Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining and terrified

I am new and have looked over every thread and searched every which way. I am 3 of 6 supervised diet program and keep gaining. I do not understand why. I am eating right, no cheating, exercising to the best of my ability (i get horrible headaches and dizzy), taking the Vitamins but still gaining. I have Carefirst BCBS VA and looked at the medical policies required for the surgery. NO WHERE does it say I have to loose weight during the diet phase. I obviously cant seem to do it alone thats why im going for the surgery. Im 5'4 with a BMI of 49.7 as of this mornings weighing. my insurance policies say i need a BMI over 40 and psych eval. Anyone have experience with Carefirst rejecting due to weight gain? I am at my limit and stressing so bad which I am sure is adding to my weight gain. Hoping for surgery in June 2023 and looking for others experience and help. thanks in advance, and I am sorry if this asked before. I havent been able to find anything with this carrier.

In general it's true that you don't have to actually lose weight on a supervised diet program for it to "count" toward your surgery. However, I don't know about Carefirst specifically. Perhaps you could check with them now to see what their policy is so you know what what to expect--and hopefully give you some comfort that you will ultimately be approved for surgery.

One thing I would say is that your diet is by far the most important factor in whether you lose weight, now or later. Exercise plays almost no role. (I did not exercise at all during the first year after surgery and lost more weight than I expected.). Perhaps you could check with the dietician on your team (if there is one) to ensure that you are not doing something to impede your progress.

For whatever it's worth, I did a supervised diet for six months and lost only 20 pounds, which isn't great. However, my surgeon and insurance company didn't care about the results, only that I had done it.

I gained weight on one of the diets I went on in the past. I was eating a lot of fruit and they have natural sugars, but they are still sugars. Also, the doctor told me I had the metabolism of a hibernating bear. Talk to your nutritionist and go over the food you are eating and if it might be sabotaging your diet.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, and I know that everyone is different...I have had more success with a "clean" diet: hard boiled eggs for Breakfast, grilled or baked chicken with a veggie for lunch and dinner. Whenever I do low calorie diets with processed food, I can't seem to lose any weight.