now i really have to put a pep in my step and its been 6 months for me as well.