Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Healthy food expense



Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, has anyone noticed that everything has risen in prices even the organic products and unhealthy foods too, why is the economy so bad >

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Rose perez said:

Hi everyone, has anyone noticed that everything has risen in prices even the organic products and unhealthy foods too, why is the economy so bad >

Airfare and hotels: 36% and 31%, since April 2021

Gas is up 22%

Electricity and piped gas are up 21% and 26%, respectively

and if you pay rent; its up 20% in the last two years.

Because of all the above the cost of food has gone up 20% since April 2021.Prices have increased year over year since 2021.

No comment as to the "why" of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rose perez said:

Yeah but mostly recently is that all food increased in cost

I've noticed the economy and prices have been bad for 3 years, I'm not sure why you're just now noticing it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never said i didn't notice, i mean unhealthy foods are also expensive now, before only usually healthy or organic foods were very expensive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Rose perez said:

I never said i didn't notice, i mean unhealthy foods are also expensive now, before only usually healthy or organic foods were very expensive

Probably because the cost of gas, storage, transport, fertilizers, ..everything..etc..eventually has to be passed onto consumers.

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prices have always gone up. A price increase in one area drives the price up in another.It’s an accumulative cycle. Consider how a price increase in electricity affects the cost a business incurs just in keeping their doors open. So they raise their prices to offset the more they pay for electricity. Then wages go up because people are struggling to pay their electricity bill. Wages go up so employers have to increase their prices to compensate for the wage increase. The wages go up for the electricity companies too so they increase their charges and prices go up again.

Recently in Australia, the government bought in a wage increase that anyone working a public holiday is paid triple time (up from double time). Consequently, nothing is open today Good Friday (except churches) because they simply can’t afford to pay their staff if they open. The fall out is greater though. Weekly sales are down so they may have to offset this with an increase in charges in some items because they still have costs. The shop is closed but they still are using electricity (refrigeration, lighting, security, etc.). They still pay rent or rates on the property for the day they’re closed. They still pay insurance on the property & product. There may lose product (food going bad). Casual workers aren’t paid for days they don’t work, so less income coming into those households for the week. Some businesses also have to pay a payroll tax here. If your payroll (wages) is higher than a certain amount you are taxed. So wages go up, you pay more tax & consequently increase the cost of your product or service.

And they’re usually percentage increases so as the years pass and prices go up the percentage increase is greater.

And round and round it goes.

Here endth my lesson on this Holy day. LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Prices have always gone up. A price increase in one area drives the price up in another.It’s an accumulative cycle. Consider how a price increase in electricity affects the cost a business incurs just in keeping their doors open. So they raise their prices to offset the more they pay for electricity. Then wages go up because people are struggling to pay their electricity bill. Wages go up so employers have to increase their prices to compensate for the wage increase. The wages go up for the electricity companies too so they increase their charges and prices go up again.

Recently in Australia, the government bought in a wage increase that anyone working a public holiday is paid triple time (up from double time). Consequently, nothing is open today Good Friday (except churches) because they simply can’t afford to pay their staff if they open. The fall out is greater though. Weekly sales are down so they may have to offset this with an increase in charges in some items because they still have costs. The shop is closed but they still are using electricity (refrigeration, lighting, security, etc.). They still pay rent or rates on the property for the day they’re closed. They still pay insurance on the property & product. There may lose product (food going bad). Casual workers aren’t paid for days they don’t work, so less income coming into those households for the week. Some businesses also have to pay a payroll tax here. If your payroll (wages) is higher than a certain amount you are taxed. So wages go up, you pay more tax & consequently increase the cost of your product or service.

And they’re usually percentage increases so as the years pass and prices go up the percentage increase is greater.

And round and round it goes.

Here endth my lesson on this Holy day. LOL!

Exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, gonna keep my opinion to myself about the "why" the economy is so bad right now, and even over the last 3ish years. Not gonna go there on here lol

But one thing I've noticed for YEARS now is that healthy and organic foods have always cost more. It seems to have gotten worse lately, but that contributes to why people tend to consume unhealthy foods. It's cheaper, easier to purchase, more accessible, and have better sales and catchy advertising and flavors. Why healthy foods are always so expensive, I don't know. It's horrible and unfair, but it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

Why healthy foods are always so expensive, I don't know. It's horrible and unfair, but it is what it is.

basically, "healthy" foods are more expensive to produce and distribute, as well as have a much shorter shelf life than the processed stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t forget you’ll be eating a lot less so your food bill won’t be as high. And you won’t be buying as many or any treats (chips, sweets, carbonated drinks, etc.) any more. Another saving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ChunkCat

      I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

        You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

      2. NickelChip

        Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

      3. BabySpoons

        So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

    • BeanitoDiego

      I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

        That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

    • eclarke

      Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

      April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

      Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 1 reply
      1. kezbeth

        I may have to have gall bladder surgery during my weight loss surgery. Not thrilled about it either but do not want 2 recovery times. Just want it over with.

        Thanks for your post. I may need to rethink my decision... :(

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×