Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weak Bariatric Vitamin Brands? Doesn't Make Sense...

Hi everyone. I'm still looking for new Vitamins, especially chewable (no soft gel). Is it me, or are these bariatric Vitamin brands super weak? fusion, ProCare, etc. have low amounts of vitamin B's, etc. I've always invested in high quality vitamins (Brain MD, others). The vitamins recommended by Cleveland Clinic even recommend a good amount of vitamin nutrients, but I don't find them in these bariatric brands. I realize I'd need to take numerous amounts of vitamins/day, but I'd have to take more than 10 Multivitamins in these brands. Thoughts?

I found BariLife one a day bariatric chewable vitamins and they had quite a bit of good stuff in them. I haven’t taken them post-surgery yet because it is too early, but the flavor wasn’t bad when I tried them prior to my sleeve. They upset my tummy a little, but I think I just needed to eat something first.

Edited by sleevedinthe817

I'm using the Bariatric Fusion Multivitamin chewable. I'm taking 1 three times throughout the day. I added a separate chewable B12, plus a chewable Iron, a chewable Biotin, and a chewable Calcium. The thing with the bypass is that because of the malabsorption, we need to take them several times a day because we don't absorb the way sleevers do. I am a revision from sleeve to bypass (20 days out). It won't do us any good to take a large amount of any Vitamin just once or twice a day because we won't absorb it anyway. We'll have better luck taking the regular amounts several times a day. This way, we give our bodies several opportunities to absorb some of the Vitamins we're consuming. Also, we shouldn't take iron and calcium together because they compete for absorption. Those should be taken at least 2-3 hours apart.

Edited by CarmenG

I use the bariatricpal chewable with Iron too. Same deal, $99 for a year supply. I suggest you order 1 bottle to make sure you like it. I took it before surgery and it didn't taste particularly good to me, but was OK so I ordered the year supply. After surgery, it makes me sick unless I take it with dairy. Problem is, Calcium interferes with iron absorption. I researched and talked to my pharmacist, and she says if I keep the calcium under 200mg then it's OK, it's levels over 200mg that are a problem. So, I take it with 4oz of fat free milk or 3oz of my Protein Drink to keep it under 200mg calcium.

I had the sleeve, so all I take is the 1 chewable in the am, and calcium twice a day later in the day. My bloodwork is OK.

I use Bari-Slim chewable Multi Vitamins. They have alot in them - except Calcium. I buy Caltrate to take along with the Multi-Vitamin. The orange Bari Slim flavor is great - I use that as my "candy" for the day . Here's where I get them :

https://www.amazon.com/BariSlim-Complete-Chewable-Bariatric-Multivitamin/dp/B081264LLH

I thought I had found the perfect bariatric Vitamin from Walgreens (Optifast Post Bariatric) but recently found out it's either completely out of stock or discontinued. So now I am on the search for a good RNY vitamin as well.

I was told too by my nutritionist that taking a chewable multiple times a day was better absorbed than taking a bunch of regular pill type Vitamins. At least for gastric bypass patients.

I need to figure it out soon since I only have a couple weeks supply left. The last thing I need is to become vitamin deficient and have my teeth breaking off like chalk. If I have to, I guess I'll stock up on Flintstone chewables. xD

Any Bariatric Vitamin should meet the ASMBS guidelines. More of anything does not always mean better and less does not always mean worse/lower quality. I personally take the ProCare 1x daily capsule (iron free, per my doctors orders based on my lab work) and have had perfect labs since surgery. I tolerate them well and know they meet the ASMBS guidelines.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback! I'm sharing my supplement requirements from my program (see attachment). They expect more than what the typical bariatric Vitamins offer, even if I were to take 2-3 per day. Plus my neurologist requires a daily minimum of 25mg of B6 - most don't come close to that, so I'll just take an additional B complex. I'm just surprised the dosages are so low in the vitamins.

I'm looking into each supplement suggested here, so I appreciate your input. I start my pre-op liquid diet tomorrow.

IMG_6909.jpeg

23 hours ago, Midwest Grateful said:

Hi everyone. I'm still looking for new Vitamins, especially chewable (no soft gel). Is it me, or are these bariatric Vitamin brands super weak? fusion, ProCare, etc. have low amounts of Vitamin B's, etc. I've always invested in high quality Vitamins (Brain MD, others). The vitamins recommended by Cleveland Clinic even recommend a good amount of vitamin nutrients, but I don't find them in these bariatric brands. I realize I'd need to take numerous amounts of vitamins/day, but I'd have to take more than 10 Multivitamins in these brands. Thoughts?

With the regular vitamins you were able to absorb everything in one dose. After surgery you don't absorb as much at one time. For example I was told anything over 500 mg of Calcium wouldn't be absorbed at a time. So with bariatric vitamins they need to break up the doses over the course of the day instead of taking it all at once. That's why they might seem like "weaker" vitamins.

20 minutes ago, kla7403 said:

With the regular Vitamins you were able to absorb everything in one dose. After surgery you don't absorb as much at one time. For example I was told anything over 500 mg of Calcium wouldn't be absorbed at a time. So with bariatric vitamins they need to break up the doses over the course of the day instead of taking it all at once. That's why they might seem like "weaker" vitamins.

Makes sense, and others have suggested the same. I do get it. When I'm required 3,000 IU (75 mcg) of D3 and a fusion chewable has 18.8 mcg, I'll take 4 chewables daily. It gets tougher with Biotin (required 3000 mcg and Fusion has 150 mcg), and B complex with Thiamine, for example. i'll ask my nutritionist in an upcoming appt. how they suggest I get enough if I'm unable to absorb large amounts. It's definitely a learning curb for me. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, Midwest Grateful said:

Makes sense, and others have suggested the same. I do get it. When I'm required 3,000 IU (75 mcg) of D3 and a fusion chewable has 18.8 mcg, I'll take 4 chewables daily. It gets tougher with Biotin (required 3000 mcg and fusion has 150 mcg), and B complex with Thiamine, for example. i'll ask my nutritionist in an upcoming appt. how they suggest I get enough if I'm unable to absorb large amounts. It's definitely a learning curb for me. Thanks!

I buy all my Vitamins from Bariatric Advantage. They have a chewable and capsules.

I recently reconnected with an old friend who I hadn't talked to in years. I saw I picture of him that he'd posted on his social media and reached out. He's been a great resource in sharing his experiences having had RNY a little over two years ago; he's lost half his body weight, is no longer pre-diabetic and is completely off the hypertension meds he had been on for years prior.

When we spoke about diet and supplements post-op, he said he'd been told by his team to take prenatal multivitamins. He takes two Equate (Walmart house brand) Prenatal Multivitamins each morning and for the past two years since his surgery, his bloodwork numbers have been perfect.

6000205607520.jpg

I started out with Celebrate chewable vitamins. Seems the numbers cover most of what your doctor recommends. No multi I've come across will include that much Biotin - I take a separate pill for that additional boost. And of course the calcium chews 3xs a day.

image.png.5351c48f9042ffb36149c8862384fdbe.png

Bariatric Advantage High ADEK chewable Multivitamin - High Potency Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, and Vitamin K Supplement for Bariatric Surgery Patients