Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hilary starting pre-op diet

Tomorrow is the day I start my pre-op diet, on Optifast, for two weeks. YaY!!

I haven't gone crazy over Christmas but certainly have not done without either, so hope I will not find myself craving food.< /p>

I am planning to keep myself very busy with craft and doing my long overdue tax during these next two weeks.

I am feeling very excited about my op date on the 10th January.:clap2:

Hope you have all enjoyed Christmas. :hungry:

Good Luck Hilary!!

I started my pre-op diet on the 24th. And I'm having a terrible time. I think it's because I'd been sick the days leading up to it so the first day I was soooo hungry. I did better on Tuesday (christmas!), but ate more veggies than Protein shakes. Hopefully, I've got things under control now. It's a tough adjustment though. I prefer the chewing of the food versus this drinking of the shakes. But I know it's all worth it!

Good luck with your first day!!!

Thank you comepickmeup. I have my great niece's first birthday party tomorrow and will not eat their meal of course but have promised my niece to have a taste of birthday cake (It will only be a taste though and I will see if I can carefully put the rest on my son's plate!!)

I think you were very brave and did okay having to start the day before Christmas. Well done. When and where are you being banded?

Yeah, I really was all psyched up about starting the diet on Christmas Eve. But then getting sick the Friday before, just threw me all out of whack. Not necessarily the great start I was looking for.

I'm sure the TASTE of cake won't hurt you...stay strong! Put the rest on the sons plate. haha. Mmmm cake. It's on tv all the time! lol. See, I feel like a crazy person these past two days. I never even noticed food on TV before yesterday.

I'll be banded on Jan 7th in New York at NYU. How about you?

Hello, I am half way through my preop diet and it is tough, but doable. I keep telling myself I am half way there. I have enough energy I am just hungry so I am really looking forward to the band taking away the hunger part. I guess that is the point, though! Hang in there. It is only a couple of weeks!

Chrisann, Gingerbug thanks for the encouragement. We will get there and then soon this strange diet will be a mere vague memory of the past. Have a great day.

How's everyone doing today?!?! I just finished a Slim-Fast, some green Beans, and some low sodium broth. Blah. The broth was no good at all. I think the pre-op diet is more difficult than the post-op!!

Chrisann: you're almost there!!!! Are you so excited?! I went for all the presurgical stuff today. I'm still hungry these days and want some meat! lol. Is week two ANY easier? What is the smoothie you've been having midday?

smoothie King in Penn Station has this Gladiator Smoothie. I spoke with the nutritionist and she said I could have one a day.

300 calories, no fat, no cholestrol, 40 carbs (I think) and 45 grams Protein. You pick the two fruits you want in there. I really like pineapple and blueberry. But it does hold you for 5 hours or so.

I had beef broth last night with celery, carrots, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms. I put in a little garlic powder, oregano and a pinch of crushed red pepper, and black pepper. I let it simmer for about a hour. I fudged a little and put less than a half a teaspoon of parmesan cheese. It was great.

I think the second week really has been easier than the first, I am not looking to eat frozen meat or furniture.

haha...frozen meat or furniture! Love it. That is how I feel! It really has been a little more difficult than I anticipated. But nice to know next week will be a little smoother.

I will definitely be stopping by smoothie King while I'm out tomorrow!!! And your broth does sound good. I might give that a go as well! I know I'm nuts, but I'd never had just broth before! I was just feeling lazy tonight and didn't want to put forth too much effort.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Well almost end of my second day of Optifast today and feel great. Had my evening chocolate food bar, and earlier (mid afternoon) had my jelly and a bit of fruit then at 5pm a cup of miso Soup. Still have my green vegies to eat a bit later and then that is me done for the day. When I feel hungry I have a couple of glasses of Water and feel full again. Those smoothies sound wonderful Chrisann, shame we don't have those Smoothie King places in Australia. All the very best for your imminent banding too.

Hi Hilary,

Not long now.:whoo: Are you allowed diet drinks (diet coke etc) on your pre-op diet? I was and I found that Fanta light mixed with vanilla Opti tasted just like an orange spider, so you could try adding your favourite diet soda. I also added things like WW diet berry cordial and diet lime cordial - tasted like a milk shake. If you are allowed to us Tony Ferguson shakes they taste great frozen and eaten like icecream. I found the chocolate dessert tasted great with either coconut or orange essence added (the orange makes it taste like a giant jaffa). I also made my vege's into a salsa with celery sticks for between meal Snacks - about all that got me through the work day.

It's worth sticking to the diet (although I did fall off the wagon once or twice) as it does make the op easier and recovery faster.

Good luck for the 10th.

Danna:clap2:

Hi Hilary, well the day is coming soooooooooooooo close now, I didnt have to do the Optifast so cant relate to that, but the post banding diet was heaps easier than i expected, i think it could have had something to do with me feeling just plain yuk -like morning sickness!!! for a few weeks. By the way you know me from Melbourne!!! finally found where you hang out. take care my friend.

Hi Hilary,

I too am being banded on January 10th in Aurora, Colorado.

I will start my pre-op diet on New Years Day, I have to do a low-carb for ten days prior to the banding. I am so excited and also a bit hesitant...I know this is for the best.

Best of luck too you!!

Charlotte