Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portion size

Hi all !

Just curious what portion size you are able to or are supposed to take in 3 months post op. I luckily not so luckily am able to tolerate everything and want to make sure I am measuring the right amts so not to over do it. I have lost 30 pounds since surgery date 9/15 if I should have lost more by now . Right after I k ow ot was 2 tabs of food per meal but that is not enough to satisfy me anymore .

Sent from my SM-G991B using BariatricPal mobile app

This was my meal prep size for around i think 4 months or so. and even this was a little on the too much side. your stomach can hold like what 4 oz of food. so i would be going with that measurement or a little less. eat nice and slow

IMG_7469.JPG

We were told about 4 oz working up to 1 cup of food at about a year out. We should maintain the 1 cup for life.

I am 8 months post op and it really depends what foods I am eating as to how much I can eat. Everything fills me up differently. I can't eat a cup of food yet though, I don't push myself either because I am satisfied.

At almost 5 years out I still measure my food at home. I never go over 4 oz because it makes me too full. If I venture over 3.5 for too long I start putting on weight.
I find that doing 5 3 oz meals a day is best for my weight control.
This is also my surgeon’s instructions.

Yes, you should be eating more than 2 tablespoons at three months. Best to check with your dietician though to be sure as plans & your needs do differ.

I was told start with 1/4 - 1/3 cup slowly increasing to a cup as I was able which I reached at around my 6 month mark but it did depend upon what I was eating. I was barely eating 900 calories at that point.

Remember not every portion is the same & calories & nutritional content play a part too as well as the density of the food.

Oh & 30lbs is a good amount to have lost by three months. I’d lost about 33lbs at three months & my surgeon was very happy. So you’re doing well. Congrats.

First, there is no amount of weight one "should" lose by now. Everyone is different. If you are on plan you are doing great. Focus on your plan not on your scale. Get rid of your scale, it will make like much easier.

On to plan. Again, each of our plans are different. Some are better or worse but it's probably more important to learn the discipline of following a plan than the particulars of the plan.

By 3 months I was at my "forever" plan, which was 3 meals per day consisting of 3oz Protein, 1oz veggies. I can't always manage the whole meal. If I can't get past one or two bites I may try again in an hour or so.

I dump on sugar and fats, so I learned pretty quickly to avoid those. Otherwise I could eat anything. Some foods, like most snack foods, anything potato, I could eat easily and in volume. For the first two or three years I avoided such foods completely until I could master moderation, which for me was a new concept.

Surgery doesn't deal with 100% of our issues. What goes into our mouths is still a choice.

@liveaboard15 I've commented before that your pictured food would be a perfect meal and it looks delicious. The great aspect of them is that even if one is eating the chicken (as an example) for 4 or 5 meals in a row, adding and changing the sauce can still create quite a variety of flavors. BBQ, Asian, Italian, Italian, Curry... Yum.

Good luck,

Tek

My surgeons forever plan has 1/4th cup of protien and 1/4 cup of a side (veggies 3x a day, 1 daily starch, 1 daily fruit)

eat protien first, sometimes i cant eat it all or even get to my side.

At 3 months, my given goal was half cup or 112g (4 oz) a meal. Fruits and vegetables in between with a small amount of Protein like cheese. At 6 months and after, the goal given to me was 1 cup. It's usually 1/2 cup though.

I am having similar issues. I need to start measuring my foods again and eating better.