Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Food Aversions Bat Man!

Y'all, I know I cannot be the only one who is having severe food aversions. To stuff that I typically like! I'm 9 weeks post VSG. I brought some good turkey lunch meat, and some edamame with me for lunch. It got lunch time an I didn't really want it, but decided to eat is, as I didn't need to go out and try to hunt something down to eat. So I put a little chive cream cheese on my turkey and make a roll up and steamed my edamame (in the pods). I ate some turkey and a few edamame, and instantly started to gag. Anyone else? Or am I just a weirdo?

food aversion are quite common so your so not the only one. I love vegetables & couldn't wait to have my first meal with my favourite vegetables. Nope they were awful. I found the only ones I could tolerate were cauliflower, green Beans & cabbage. The oddest thing was smoked salmon. Before surgery I rarely had it as I found it too rich. After surgery it was fine & I often had it with cream cheese rolled around wedges of cucumber but a few weeks later it was a nope too rich for me again. So you can never tell what your tummy will or won’t like like fir the first couple of months.

It’s a good opportunity to try foods you never enjoyed before. You may develop a real taste for them. Personally I embraced the aversion to sweet and never really introduced it back again. Don’t really miss it either.

I expect it's very common. Post-surgery, I can no longer eat coconut milk, coconut cream or anything coconut based. I used to love laksas and thai curries, but now they'll make me sick. Can't tolerate more than a small bite of bread or potato. None of these things has improved even a smidge and I'm almost two years out, so I've accepted that they're pretty much off the menu for good.

Pre surgery I loved salmon and chicken. I could eat them every meal of every day. I wasted so much money continuing to re try them after surgery. I hated them so much. If I hadn't loved them so much, I wouldn't keep retrying. Nearly two years out and I can eat them but would rather have something/ anything else.

there were/are times when i spend i good amount of time making something to eat for myself, or basically 1/2 a day preparing a multi-layered/multi-course meal for the fam, or painstakingly pour over a menu to choose something to order, and be all excited to eat it then...nah. and end up putting the food in the fridge and/or watch whomever's with me eat it.

i have been known to take a bite out of something i thought would be delicious only spit it out in a napkin...because it wasn't.

it all evens out though, with my hungry days.

I know loads of us do experience aversions but I didn't at all. My tastes are much the same as pre-surgery. I would have loved to lose my sweet tooth but sadly I think it will always be with me. I eat very very little sugar now but when I do it's like 'hello old friend...' 😈