Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

15 hours ago, AWill32 said:

My date is Nov 7th and I feel not prepared at all. So I wish I could get on your level

Sent from my SM-S906U using BariatricPal mobile app

my anxiety makes me do things… if i wasn’t so nervous i would be doing at the last second !!!

12 hours ago, Muffinman1119 said:

I think most people are all guilty of this to an extent. I know I was. I bought all this stuff to make milkshakes that I got he recipes for out of gastric sleeve cookbooks and I think I made all of 3 shakes. I even bought an immersion blender to help make them. Like Ben Franklin said, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” You’re preventing being unprepared and it will be worth it in the long run.

i am worried about going too overboard… i want to so badly! i hate for things to go to waste so trying to limit stuff….enough to have variety and feel prepared but not so much that two years from now i am still looking at it lol

I have bought a RIDICULOUS amount of food containers to help with food prep and storage - that is, when I get to that stage! 😂 I found some really cute 80ml brown glass jars on Amazon which I already love and will hopefully make my tuna puree feel much more like a trendy shoreditch hipster cafe experience. If I have to only eat a couple mouthfuls of fishy paste for a meal, I want to do it in STYLE!

On 10/17/2022 at 7:18 AM, KimA-GA said:

less than 3 weeks to my surgery date, Nov 3, 2022!

I feel like I am over preparing!! save me from myself lol

I have ordered my last batch of Protein Shakes (tho most of them will be incorporated into pre op diet but will have some after) and a variety of products for my liquid phase and beyond for home and to keep at my desk at work (protein shots, bariatric Protein Soup mix, special drink mixes etc… about $100 worth total of a variety of products to try) … also already have a list of stuff to get from the grocery store before surgery for the first two weeks or so… want to be stocked up and not have to think much

also starting some nervous cleaning (which is unlike me lol) to try to make this nicer for when i get home…

please tell me I am not alone with over preparing in the final stretch before surgery!!!!

I had my surgical consultation in January - and I probably started preparing in February. We have a stable income, but it isn't huge. So, I knew I wasn't going to be able to just plunk down a big chunk of change after surgery, getting all the things I needed. I have had to try to think ahead and buy a few things each month.

I bought stuff for the hospital: a robe (was useful), abdominal binder (used for 2 days after getting home), long phone charging cable (never used, I just made sure my phone was charged before going in), and a heating pad (only tried to use after getting home).

I bought stuff for post-op recovery at home: lots of different Protein Soups, some shakes, broths, unflavored Protein Powder. I made a couple of different flavors of Jell-O and bought some snack packs. Over the last few months I had made several batches of Bone Broth to put in the freezer. I bought liquid adult Tylenol.

I bought stuff for use later on: long-handled, metal measuring scoops - 2, 4, 6 and 8 oz. Eight-oz bowls. Small-diameter plates. Little 2.5oz jars of baby food - I will try the food, but really only wanted the jars. Souper Cubes for freezing leftovers (I also used them for freezing my broth). Baby spoons. I got a 30-second and a 3-minute sand timer, for timing between bites. I got an electric mug warmer and I've really appreciated that one.

I bought a couple of small Yeti tumblers, but there has been a delay in shipping so I haven't been able to use them yet. The hope is that they will be able to replace the mug warmer, when I'm in my office, or something.

Thus far, I am happy with all of my purchases.

Something that I am now buying is underwear - of all things. For the last several years I've been wearing the "granny panties" high waisted briefs. Well, the way my surgeon did my incisions, is in a line, all going across the top of my belly - right where the elastic of my underwear sits. So, I'm having to buy bikini style undies, because folding the top of my underwear down is annoying.

In the days before my surgery, I tried to get as much gardening done as I could. I made sure that all the laundry was done and I did a little cleaning. I wasn't able to do as much as I wanted, because there were two sabbaths. I only had one day between my last day of work and the day of surgery that I could get stuff done. It was unfortunate timing.

My surgery is scheduled for 11/30 and I'm prepping too. I'm wondering if anyone has any gadgets, etc, that they purchased prior to surgery and never used it? Also, anything not thought of and wished they had?

Just watch out for the dreaded “change in taste” a lot of people experience. I learned the hard way and had to give so much away because I no longer liked or could tolerate the taste. It was an unfortunate waste of $$$ but I guess you don’t know until you have surgery and find out if your tastes change.

48 minutes ago, redhead_che said:

Just watch out for the dreaded “change in taste” a lot of people experience. I learned the hard way and had to give so much away because I no longer liked or could tolerate the taste. It was an unfortunate waste of $$$ but I guess you don’t know until you have surgery and find out if your tastes change.

I was one of those that had taste changes post surgery. Almost all the shakes were sickingly sweet tasting. My suggestion to avoid this is to shop at convenience stores and buy singles to try a bunch of diffferent shakes. Easy to find your favorite without committing to a whole case of anything. Walmart has some four packs but a lot of places you have to buy a case.

Edited by ShoppGirl

On 10/30/2022 at 8:32 PM, ShoppGirl said:

I was one of those that had taste changes post surgery. Almost all the shakes were sickingly sweet tasting. My suggestion to avoid this is to shop at convenience stores and buy singles to try a bunch of diffferent shakes. Easy to find your favorite without committing to a whole case of anything. Walmart has some four packs but a lot of places you have to buy a case.

Agree, I bought a few for the preop diet different brands and flavors and bought just enough to have a couple for the first few days after surgery, that way if my taste changes, I will not be wasting money. I also have the Isopure unflavored and fruit flavor one to tie me over, but did get Bone Broth too.

You are definitely not alone. That's why I caution others not to do what I did. I just put away in a box, a zillion different Protein powders, unflavored and flavored, Bariatric Soup and chili packets ... Etc.

I think after the first 2 weeks, I found more delicious, natural and appetizing ways to get my protein in. But here is the weird part, I still buy them from time to time if someone mentions one that I think I will like. After one serving or two servings, back in the box.

Kim, I just wanted to say Good Luck with your surgery tomorrow! I am so excited for you!!!

6 hours ago, MountainClover said:

Kim, I just wanted to say Good Luck with your surgery tomorrow! I am so excited for you!!!

Yea. Fingers crossed for a super easy recovery.

Thanks everyone!, will try to post tomorrow after!!

3 minutes ago, KimA-GA said:

Thanks everyone!, will try to post tomorrow after!!

You got this! Please let us know how it goes!

Nothing i stocked up on was eaten by me all Protein substitute, i could drink them started Whole Foods early to get down the protein via the surgeon and nutritionist. I had to give a lot away