Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I try a binder for my breasts?

As the weight is coming off, I’ve heard that compression garments can help guard against gravity. I’m losing a fair amount in my breasts, and I’m worried they’ll start sagging 😱

I know it won’t prevent loose skin entirely, but will a binder help with my breasts? Any suggestions for compression garments for upper and lower body? I’ve looked online for undergarments, but most of the things I’ve found are used for slimming under dresses and such. They didn’t *seem* like they’d word here but maybe? Any ideas welcome!

Be sure that you're not getting a garment called a binder for your breasts. These are garments usually used by trans men to reduce the appearance of the chest and are made of rigid fabric. They can cause damage to your breasts if they're not worn correctly and they often aren't particularly comfortable.

I use a compression top (because binders are expensive and nothing is going to flatten these anyway). They're stretchy and about the same price as a regular bra.

None of these types of garments prevent sagging, they just make you more comfortable.

Thanks @Nepenthe44 :) I'll look into the compression top. Do you recommend any brands or stores in particular?

TomboyX is the only company that I know that makes the specific style of top that I use, which has heavy compression. I think they're available at Target if you want to try before buying. It's not to prevent sagging, it's to support and reduce the appearance of one's chest and keep it from moving.

Compression clothing, including tanks and shirts, is often sold at sporting goods stores. I've not tried any of this type of clothing yet.

The loose breast skin you end up with isn’t from gravity. It’s not new droopiness. Your skin has already been stretched from gravity & the weight of your breast. That’s been happening for years. They won’t be hanging down any further than they were before surgery. Maybe a little less because you’ll be smaller. My breasts droop the same as they did before surgery but they are empty in the top section because of the fat that’s been lost. The bottom of my breasts are still relatively full. I went from a 18E to a 10E for the base of my breasts but I sometimes stuff the upper part of the cup with tissues because of the pleating from having more fabric in the upper cup than I need.

Plastic surgery will be your only solution if it ends up bothering you because they’ll remove your excess skin & lift your breasts.

I do recommend getting yourself properly fitted as you lose weight & drop down bra sizes. I had upper back pain because I continued to wear my old bras for too long. It was fixed by buying bras that actually fit. I had to do it three times before my weight stabilised (18E-12G-10F/G-10E). I did buy some cropped bralet styles from Bonds (your Haynes) for around the house after the second refit.

I basically live in sports bras...if you want something that resembles a "normal bra" I would seek out styles labeled as minimizers because they offer a small amount of compression.

Man, my boobs are non existent now lol I went from a double D to pancakes. I live in sports bras and just dream about when I have my skin surgery, boob job, and Tummy Tuck LOL

Edited by SleeveToBypass2023

yep. my boobs went from droopy potato sacks to droopy EMPTY potato sacks, LOL.

I did get a breast lift about a year after WLS and now i have perky 16-year old boobs that don't need bras to stay perky.

18 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

yep. my boobs went from droopy potato sacks to droopy EMPTY potato sacks, LOL.

I did get a breast lift about a year after WLS and now i have perky 16-year old boobs that don't need bras to stay perky.

Girrrrl.....you're speaking my love language right now.....