Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your weight fluctuate for no reason ?

I've been at a steady weight now for months. ( It's a darn stall ....gggrrrr ) I haven't weighed myself for weeks but today I stepped on the scale expecting to see the same number and I gained 4 pounds !! HUH ? I'm panicking . All these thoughts are running through my head "am I eating too much? am I not exercising enough? did I eat the wrong thing ? " I see my doctor on Monday and I'm embarrassed to show up with a weight gain . My first reaction is to starve myself till Monday ,but I know that's part of my old way of thinking when I was yo yo dieting. I'm wondering if your weight fluctuates for no reason. Is this a normal thing?

You can have daily fluctuations of weight simply from Water weight. Eating salt, menstrual cycles etc. That's why I only weigh once a week but even then, weight could be up on that weigh day for any of those reasons.

Obviously overeating will do it. But I think you would know if you were doing that. Hopefully you are not one of the sleevers who lose 30 pounds then weight loss stops. It's usually at that time when doctors go the Ozempic, diet pill route.

Or.. looks like you only have 29 pounds to go to hit goal weight. Those last few pounds will come off slowly. I have around 55 more to lose and expect it will become a much slower process now. But I sure hate those stalls too. If you are not seeing any loss in weeks or months, tell your doc/nutritionist and come up with a new plan. GL

Weight fluctuations are definitely normal. Salt intake, Water retention, hormones, even how much food is still in your digestive system, all influence your weight at any given moment. I'm pre-op, but I traveled last week and just the change to salty foods and restaurant meals was enough to make me gain nearly 10lbs. I thought it was from the unhealthy food and was so distraught, but it was almost all Fluid retention because less than a week at home eating my normal healthy diet and it was all gone. Just keep track of what you're eating, but don't starve yourself! That will just cause more problems.

Perfectly normal. You’ve always fluctuated & always will. You probably never noticed it before because you may not have weighed yourself as regularly as you do now. You may also discover over time you may have a pretty constant fluctuation rate. (My stabilised weight fluctuation is about a kilogram.)

Yep, hormones, Fluid retention, pooping/not pooping, etc. can affect the number on the scales. Add to that we don’t eat the exact same things in the exact same amounts every day. Same with drinking & the activity we do. Even our general health can affect our weight even having a cold.

Your doctor has seen it all. Be honest with them at your appointment. That way they can offer you their best advice. Do you still see your dietician? A visit with them may also help to ensure you are on the right path. It can be easy to miss something. Do you track your food? If not it may be worth doing it for a couple of weeks.

All the best.